Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 10-18-2013, 02:26 PM   #1
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3/6MN ABM 1 of 23
Smile How to get the most out of your Suspension/Brake questions

I am posting this because I have been lurking through the Suspension/Brake area for the last couple of weeks and have noticed some common things that have been lacking in trying to answer common questions. Most folks just ask their question without the most common of background information needed to answer the question asked. Then responders have to waste time asking for this information while others are giving options/opinions that the OP might already have thus wasting time and space. There are just too many variables that go into even the most basic of questions let alone the more technical ones.

So with this in mind I have come up with what I think is a good format for asking question in this area. I call it the “GMMB” approach.

G= Goals: What are your goals with the car.

M=Model: What model car do you own.

M=Modifications: What are your current modifications.

B=Budget: What is your budget. If you do not have a budget or are looking for the best answer, please state so.

Answering these simple questions in your original post will greatly assist the rest of us in helping you accomplish your goals.

Note to all: if referring to a vendors package setup, Example Pedders Street kit 1, please list what is included in that kit at least once in your OP so the rest of us do not have to search out what is all included in that particular kit. There are just too many for everyone to know all of the vendor’s kits.

Another note: In some discussions it may be necessary to also delve into rim and tire combinations, please bear with us so we can provide the best answer possible.

Vendors, please make your posts relevant. Some of you are very good at this and others not so much. Posts like, “Call me and we can answer your questions”, “that is a good idea” or” That looks good” either wastes space or the reply does not benefit the whole community because the only person getting the information is the OP who calls. Vendors, if you can’t answer the question in the post without benefiting the whole community please refrain from posting. We want the answer to our technical questions, not a sales pitch. If you do that we will know who to buy from. We know you cannot post retail prices in this section so please try and fit your answers into the OP’s budget. If you think the OP’s budget is too small for their goals please also note that without getting yourself in trouble.

Edit: If you are new to the 5th Gen suspension please take the time to educate yourself with this thread all about the Camaro's suspension.
........Start here: The 5th Gen Book Chapter by Chapter

So, in the future look for the “GMMB” acronym in future posts and if someone asks what that means, refer them here.

T.

PS. If you have ideas to streamline this please feel free to share so that we can enhance this to benefit all of us.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS OWN DA CUP!!!!!

Last edited by TBone; 12-12-2013 at 03:26 PM.
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:48 PM   #2
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
TBone your back!!!!

Great idea for this thread! I too have noticed a lot of vague replies from vendors and pretty much the same questions over and over, especially when it comes to wheel hop! Answer.... CRADLE BUSHINGS!!!! Oh, and trailing arms/bushings! There, no need to ask anymore, it's right here!

Welcome back T.
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:57 PM   #3
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
Tbone excellent idea. This really applies to almost any performance questions though. I mean the same stuff should be provided when one asks what cam should I get or which heads or headers or intake or the tough one wheels...
Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:52 PM   #4
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Great suggest Tim.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:04 PM   #5
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

Thanks.

T.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS OWN DA CUP!!!!!
Old 10-31-2013, 03:46 PM   #6
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
for a great post! It helps us so much to get a little back ground info for what you are trying to accomplish and what you have already done! Help us help YOU!

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:20 PM   #7
BLACK10

Drives: 2010 CAMARO. 10.04@133mph, 1.4 60'
Great thread tbone. Let us know if we can help!

Nick
BLACK10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:59 AM   #8
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
This should be a sticky up top so ppl can read it before posting! We'll have to give it a bump once in a while to keep it at the top!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:06 AM   #9
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Outstanding post. This would be helpful in all of the technical forums.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:19 AM   #10
Dyk-NO
Trust me I'm a Scientist.

Drives: My wifey ;P
Okay I'll start it,

My goal is to achieve an aggressive stance with the capability of Autocross ing once in awhile. I know the ride will be rough but as long as its tolerable for daily driving and it's not going to give me any further issues Im fine with it.

Right now my current mods are Eibach sway bars and Megan racing coilovers I'm planning to get the Pedders bushings after I get my wheel set up figured out. I'm not sure where would I stand on improving the power for my car so yea im doing the suspensions first because i think it's the most cost efficient mod for the car.

Mods: RotoFab CAI, SW Headers, HiFlo Cats, Borla Atak Catback, Nightfury Cam, Ported Heads,Intake,TB, melling pump, Morosso Oil Separator.
Dyk-NO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 12:02 PM   #11
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

bump

T.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS OWN DA CUP!!!!!
Old 12-12-2013, 03:27 PM   #12
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

Fixed Da Link.

T.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS OWN DA CUP!!!!!
Old 12-12-2013, 11:22 PM   #13
rocketrider807

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Ill contribute:
Goals: Competitive autocross car (E-prepared)/Fun Track day car

Model: V6 LS

Modifications
: BMR Sway Bars, Lowering Springs, 20x8.5 Front Wheels & 20x10 Rear Wheels

Budget: What ever I scrounge together Monthly...so how about this. WANT list w/time line:
20x10 Front Wheels ~ $600+Tires
Coil Overs (BC will do) ~ $1000
CAI: ~$350
Headers (BBK): $700

The parts are in the order that I would purchase, hope to have the first two by the time autocross season starts, the other two will come when they come . Considering jamming bushing kits in before the power mods.
Old 12-13-2013, 01:03 PM   #14
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketrider807 View Post
Ill contribute:
Goals: Competitive autocross car (E-prepared)/Fun Track day car

Model: V6 LS

Modifications
: BMR Sway Bars, Lowering Springs, 20x8.5 Front Wheels & 20x10 Rear Wheels

Budget: What ever I scrounge together Monthly...so how about this. WANT list w/time line:
20x10 Front Wheels ~ $600+Tires
Coil Overs (BC will do) ~ $1000
CAI: ~$350
Headers (BBK): $700

The parts are in the order that I would purchase, hope to have the first two by the time autocross season starts, the other two will come when they come . Considering jamming bushing kits in before the power mods.
My first suggestions would be bushings. BMR, for your power level, would be something to look into and definitely something you would want to do before coilovers.

Speaking of which, I would suggest Pedders over BC just so you do not have to cut a hole in the trunk to adjust them(if you still have to do that). Also you can usually find a decent set used in the classifieds in the spring for a good price. Plus, they are just better IMHO.

Tires, tires, tires. This is subjective and I know I am going to catch some flack for this but "I" like a staggered setup and set my car up accordingly. Now when I say this I mean I set the sway bars, tires, etc. so the handling is more accommodating to this way of driving and car setup. If is works for the vette and ZL1 then it is ok for me. Now, you already have 8.5F and 10R rims. If you are used to these you could stick with this setup and set the car up for staggered and save some money and apply it toward tires. This is NOT for everyone and some do better with the same setup of the 1LE. This is something you will have to figure out on your own.

Tires part 2, Now.... tires are important. The stickier the better but you also have to decide if you are going to DD on these too. My vote is Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

Power, for a CAI my vote is a Halltech YellowJacket but as long as you pick one of the good ones you should be ok. Headers, I would choose one of the top three: Kooks, ARH, Pfadt, and then get them coated to keep heat down under hood. Oh damn, sorry just saw you are V6. I am not really well versed on making power on those so hopefully someone can chime in.

Otherwise good plan so far.

T.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS OWN DA CUP!!!!!

Tags
gmmb