Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 07-27-2013, 08:40 AM   #253
chef-beavis

Drives: IOM 2013 2SS/RS, Greenie, 06 FXSTBi
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe@NightOwlLEDs View Post
Of course we will be there. Can't wait to see all of you that are coming, and can't wait to see your creations! I have a feeling that the cars with NightOwl systems will be a stand-out this year.

We'll be bringing our Black Ice camaro again this year, as well as a new NightOwl camaro that is still under construction.
My boy is gonna freak!!!
chef-beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:27 AM   #254
Deke736
COTW 12/3/12

Drives: 2012 Ashen Gray ZL1
I'll be there with mine as well. Finishing up a lighting project today in anticipation for the Fest!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-27-2013, 05:56 PM   #255
RpdFire

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS
Hey guys I got min installed this weekend and they look great.

The one thing I did not like about the whole things was master module being in the center console. it is just awkward with the short cable and takes up to much space. So this is what I did.

I took a mini USB adapter from Powergen, similar to the one that comes with the kit, and cut it along the edges with a dremmel. Open it up and this is what you get.

The spring is the positive and tabs on the side are negative. I just de-soldered these and solder on some 14 gauge wire ( I only had one colors so I just put some black tape on the ground).

I added some quick disconnects so I could easily unhook it. A ring connector for the ground and a "add-a-fuse" for power.

Then used some heat shrink tubing over the whole thing. Get the good kind that shrinks to 1/3 it's original size. Got mine at harbor freight, it was labeled as marine heat shrink tubing. all the others only shrink to 1/2 their original size.

Now in the car just goto the fuse panel inside where you put the jumper in for the nightowl installation. The ground went to the black bolt on the dash frame and I put the add-a-fuse with the trunk fuse. But any that are on all the time will work.
Then ran the wires behind the vent and plugged in the master module. Now it is hidden out of sight all the time and the antenna is up near the window so it's a win win!

Hope this can help you guys out. I suppose you could also buy a 12v outlet or a 12v splitter and cut the ends and wire it. might be good if you don't have soldering equipment as there probably is room for that to fit. But I wanted to to be small and compact as possible so if I wanted to move it under the hood in the fuse box I could.

Last edited by RpdFire; 07-27-2013 at 10:13 PM.
RpdFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:43 AM   #256
CamaroI

Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro
how is the distance of the antenna. do you have to be standing right up on the car for it to work or can you be a good distance away??
CamaroI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:18 AM   #257
chef-beavis

Drives: IOM 2013 2SS/RS, Greenie, 06 FXSTBi
I did most of my initial programming from inside my house with the car in he garage. About thirty feet away through two or three walls.
chef-beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:50 PM   #258
Joe@NightOwlLEDs

Drives: 2011 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroI View Post
how is the distance of the antenna. do you have to be standing right up on the car for it to work or can you be a good distance away??
We did a lot of testing with this. The only answer I can give you is "it depends". The biggest factor in our testing seems to be the mobile device itself. Even some cases effect the distance. We have seen one of our customers using his iPhone over 100 ft. from his car. I'm able to get around 30ft reliably. Things to help distance would be non-metallic window tint, opening the center console lid, or even if you want further distance or mount the master in a different location, you could get an external antenna on a long cable and run it through your firewall. I think that most people are satisfied with the distance.
Joe@NightOwlLEDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:58 PM   #259
Joe@NightOwlLEDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RpdFire View Post

The one thing I did not like about the whole things was master module being in the center console. it is just awkward with the short cable and takes up to much space. So this is what I did.

I took a mini USB adapter from Powergen, similar to the one that comes with the kit, and cut it along the edges with a dremmel. Open it up and this is what you get.

The spring is the positive and tabs on the side are negative. I just de-soldered these and solder on some 14 gauge wire ( I only had one colors so I just put some black tape on the ground).

I added some quick disconnects so I could easily unhook it. A ring connector for the ground and a "add-a-fuse" for power.

Then used some heat shrink tubing over the whole thing. Get the good kind that shrinks to 1/3 it's original size. Got mine at harbor freight, it was labeled as marine heat shrink tubing. all the others only shrink to 1/2 their original size.

Now in the car just goto the fuse panel inside where you put the jumper in for the nightowl installation. The ground went to the black bolt on the dash frame and I put the add-a-fuse with the trunk fuse. But any that are on all the time will work.
Then ran the wires behind the vent and plugged in the master module. Now it is hidden out of sight all the time and the antenna is up near the window so it's a win win!

Hope this can help you guys out. I suppose you could also buy a 12v outlet or a 12v splitter and cut the ends and wire it. might be good if you don't have soldering equipment as there probably is room for that to fit. But I wanted to to be small and compact as possible so if I wanted to move it under the hood in the fuse box I could.
Thanks Chris for the great write-up. For anyone not able or willing to do something like this, they can contact us directly. We'll try to help anyone out that really wants to customize their mounting location of the master module. I have seen one car here at camarofest that did something similar, but I think he just used a cigarette power outlet and just plugged in the power adapter that is included in the kit. I'll try to get the info on what outlet he used because it seemed very small.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:24 PM   #260
2012LFX-RS
aka "BLACK CARBON"

Drives: 2012 Camaro LT w/RS Package
will any of your controllers work on the Oracle halos? I have halos in the headlights and the fog lights.
Alpine IVE-W535HD DVD Player w/Metra Kit | Alpine SPR-60C component kit | JL Audio 10w3v3 Stealth box | JL Audio JX 1000/1 AMPLIFIER | JL AUDIO XD 400/4 AMPLIFIER | MRT V2 Exhaust | Cold Air Inductions Intake | OEM Gas Cap | Carbon Fiber Bowties | Gray Metallic Rally Stripes | 50% Window Tint | Black Smoked AAC Sidemarkers | ZL1 Bumper Conversion | Technostalgia Tail Lights | Blacked Out Tail Light Bezels | Oracle Color Shift Headlight & Fog Light Halos | Night Owl SL Module
2012LFX-RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:33 PM   #261
CamaroI

As you know placed my order this weekend and looking forward to installing them. I have TONS of lights and will be interesting to emblem pros cup holder switches and monster switch for the armrest.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:48 PM   #262
Joe@NightOwlLEDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012LFX-RS View Post
will any of your controllers work on the Oracle halos? I have halos in the headlights and the fog lights.
Absolutely! We haven't officially released our SL modules yet, but I'll contact you about them. You would be able to control both halo rings and both fog rings with a single SL module, and all 4 would be independent. This way they could all do the same thing, or separate for some cool effects.

Quote:
As you know placed my order this weekend and looking forward to installing them. I have TONS of lights and will be interesting to emblem pros cup holder switches and monster switch for the armrest.
Yes, thanks for your order. We've been traveling the past couple of weeks and are working through our backlog of orders. Yours should ship tomorrow or Thursday. Can't wait to see your creations. We seen some pretty amazing NightOwl systems at Camaro Fest.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:07 PM   #263
CamaroI

Quote:
Originally Posted by RpdFire View Post

Anyway you could make me one of these?? Willing to pay
Old 08-13-2013, 06:48 AM   #264
Joe@NightOwlLEDs

Quote:
Anyway you could make me one of these?? Willing to pay
I got you covered. I'd recommend that you install this on a switch so that you can power off the master when not in use. I'll send you one of these with just the wires so that you can run it to a switch, and then to a fuse. When the master is turned off, all lights will automatically go to their default color/brightness, whatever you set each to be.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:50 AM   #265
CamaroI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe@NightOwlLEDs View Post
I got you covered. I'd recommend that you install this on a switch so that you can power off the master when not in use. I'll send you one of these with just the wires so that you can run it to a switch, and then to a fuse. When the master is turned off, all lights will automatically go to their default color/brightness, whatever you set each to be.
Sounds great Joe. Thanks for all your help. Cannot wait to get everything up and running.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:53 PM   #266
HarryNW
HarryNW

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS Black (LS3)
Very interested in doing this as well. I could also solder, but if you are thinking of a better switched solution, would love to hear about it.

By the way, a ton of attention on the NightOWl setup on my car at a recent meet-up (over 90 cars) here in WA. Not a single person had heard of NightOwl, not even the folks that had installed Oracle, many of which asked if this "new NightOwl system" was compatible, etc. I gave high marks on ease of install and showed off the app and they were absolutely floored and asked where to find more info.

I pointed them to search on this forum, so hoping you will see some Q&A. You guys need to see about getting the name out there!

HarryNW