Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 11-18-2013, 08:58 AM   #15
GreyLS3SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSTWIN View Post
Well, lets think about that with some logic though also.....

People that run stock suspension also are not doing a lot of aggressive auto crossing or road courses. So they won't have any issues

People that do push the cars hard have had to update the suspension to coil overs. Once you start pushing and driving hard, things break, hence the saying, you have to pay to play

Also, sometimes things break because the ride height is set too low, or improper preload on the springs or both.
preload and ride height set to Pedders specs. I would say probably spirited driving and road surface probably had something to do with it. Also no ones Quality control is perfect so the combination probably did mine in. I wish Pedders would list rebuild kits on their website because I would order it and do it my self. instead of shipping and waiting.
GreyLS3SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:27 AM   #16
oachalon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
I agree with all the statements after mine.

I understand no ones quality is perfect, I deal with that on a daily basis.

What I have observed which I could be wrong is:

The coilovers that fail seem to be at low miles
Quite a few posts it seems not many had ever been to a track

The cost of a strut/shock is quite cheap, so I don't expect it to be able to handle aggressive autocrossing or track use.

The cost of these coilovers are quite expensive, and their main purpose and reason they were created was to be used for aggressive autocrossing, and track racing. These parts which were made for these specific situations and environments and have a big cost adder seem to be failing quite a bit.

To me I look at it this way:

You have stock components. These components cost X, and are only made to work in a specific environment (street). For the most part they don't fail in this environment and the costs reflect this.

Now you have coilovers. These components Cost Y, which sometimes is 5-10times more in price that struts/shocks. They are made to work in a more extreme environment, which is reflective in their costs. But in relative terms they seem to fail more in its respective environment.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:46 PM   #17
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Alot of folks report 50-100000 miles no problems street /track, and thats with XA's as well as BC coilovers. Alot of those with G8's say the same and they have more time and miles in to.But you can have a bad set, it happens. I had konis blow in the rear over a big dip on the freeway at speed, but car was lowered and bump stop was cut down(per experts advise ) AFter that and replacing stops, no problems.
Alos I hear running the settings to high all the time will wear them sooner, but not blow them I dont think.

As to quality, other then Pfadt, all are made in Asia somewhere. In my industry and others, quality can be up or down and not consistant
VR Baron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:39 PM   #18
oachalon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
I agree there are a lot of people that have not had any problems at all.

I was just being curious and wondering what the failure rates are, and how it compares to standard oem struts/shocks.

I am not trying to talk bad about any vendors. I think Pfadt, Pedders, and BMR are all very good companies who make quality products.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:27 PM   #19
seddon

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyLS3SS View Post
Hi haven't been on in a while and not placing any blame on Pedders but I just put my car up for the winter and noticed some oil by inside R. rear tire. I jacked it up and the shock seal is blown and its leaking fluid out. Less than 3000 miles on em. Just curious and I can't find my receipt. Haven't called em yet just was curious if anyone else has had this issue?
Had the same problem with my Xa's first the driver side rear and the following summer the passenger side rear. No big problem pm pete and he will fix u up. Things break thats all, Pedders will stand by there product.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:50 PM   #20
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
Quote:
preload and ride height set to Pedders specs. I would say probably spirited driving and road surface probably had something to do with it. Also no ones Quality control is perfect so the combination probably did mine in. I wish Pedders would list rebuild kits on their website because I would order it and do it my self. instead of shipping and waiting.
Contact pete, they would most likely ship replacements to you door. age of them would probably dictate if they charge or not, or if you bought them or if they are 2nd hand ownership.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:38 PM   #21
GreyLS3SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Not having any Luck with Pedders have not returned calls or email support are they on winter break? I contacted Pedders by email on Nov. 20 still no response sent Pete an Email no response contacted by phone no one answers left message not returned as of today anyone know what is going on there? Thanks
GreyLS3SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 03:24 PM   #22
rockrau

Drives: 2010 2ss red LS3
I had to replace each of my rear XAs,Pete warranted them each time.Do not sweat it Pedders stands behind their products.Be patient & persistent.
rockrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 06:49 PM   #23
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Not having any Luck with Pedders have not returned calls or email support are they on winter break? I contacted Pedders by email on Nov. 20 still no response sent Pete an Email no response contacted by phone no one answers left message not returned as of today anyone know what is going on there? Thanks
Something is
VR Baron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:45 PM   #24
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
I strongly believe that improper installation of the rear shock is the culprit. Make sure that lower point that meets the lower control arm is timed or else it will put a side load on the shock and kill it over time. I don't tighten my lower bolt until the car is rested on the ground. Even Eibach mentions this.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:47 PM   #25
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Pete will turn up, he always does, he just maybe be busy for the moment...I haven't seen him on any social media for a few days....I know the PRI event is going on in Indy right now...
Old 12-13-2013, 03:31 PM   #26
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Quote:
Well, lets think about that with some logic though also.....

People that run stock suspension also are not doing a lot of aggressive auto crossing or road courses. So they won't have any issues

People that do push the cars hard have had to update the suspension to coil overs. Once you start pushing and driving hard, things break, hence the saying, you have to pay to play

Also, sometimes things break because the ride height is set too low, or improper preload on the springs or both.
Well said. It's amazing the coilovers we see come in for repair but breaking coilovers isn't always a bad thing. It just makes us redesign & rerelease giving an even more bulletproof product on stage 2, stage 3, and so on and so forth. As always we take care of the issue so don't be afraid to go out there and push the limits!

PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 05:50 PM   #27
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
I've pushed my car very hard. I have pushed the swaybar bushings out of the mounts, guess what, there was already a new design for us track freaks. lol
Attached Images

Old 12-16-2013, 10:21 PM   #28
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
I've pushed my car very hard. I have pushed the swaybar bushings out of the mounts, guess what, there was already a new design for us track freaks. lol
Those bushings are totally unsafe I hope you're not still using those.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote