Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 05-28-2015, 01:05 AM   #1
Jamob

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
GT500 Heat exchanger on a SS/ZL1

I started my LSA supercharger install on my 2012 Camaro SS. I purchased the kit form ADM, link below. After I did some research on the net on various forums, including this one, I found that the stock heat exchanger is simply not enough. This build was supposed to be a low cost build so I didn't want to purchase a $1k heat exchanger. On another forum, something caught my eye. Someone mentioned that people have installed the heat exchanger off of a 2012+ GT500. I thought this was crazy and interesting, but I could not find any other information on the net concerning this. So I decided to jump on it myself and try it out.

I purchased a used heat exchanger from eBay from eBay for $200. It's a dual pass and is thicker than the stock ZL1 heat exchanger. The outlet and inlet ports don't match up and brackets would have to be made but this is can work.

I'll keep this post up with pictures of my install. I'm not going to add too much stuff from the LSA supercharger install cause there is a really good one here already.

ADM Performance LSA supercharger install kit: http://lsa-conversion-store.myshopify.com/

LSA Supercharger Install: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=385577&page=6
Jamob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 02:15 AM   #2
i2disturbedSS

Drives: 2010 SS L99 IOM
Pretty cool- really interesting.
Old 05-28-2015, 05:06 AM   #3
Raven87
C'mon- really?

Drives: Looking for a ZL1
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE Black #3805 - SOLD
Raven87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 09:20 AM   #4
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamob View Post
I started my LSA supercharger install on my 2012 Camaro SS. I purchased the kit form ADM, link below. After I did some research on the net on various forums, including this one, I found that the stock heat exchanger is simply not enough. This build was supposed to be a low cost build so I didn't want to purchase a $1k heat exchanger. On another forum, something caught my eye. Someone mentioned that people have installed the heat exchanger off of a 2012+ GT500. I thought this was crazy and interesting, but I could not find any other information on the net concerning this. So I decided to jump on it myself and try it out.

I purchased a used heat exchanger from eBay from eBay for $200. It's a dual pass and is thicker than the stock ZL1 heat exchanger. The outlet and inlet ports don't match up and brackets would have to be made but this is can work.

I'll keep this post up with pictures of my install. I'm not going to add too much stuff from the LSA supercharger install cause there is a really good one here already.

ADM Performance LSA supercharger install kit: http://lsa-conversion-store.myshopify.com/

LSA Supercharger Install: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=385577&page=6
The install kit link provided doesn't appear to include the supercharger itself for that price?
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 11:47 AM   #5
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
just to illustrate the stock HE size. Here is stock versus the LPE one I just put in
Attached Images

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 12:21 PM   #6
Jamob

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
The install kit link provided doesn't appear to include the supercharger itself for that price?
They have two kits, one with and one without the supercharger. You can buy a used take off supercharger from eBay for anywhere between $400 to $650. This is what I did. All I had to do is pull the snout and replace the coupled with the solid version.
Old 05-28-2015, 12:37 PM   #7
Jamob

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlapZL1 View Post
just to illustrate the stock HE size. Here is stock versus the LPE one I just put in
I don't have photos comparing the ZL1 heat exchanger to the GT500 but I do have dimensions.

Stock ZL1: 11x29x1.2
GT500: 11x31x4.5
Old 05-28-2015, 12:47 PM   #8
Jamob

Here is a pick of the heat exchanger from a 2012+ GT500. Note that there are a few brackets that need to be cut off. Also, the outlet port on the top would need to be cut down or moved. I cut mine down to clear the front grill.
Attached Images

Old 05-28-2015, 01:03 PM   #9
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
The stock ZL1 hoses might be a good starting point for you. Other than the left side having a built in 90º, they are in the same relative location.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 01:04 PM   #10
Jamob

ok. Here is a picture of the heat exchanger installed without the front bumper cover. As you can see, it takes up a lot of space. I had thought about running fans but with a 4.5" width, there was no way I was going to be able to fit fans on it. I had plan to running my lines on the driver side so I had no issues with the way it's routed. This may pose as a problem for a ZL1 but if you had the outlet neck rotated down, i'm sure this could be managed. I did have to remove the trim of the air trey (if thats what is called). Which means I had to relocate the ambient air temp sensor. There is good enough room between the AC condenser and the heat exchanger and the front bumper. The GT500 brackets almost made it to the stock holes on the radiator frame support. It was off by at least 1.5". There was enough length to avoid making a bracket. I did, however, needed to make long spacers for the bolts that attached to the heat exchanger to the radiator support frame. This can be seen on one of the attached images.
Attached Images

Old 07-17-2015, 04:58 PM   #11
Jamob

****Update****

I've been driving around in the car with the LSA blower for a month already, pushing 9lbs of boost. Since I installed the heat exchanger, I added a 11" radiator fan mounter between the HE and the bumper guard. I did have to shift the HE back 1/2 inch, but every fits fine.

Also, running 100% filtered water with Redline waterwetter

Results: Ambient temps vs IAT
Ambient Temp: 75F
70mph cruising: 79F
Stop and go traffic 40MPH: 85F
3min idle after driving: ~85F from 90F
WOT 1/8 mile run: 110F from 85F
Time to drop 25 degrees from 110F: 5min @ idle

Last edited by Jamob; 07-17-2015 at 05:51 PM.
Old 07-17-2015, 11:13 PM   #12
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
Very nice! I like the mod... Super job on working down those temps...

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 12:11 AM   #13
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Interesting...

How much was the total cost of all this?
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 02:08 PM   #14
vicnkathy
Account Suspended

Drives: 2014 Subaru Forester Turbo
Nice work
vicnkathy is offline   Reply With Quote