Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 07-17-2012, 01:27 AM   #1
Chef Camaro
Cooking is My Life.

Drives: 2012 1LS
Question Non-BA aftermarket Amp and Sub Install?

I'm brand new to this whole audio scene and recently got two MTX Subs, and a Volfenhag Amp, and 1.5ohm Capacitor given to me. My brother said if I could pull it I could have it so I got them, along with all the wires. My main question I guess is, is it relatively easy (or even possible) to install this equipment in my Camaro? I drive a 2012 1LS with no audio upgrades, so I'm wondering if I can just drop these in and splice a couple wires? or do I need to buy "x, y, z" parts and harnesses or adapters. Any help or forwards to appropriate threads would be great. Thanks guys!

My Build Thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=222338
Chef Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:12 AM   #2
BreakingBad
MAGA

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS
Well, hate to burst your bubble but with the Camaro's the climate controls and radio are all integrated together, so you need a dash kit. Alpine makes one, same with Scosche and Metra. Nobody likes the Metra, Alpine limits what units you can use (i think you need an alpine in dash to go with it) and Scosche seems to be the most popular and flexible. The GM adapter you need is integrated into these dash kits. Once you install the dash kits and head unit, you can install the stereo like anything else, just be aware of the space confines. Check out '********'
“Freedom is not defined by safety. Freedom is defined by the ability of citizens to live without government interference. Government cannot create a world without risks, nor would we really wish to live in such a fictional place. Only a totalitarian society would even claim absolute safety as a worthy ideal, because it would require total state control over its citizens’ lives. Liberty has meaning only if we still believe in it when terrible things happen and a false government security blanket beckons.” - Ron Paul
BreakingBad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:48 PM   #3
yzark99
I run 2 catch cans...

Drives: 2012 1LT SIM Auto
You don't need a new head unit. Hook the sub amp up to your rear speakers. If the amp has high-level input, you can hook up the rear speaker wires directly to the amp. If it has RCA in only, you will need a line-out converter (LOC) to take the speaker signal and turn it into RCA for the amp.

Run a power line with a fuse from the battery to the amp, and run another line from the amp to a ground. Run a turn-on lead from the rear 12 volt jack. Mount the speakers in a box, and run speaker wires from the amp to the box.

You just need a subwoofer box, maybe a LOC, and a few hours. Most of the expense is in the amps and subs. I did this same type of install using the stock radio, and my subwoofer has zero problems.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10490
yzark99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:54 PM   #4
yzark99
I run 2 catch cans...

Drives: 2012 1LT SIM Auto
Hey BreakingBad, did you get the ID ctx65cs tweeters to fit into the stock pods? How do these speakers sound compared to stock?
yzark99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:57 PM   #5
jeepguy_1980

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakingBad View Post
Well, hate to burst your bubble but with the Camaro's the climate controls and radio are all integrated together, so you need a dash kit. Alpine makes one, same with Scosche and Metra. Nobody likes the Metra, Alpine limits what units you can use (i think you need an alpine in dash to go with it) and Scosche seems to be the most popular and flexible. The GM adapter you need is integrated into these dash kits. Once you install the dash kits and head unit, you can install the stereo like anything else, just be aware of the space confines. Check out '********'

This is completely bad advice. This has nothing to do with installing an amp and subs.

I too have a non-BA car (basic audio system) and I modified a PAC GM44 harness to use for my 5-channel amp install.

Check out these threads:

http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread...1&postcount=16
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230255
jeepguy_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:53 PM   #6
Chef Camaro
Cooking is My Life.

Drives: 2012 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by yzark99 View Post
You don't need a new head unit. Hook the sub amp up to your rear speakers. If the amp has high-level input, you can hook up the rear speaker wires directly to the amp. If it has RCA in only, you will need a line-out converter (LOC) to take the speaker signal and turn it into RCA for the amp.

Run a power line with a fuse from the battery to the amp, and run another line from the amp to a ground. Run a turn-on lead from the rear 12 volt jack. Mount the speakers in a box, and run speaker wires from the amp to the box.

You just need a subwoofer box, maybe a LOC, and a few hours. Most of the expense is in the amps and subs. I did this same type of install using the stock radio, and my subwoofer has zero problems.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10490
Yeah i had come across your thread before i had posted this one, to try and get some bearing and ideas, i do have a box, but damn these small accesses to the camaro's trunk the box is too big, they're two 12" MTX subs in a ported box so i'm going to have to fabricate my own and try to see what i can whip up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepguy_1980 View Post
This is completely bad advice. This has nothing to do with installing an amp and subs.

I too have a non-BA car (basic audio system) and I modified a PAC GM44 harness to use for my 5-channel amp install.

Check out these threads:

http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread...1&postcount=16
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230255
Thanks jeepguy, i will have to read up on these pac's and loc's to figure my situation out. Biggest thing that really concerns me is i'm nowhere near even a wiring novice so i'm gonna be trying to figure out what to get and how to install it.

My Build Thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=222338
Chef Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:27 AM   #7
Double D Mods

Drives: 2012 Grand Sport Convertible Vette
Pac Harness works great
we have them instock as well

http://shop.doubledmods.com/searchqu...ywords=aa+gm44
Double D Mods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:52 PM   #8
xkloid
ITZ COOL

Drives: 2012 IBM 2SS/RS
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzark99 View Post

Run a power line with a fuse from the battery to the amp, and run another line from the amp to a ground. Run a turn-on lead from the rear 12 volt jack.
Where is the 12 volt jack, are you talking about the rear cigarette lighter? Is there anywhere to get that blue remote turn on wire (position 43) in the trunk area, and how to get to it??? Any pics? Thanks
xkloid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:39 PM   #9
xkloid
ITZ COOL

Heh, I found the wire, well actually the pin...INSIDE the radio! Yeah I tried adding a pin to the harness, but no luck, even with two dealerships trying to find the right size pin. Thanks for the help Jeepguy. Anyway, I opened up the radio (non-BA) and simply cut the harness post for pin 43, bent it back slightly and slid on one of the female terminals with wire already on it. I bought the female terminal at the dealership for $2.50. I ran the remote enable wire out the back of the radio, after putting a knot in before putting it through, so that no tension would be applied to the circuit board if it was yanked. The remote enable wire works like a charm. Anyway the post to cut is the second one in on the top row. You get to it by removing the heat plate, fan, and a bunch of screws. If anyone wants to do this, just PM me if youneed any more info.
Old 09-01-2012, 03:02 AM   #10
xkloid
ITZ COOL

I also added the remote wire to a relay (SPST 30 amp from radio shack) and that protects the remote wire from using too much draw and allows me to use it to turn on any number of devices when the radio comes on. I did this because I added some pc fans for air flow. My amp is nice and cool now always. I can also use it if I add a second amp just for the subs, right now I have 2 channels bridged for it.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:51 AM   #11
ecko04

Drives: Too many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakingBad View Post
LMFAO!!! A lot of WRONG information in that post.
ecko04 is offline   Reply With Quote