Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 07-08-2013, 11:16 PM   #15
theragtopguy
Lifetime Philly Fan

Drives: 2015 Spring Edition 2SS M-6
I have a '12 2LT and other than the wear marks I have had no other issues with the top. I did have some water leakage that turned out to be a bad door seal, but the top has been great. Love the V-6, plenty of git up and go, plus I averaged 26 mpg on a trip down South to Hilton Head. Plenty of top up/down cycles with no issues.
Tune by DynoSteve via SCTx4 Tuner

One of 82 GF Ragtops built in '15 out of 811 Total

[/SIZE]

theragtopguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:36 PM   #16
intensifi

Drives: '12 2LT Convertible
My daily driver '12 2LT developed a frayed area due to rubbing against the back frame. The replacement top is the '13 variety with the cords keeping the top tight to the mechanism (not the frame). I have had no problems since. My car turned out to already have the newer water bag, so no issues there either.

I cycle the top several times a day. I suggest you do the same. If it fails you want it to fail under warranty.

If you buy a late '12 (after April), '13 or '14 you'll already have the updated top and water bag. So you should be good to go.

I really enjoy my car. I hope you enjoy yours.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:51 PM   #17
snaphappy

Drives: 2011 Camaro Convertible SS2/RS LS3
I have an 11 Vert. 28,000 miles. The mechanism works flawlessly, always has. Driving it is a pleasure. Life changing even, haha!

But if you're super OCD, yeah there are some rub marks where the top comes down and touches above the windshield. They're minor and I wouldn't have known about their existence without people pointing them out on this forum, haha. You're also going to get rib marks on the top itself. I could care less. And honestly, I expect to replace a convertible top, so I don't care if it look less than perfect. I'm not going to replace it any time soon, but yeah in 10 years sure.

PS my mustang top leaked. This one never has. Another thing that will blow you away is how quiet this thing is for a convertible.

Personally, I wouldn't considering the hardtop. I'd still be driving mustangs if Chevy hadn't released a vert

Edit - this was my only car and a daily driver for the first year I owned it! Best year of my life, ha!
snaphappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:45 AM   #18
OrangeVert
"Catharine"

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS-3 IOM/IO vert
Kind of late to order a 2013 model.

2011 SS/RS vert - three summers, almost 6k miles and no major issues. Couple of rub marks I wouldn't have even noticed if people here had not pointed theirs out. Had the top adjusted this spring and now is super quiet. This is a good one and I'm happy, well worth the $300+ per month (as with many) depreciation plus care & feeding. An awesome car on its own merit, even though engineering tolerances are not as tight as some imports. If I had to do it again, I'd buy another Camaro vert.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:07 AM   #19
classicrockr
Pills are for Pansies

Drives: 2023 2SS Red Hot Vert Camaro
when the top is down, make sure it sits BELOW the back frame of the storage well. Many people have had rub marks appear when the material flaps in the wind & rubs against the frame of the storage well. I finally had a top shop that knew how to properly install a new top & now it sits lower in the storage well when fully opened. Now, since it sits BELOW the rear frame, it can't flap against the frame & make rub marks.
classicrockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:39 AM   #20
hworth18
Jus' Cruzin

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS Krypton Green
I've had mine for a year now and 25,000 miles later, I am still happy with the car. I would do it all over again if I had to.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:52 AM   #21
itsjustdave
David A.

Drives: 2012 LS AGM/ '13 2SS/RS Vert SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeVert View Post
Kind of late to order a 2013 model.

2011 SS/RS vert - three summers, almost 6k miles and no major issues. Couple of rub marks I wouldn't have even noticed if people here had not pointed theirs out. Had the top adjusted this spring and now is super quiet. This is a good one and I'm happy, well worth the $300+ per month (as with many) depreciation plus care & feeding. An awesome car on its own merit, even though engineering tolerances are not as tight as some imports. If I had to do it again, I'd buy another Camaro vert.
Was doing a custom build off GM website, that's why I say 2013. Technicalities lol

THANKS ALL FOR THE INPUT AND HONEST ANSWERS
Old 07-09-2013, 07:25 AM   #22
'11 cyber grey vert
"SHARK" Born Apr.26,2011

Drives: 2011 CGM 2LT/RS Convertible
I have a 2011...I have had all the issues....The key to repairing these is to have the repairs/replacement done by an experienced dealership and/or trim shop...
My dealer has 60 years convertible experience and the trim shop that mine was subbed out to has 40 years of convertible and custom work experience.
I have had the following done 5th bow repaired, water bag replaced ,now have a 2014 top...It was tricky for the techs to install the new top they spent something like 36 hours on it.They kept changing links out and added parts to bring it up to a 2014 top and get it to where the tech was happy with the look and functionality of the top.I had the top replaced in April 2013 and have cycled it numerous times..it seems to be okay and fingers are crossed.
When the top is functioning the camaro verts are an absolute blast.

Like I said the real key is to have experienced people working on them..if not, plenty of horror stories.

also really push for a coverage letter from gm to extend the warranty on the top itself and any water penetration including the water bags just to be safe.

Gm Canada refused to issue such for me, but plenty of owners have received extended top warranties in the USA.
Good Luck with your decision.

driving a coupe= okay
driving a vert=PRICELESS
'11 cyber grey vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:37 AM   #23
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
When you have days like this that you will feel that you didn't do wrong buying a Camaro convertible.
Attached Images

Old 07-09-2013, 08:07 AM   #24
bwk1971
Res Ipsa Loquitur

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS Vert Supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mykeb View Post
I received my '13 2LT with the RS package last October, drove it through the winter here in northern Virginia (not much snow here this year) and certainly have been taking advantage of every nice day I've had the car to put the top down. I've had one minor issue with a top strut popping off the linkage and that's it. I was able to re-attach the strut and had the dealer check everything out the next day. Other than that, no issues and a permanent grin. I love this car. I recently drove out to Austin, TX and back to DC in 5 days.....did I already say I love this car?

Perhaps my only complaint (if I have to have one) is that you'll be challenged to get a set of golf clubs in the trunk with the top up and it just won't happen with the top down. Your wife will absolutely love this car.

She will want to be careful to keep a decent space between the car and curbs at the front (front clearance is low) and on the sides with the low profile tires (rim rash is easy to come by).
Same thing happene to mine. But no problems since.
bwk1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:37 AM   #25
JR 1

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Convertible
Don't let the horror stories scare you off, get the convertible. I have had two separate leaks with mine and I'm still glad I bought it (at least opposed to the coupe ) Both of my issues were fixed relatively quickly and I was able to get my carpet replaced. I haven't had any issues with rubbing or the top mechanism itself yet, and I have used the top quite a bit. The top insulates very well against sound and cold, and it fits great. There is surprisingly little wind and wind noise with the top down too. On the down side the tonneau it a PITA to install and remove, and I wouldn't drive without it above city speeds because the top flaps around way too much at higher speeds. At least the tonneau fits nicely and is stable up to triple digit speeds when installed. As many have said the key is finding a good dealership, which is not an easy thing to do. I have found a couple that are very willing to help, but most of their technicians that actually do the work are clueless. Good luck!
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:47 AM   #26
JR 1

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Convertible
Oh, I forgot to mention now that the leaks are fixed (body seal in trunk area, and drain tube in water bag) the car is very water tight! I was driving in a virtual monsoon yesterday and the carpet was dry and not so much as a drip around the window seals.
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:51 AM   #27
pannhead51

Drives: 2SS convertible
Had my 5th bow go out at 7500 miles, didn't cost a dime to fix and even the rental car was free ...other than that no complaints, love the vert !!
pannhead51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:13 AM   #28
Bodih
I Got My Orange Crush

Drives: it like I stoles it...
If you've owned convertibles in the past, you know there's allot of care and feeding that goes along with it. This is my 5th, and I can say it's probaly the best looking, best fitting, and quietest top I've owned. Even better than the BMW 3 series. Granted, some of my others reach back into the 60's.
Have I had problems? Hell yes! Top replaced, Broken 5th bow twice, WMB replaced. But that's the price I pay for buying the first model year (which I always swore I'd never do). Considering what GM went through to bring it to market during near bankruptcy, its surprising it has a top on it at all! My service department has been outstanding in response to every issue I've had (Chevrolet Customer Service, on the other hand, has not).
Convertible tops wear out and deteriorate, even if they're not used. Someday, I'll have to replace it again on my own dime, like I've done several others. In the meantime, I still love the looks of it, and enjoy every day I drive it! I don't regret buying it one bit.

My next one may not be a convertible though; I'd like to get back on the track more...

My love is in league with the freeway. Its passion will ride, as the cities fly by, and the tail-lights dissolve in the coming of night. And the questions in thousands take flight ~Robert Plant - Big Log~
Bodih is offline   Reply With Quote