Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-28-2010, 04:00 AM   #1
BATOUTOFHELL
MY2BABY

Drives: 2010 2ss/rs RJT
GMPP scraps producing Shorty Headers

Just found out that GMPP scapped the production of their shorty headers due to the fact they wouldn't pass emissions. Had wanted to go GMPP from headers and performance exhaust, bought the exhaust and now they're not gonna make the headers. Any ideas. Really wish I had gone aftermarket now.
BATOUTOFHELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 06:12 AM   #2
Screaminz2002

Drives: 2018 Zl1
I really think GMPP should just contract out to some different vendors. That would make a quality product that works, at a reasonable price, and GM could get mad kickbacks on installation and sells. All they have to do is test the product on the car and say "yeah, it won't blow it up".
Screaminz2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 06:44 AM   #3
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

Drives: Your new SLP Camaro!
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroScotty
I was told with the minimum HP gains of shortys, they weren't worth it.
CamaroScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:20 AM   #4
BATOUTOFHELL
MY2BABY

GMPP was where i recieved this info from. I'm considering going with the Doug Thorley Shorty's, Problem was I was also after sound and really wanted to stay complete GM. I'm really dissapointed I bought the gm performance exhaust now that I can't get the matching headers. I could have gone with matching aftermarket shortys and catbacks. But now dont really want to waste the money I spent on the exhaust. It did help performance however just dont know how to get the sound I was looking for now. thanks for the reply.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:24 AM   #5
hypurone
I'm not totally useless..

Drives: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.Nelson View Post
GMPP was where i recieved this info from. I'm considering going with the Doug Thorley Shorty's, Problem was I was also after sound and really wanted to stay complete GM. I'm really dissapointed I bought the gm performance exhaust now that I can't get the matching headers. I could have gone with matching aftermarket shortys and catbacks. But now dont really want to waste the money I spent on the exhaust. It did help performance however just dont know how to get the sound I was looking for now. thanks for the reply.
I love my DT Shorties. I think you would be more than pleased with the sound and quality of that sound. I am running a muff delete and still have my rear res (L99) and it made the tone deeper and less sharp.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:25 AM   #6
BATOUTOFHELL
MY2BABY

Check these specs

http://www.phastekperformance.com/2010-Camaro-Doug-Thorley-Shorty-Headers-p/dougthorley-camaro-thy-336-c.htm
Old 01-28-2010, 09:48 AM   #7
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Yeah - it stinks that they stopped developing them. That's what's going to happen, though, with something like this because there are so many restrictions that those short primaries impose on performance and efficiency. I read a good article on the 5.0 Coyote engine in the '11 'Stang and they took a big leap, and were it not for the stars almost aligning perfectly, they wouldn't have gotten them on the car. They're "only" worth like 6/15 RWHP/RWTQ, but that was enough to get them to the power level they wanted. It was mentioned there were so many considerations with regard to the packaging, design, cost, durability, etc; they got them to work though. It would've been nice to have gotten some nice manifolds but it is what it is.

For me, it comes down to whether-or-not the gains will be worth the price. I'm not going with LTs on this car, because the hassel, pain, and cost they've run me in the past is so not worth it. I'm only going with shorties that have CARB numbers, too, because anything else won't fly if there's a reason I have to go to a smog referee or if there's a sharp law enforcement officer. As it stands, now, it seems, to me, that DTs are about the best bet. The single complain I have about these are I wished they were T304 stainless, and not just coated. I just don't have as much confidence in coatings as I do in stainless. Other than that, the price is good, gains are great for being shorties, and it sounds like, for the most part, they go on pretty good, most of the time. If CARB numbers come on other competitors, and gains are similar, I could be swayed, but it's looking more like DTs for me.

JMVHO.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:09 AM   #8
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
JBA Ceramic coated shorties here
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:16 AM   #9
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
If you're going to invest in performance parts, you might as well invest in parts that actually perform.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:21 AM   #10
Ghost of Vincent Price
Banned

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Shorty headers are worthless. Might as well have your manifolds ported and go for a stealth approach.
Ghost of Vincent Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:52 AM   #11
ViperTomcat
Banned

Drives: 2011 Avenger Heat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Vincent Price View Post
Shorty headers are worthless. Might as well have your manifolds ported and go for a stealth approach.
Worthless is a bit much. Long Tubes and bitchin' tune are the way to go for max HP and torque, but shorties will gain you some power.

In my experience shorties and a tune to compensate for them are good for around 10 HP and 10-13 TQ over the dyno graph on average, with peaks obviously being higher.
ViperTomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:13 PM   #12
HeavyD

Drives: 1SSRS RY L99
There is nothing wrong with adding shorties. I believe that shorties don't add anything but sound if you only replace the headers. If you install a quality cat-back and CAI your shorties will flow better and get you some more power. Not everyone wants, or needs to add 75 hp with long tubes that requires illegal parts and a warranty voiding tune to get it! If you want a few more hp, good sound and still stay legal and keep your stock tune then shorties are the only way to go!
HeavyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:32 PM   #13
brAnd7onX

Drives: 2012 1SS IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyD View Post
There is nothing wrong with adding shorties. I believe that shorties don't add anything but sound if you only replace the headers. If you install a quality cat-back and CAI your shorties will flow better and get you some more power. Not everyone wants, or needs to add 75 hp with long tubes that requires illegal parts and a warranty voiding tune to get it! If you want a few more hp, good sound and still stay legal and keep your stock tune then shorties are the only way to go!
Amen.
brAnd7onX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:47 PM   #14
Jeanius

Drives: Blk/Blk 2018 Sierra SLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
If you're going to invest in performance parts, you might as well invest in parts that actually perform.

TRADED: 2016 2SS M6
Jeanius is offline   Reply With Quote