Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 02-21-2013, 12:16 AM   #29
47AJV8

Drives: A White Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullF-16 View Post
12 oz of torco mixed with 15 gallons of 91 oct would put you at 93.

Its about 19 bucks and some change by the 6 pack per quart

or $13.75 per quart if you buy the 5 gallon drum.

So about 10 extra bucks per fillup. I think its worth it for the piece of mind.

http://torcoracefuel.net/2-docs/acce...lend-chart.pdf
Thanks guys, seems like the way to go, it's too bad gas is already about $4.40 a gallon for premium here!
Old 02-21-2013, 01:18 AM   #30
fastvee
Banned

Drives: 2011 CTS-V, 2010 SS

Wish people would realize the advantages of meth...

Oh well.
fastvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:21 PM   #31
BullF-16
USAF retired! Thank God!

Drives: 2011 1SS, 1LT red,1LT/RS SGM 98Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastvee View Post

Wish people would realize the advantages of meth...

Oh well.
Meth is nice but not a fail safe. I thought last March my Stock bottom end was safe with all the safeguards in place. I was on a mission to push this motor to its breaking point since i had HKE starting on my LSX

I had a tune by Taylor at Dallas Performance (he is highly reputable),

I had the ALKY meth setup,

I either blended 3 gal Sunoco 104 or 16 oz Torco per tank. (it was tuned with just 93 octane in the tank) My in tank octane was 95.5

I would even prime the Meth with the test button until the car would bog down and i would see the AFR go full rich. This was to make sure there was no delay in the meth hitting the intake. I did this at every start up!

On a 1st-4th pull......huge cloud of smoke and check engine lites etc. Anyway, result was a piece of the #5 top ringland either burning up or breaking off. The car was very driveable just did not like boost a whole bunch.

My fueling was Twin LPE setup with 65# injectors (this was cutting it close BTW) but Taylor at DP said the Meth would take care of it

I was at about 11-12 psi and 715 rwhp.

I was at 637rwhp and about 7 psi for 5000 miles and 715whp and 11-12 for about 1600 miles before this happened.

Here you can see the results. this past weekend i finally tore into the motor. Good news is no damage to the walls at all. I was gonna sleeve it now i may just hone it and stroke it to a 417 and have a spare or drop into my 83 K-10 4x4

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=277538
HKE LSX427(Mast blk lbl 305 6bolt LS7heads, PatG231/246 blower cam, RWHP/TQ: 1281/1133 SNL Performance Custom Twin PT6766 BB turbos 4 to 25psi selectable on the Boost Leash controller, Squash dual 400LPH/ID2000s, ALKY 4 gal meth, Autometer AFR/Bst/oilpres/oiltemp/fuelpress gauges, Pedders Justice road crs pkg: All HD bushes, supercar 12kg coil overs, supercar ZL1 sways, camber plates all setup by JusticePete! :Gforce 9" 35spline S-Trac, 1500hp Outlaw axles, 3.5"alum DS, Monster Triple disc; 4xForgeline 19x10.5 4xBridgestone 305/30R19 RE-11, CTS-v calipers/rotors/Cobalt friction XR1/3 pads
BullF-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:00 PM   #32
fastvee
Banned

Quote:

Meth is nice but not a fail safe. I thought last March my Stock bottom end was safe with all the safeguards in place. I was on a mission to push this motor to its breaking point since i had HKE starting on my LSX

I had a tune by Taylor at Dallas Performance (he is highly reputable),

I had the ALKY meth setup,

I either blended 3 gal Sunoco 104 or 16 oz Torco per tank. (it was tuned with just 93 octane in the tank) My in tank octane was 95.5

I would even prime the Meth with the test button until the car would bog down and i would see the AFR go full rich. This was to make sure there was no delay in the meth hitting the intake. I did this at every start up!

On a 1st-4th pull......huge cloud of smoke and check engine lites etc. Anyway, result was a piece of the #5 top ringland either burning up or breaking off. The car was very driveable just did not like boost a whole bunch.

My fueling was Twin LPE setup with 65# injectors (this was cutting it close BTW) but Taylor at DP said the Meth would take care of it

I was at about 11-12 psi and 715 rwhp.

I was at 637rwhp and about 7 psi for 5000 miles and 715whp and 11-12 for about 1600 miles before this happened.

Here you can see the results. this past weekend i finally tore into the motor. Good news is no damage to the walls at all. I was gonna sleeve it now i may just hone it and stroke it to a 417 and have a spare or drop into my 83 K-10 4x4

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=277538

Meth isn't a replacement for injectors.
Meth is a replacement when you can't get better fuel. There obvious ways to make meth 100% safe. 1 is having AIR INTAKE TEMP gauge. Meth is working it's obviously cooler. But when you notice you air intake temp not getting cooler you know your pump has gone and you stay off boost.

In your case you just didn't have enough injectors and you leaned out a cylinder. Happens plenty. I bet with better injectors your stock bottom end would still be fine. Of course there's obvious limitations of boost.... I mean the stock bottom end isn't going to handle 16+ psi for very long, not even with race gas.

My 5th gen has been at 630rwhp for 6,500 miles with TONS of meth... I'm talking about starting injection at 1psi and full injection at 3-4psi, and I've had absolutely no problems, besides friend redlining car too hard and breaking my valve springs.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:56 PM   #33
BullF-16
USAF retired! Thank God!

Drives: 2011 1SS, 1LT red,1LT/RS SGM 98Z28
Quote:
Meth isn't a replacement for injectors.
Meth is a replacement when you can't get better fuel. There obvious ways to make meth 100% safe. 1 is having AIR INTAKE TEMP gauge. Meth is working it's obviously cooler. But when you notice you air intake temp not getting cooler you know your pump has gone and you stay off boost.

In your case you just didn't have enough injectors and you leaned out a cylinder. Happens plenty. I bet with better injectors your stock bottom end would still be fine. Of course there's obvious limitations of boost.... I mean the stock bottom end isn't going to handle 16+ psi for very long, not even with race gas.

My 5th gen has been at 630rwhp for 6,500 miles with TONS of meth... I'm talking about starting injection at 1psi and full injection at 3-4psi, and I've had absolutely no problems, besides friend redlining car too hard and breaking my valve springs.
I do have a gauge set up to display inlet temps. That was part of my priming routine. Also prior to getting on it i would press the test button and watch the inlet temp plummet 50 deg in a matter of seconds.

Like i said, i was on a mission to see how much abuse it would take. I usually dont fail on my missions

Once i pulley'd down and added the meth as well as all the GForce stuff and RXT clutch i consumed approximately 6 gallons of meth is about 1500-1600 miles. Something was gonna give! And it did. These pistons are dinky compared to my Wiseco's im running now.

If you press this bottom end you better have a backup plan. Which i did!
HKE LSX427(Mast blk lbl 305 6bolt LS7heads, PatG231/246 blower cam, RWHP/TQ: 1281/1133 SNL Performance Custom Twin PT6766 BB turbos 4 to 25psi selectable on the Boost Leash controller, Squash dual 400LPH/ID2000s, ALKY 4 gal meth, Autometer AFR/Bst/oilpres/oiltemp/fuelpress gauges, Pedders Justice road crs pkg: All HD bushes, supercar 12kg coil overs, supercar ZL1 sways, camber plates all setup by JusticePete! :Gforce 9" 35spline S-Trac, 1500hp Outlaw axles, 3.5"alum DS, Monster Triple disc; 4xForgeline 19x10.5 4xBridgestone 305/30R19 RE-11, CTS-v calipers/rotors/Cobalt friction XR1/3 pads
BullF-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:11 PM   #34
LeanPocket

Drives: 2010 2SS
Every car would be different. In the hands of a well paid tuner (none of this handheld bs) mixed with the proper octane, the engine will last a VERY long time (if not the life of the car) Grabbing a wideband well keep yourself in check.

These engines never cease to impress me. Saw a stock bottom end 5.3 paired with a off the shelf 224 cam push over 900 horsepower on a dyno not to long ago.
LeanPocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:45 PM   #35
Mchlgrrsn
Stroked and blown

Drives: 2010 LS3 2SS
Should. If. But. Except. These words all come into mind when trying to answer the question. There is no answer. A supercharger does not help make your engine last longer any way you dice it up. A supercharger makes your car faster and that's it. Enjoy while it lasts. I'm sure people will disagree but I feel the 100k mark is when you can start to expect trouble. Put the supercharger on, enjoy it and look to sell the car after you get 90k miles of fun out of it
LME 416 LS3 shortblock/Callies Compstar 4340 4"crank/Callies 6.125 H beams rods/Wiesco 4.07 forged pistons/Cam Motion custom LS1/LME ported heads /maggie TVS2300/I West 8rib 10%OD /3.2 pulley/OD cog drive/JRE tensioner/ID850 /ADM dual fuel/Kooks LT 1 7/8/magna flow2.5 /cat delete/Roto Fab CAI /MGW short throw /SPEC super twin clutch/G Force built trans,carbon syncro rear shaft upgrade /DSS 9"single CF DS /Strange 3.70/31 spline trutrac/MT DR's/earls oil cooler /tuned KHC
Mchlgrrsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:19 AM   #36
StephenS_84
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mchlgrrsn View Post
Should. If. But. Except. These words all come into mind when trying to answer the question. There is no answer. A supercharger does not help make your engine last longer any way you dice it up. A supercharger makes your car faster and that's it. Enjoy while it lasts. I'm sure people will disagree but I feel the 100k mark is when you can start to expect trouble. Put the supercharger on, enjoy it and look to sell the car after you get 90k miles of fun out of it
I disagree.
StephenS_84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:29 AM   #37
K32 Camaro
V8 lounge member #5

Drives: 12 2SS Synergy Camaro, 05 PontiacG6
Quote:
I plan on rebuilding rather than selling but I agree. 100k is when every car I ever had started having multiple random issues.
K32 Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:03 PM   #38
fastvee
Banned

Quote:
Wrong.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:37 PM   #39
Mchlgrrsn
Stroked and blown

Drives: 2010 LS3 2SS
Quote:
Wrong.

A man of few words. Lol
LME 416 LS3 shortblock/Callies Compstar 4340 4"crank/Callies 6.125 H beams rods/Wiesco 4.07 forged pistons/Cam Motion custom LS1/LME ported heads /maggie TVS2300/I West 8rib 10%OD /3.2 pulley/OD cog drive/JRE tensioner/ID850 /ADM dual fuel/Kooks LT 1 7/8/magna flow2.5 /cat delete/Roto Fab CAI /MGW short throw /SPEC super twin clutch/G Force built trans,carbon syncro rear shaft upgrade /DSS 9"single CF DS /Strange 3.70/31 spline trutrac/MT DR's/earls oil cooler /tuned KHC
Mchlgrrsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:51 PM   #40
UNRIVALED SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Send a message via Yahoo to UNRIVALED SS
I would really be amazed to see an engine that would last 100K in my car the way I drive it. That just makes it more fun for me! Why have the power if you never race or use it? If you don't make it go fast , you might as well have one of those Dodge station wagons. Just enjoy it while it last and be prepared to fix it.
UNRIVALED SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:58 PM   #41
fastvee
Banned

Quote:
I do have a gauge set up to display inlet temps. That was part of my priming routine. Also prior to getting on it i would press the test button and watch the inlet temp plummet 50 deg in a matter of seconds.

Like i said, i was on a mission to see how much abuse it would take. I usually dont fail on my missions

Once i pulley'd down and added the meth as well as all the GForce stuff and RXT clutch i consumed approximately 6 gallons of meth is about 1500-1600 miles. Something was gonna give! And it did. These pistons are dinky compared to my Wiseco's im running now.

If you press this bottom end you better have a backup plan. Which i did!
Haha I understand constant FORCED abuse and lots of boost will not make these engines last..... same for any engine really. But these engines can last quite a while at moderate boost levels and pushing quite a bit of power. Like I said my 5th gen has been almost a year at over 600rwhp and the only problem has been over reved springs broke.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:26 PM   #42
VADER SS L99

Drives: 2013 A6 GT 5.0
I have one example of how long the LS motor can last under boost. Know a guy with a 4th gen who has full bolt ons, EPP boost cam, D1SC at about 8psi, upgraded injectors, fuel pump and meth. Car has over 125k and a untouched stock short block. Actually I dont think the heads have even been pulled. FYI the rods on the LS1 are not as strong as those in our LS3's. He also beats the sh!t out of the car. Goes to the track often and runs 10's consistently.

I see lots of poeple going over 80percent IDC and I think wow you are just asking for trouble. Same goes for all those who run just a boost a pump over 500rwhp. Just because your not running lean on the dyno doesnt mean your getting enough fuel pressure guys. If you have enough fuel supply, good octane and a great tune on 9psi or less I see no reason why the stock motor on boost can't last as long as stock. Remember Fuel, octane, tune, and low boost and you will be good for many many trouble free miles.

Tags
life, motor, supercharged