Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-22-2011, 11:05 PM   #1
marticus24

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Thumbs up Livernois 2c cam kit - Review, Vid and graph

Well - I've had it for a couple of weeks now - I've only been able to drive it a few times since we've had NOTHING but rain here in beautiful MI for the past couple of weeks, but I've driven it enough to be able to give it a solid review... so, here goes.

(BEWARE - long, but worth a read if you're interested in similar work - I know I would've appreciated a thorough review when doing my homework)

Livernois - I can't say enough good things about these guys. I'm VERY lucky in that I'm local and can drive < 30 minutes and be at one of the best shops in the country!

I started my research back in late January when I found out that I'd scored a side-job that would likely get me enough $ for a sweet cam. I immediately engaged Andy and asked what cam they'd recommend for somebody that wanted to gain some nice power with an LS3 (I already had full catback, CAI, long tubes), would give me a nice lopey sound, yet still maintain good drive-ability... I was OK with a SMALL trade-off in drive-ability and wanted the most aggressive cam I could get while keeping that in mind. After talking about the cams they offer, he was very confident that their 2c cam kit would be a perfect fit, especially since I already had the supporting exhaust mods. So over the next couple of months I did my research and learned all about cam specs, priced another vendor and talked to them, but still ended up at Livernois for various reasons.

A week after dropping it off, let me just say - they were dead-nuts on with their recommendation. The car gained 47rwhp and 18rwtq, sounds amazing and IS A BEAST! I've hardly had the opportunity to really get on it, but the times I have it just pulls and pulls and wants to keep going. I need to get to the strip to really stretch her legs out.

It made my exhaust note sound much sweeter, has the perfect amount of lope and drives almost like stock. There IS some minor surging if you're cruising at lower RPMs (below 1300'ish) at lower speeds with little to no throttle applied, but hardly noticeable and well worth it. And the best part is that this cam is blower friendly... guess that may be next

The staff was always friendly and very thorough. I think I'd already posted in another thread that Andy had found some VERY VERY tiny chips on the inside edge of my door when doing the drop-off inspection, chips that I didn't know were there - and I'm pretty meticulous about my finish, junkman style. So, I appreciate that kind attention to detail when it comes to my car; things like that really help you to know your car is in good hands.

Over the course of my research Andy and I had exchanged over 50 emails back and forth and he always answered my questions, was polite, and most importantly, was honest. It was this, coupled with their stellar reputation, and the vids/reviews of other work they'd done that sold me on the shop. While my car was there, I got updates when I asked for them and Rick was awesome enough to document the build with pics and vid of the final dyno pull - something that was very important to me.

Overall they did a wonderful job - not a scratch on my exterior, no muddy boot prints, greasy hand prints, or dirt on my interior, and the engine bay was also spotless... my car was returned to me exactly as I'd dropped it off - except much more bad ass... something that is hard to find these days when leaving your child (yes, child) with somebody for some work.

I’m VERY happy with the cam selection and the work done on the car. Kudos to Andy, Rick and everyone else at Livernois - VERY stand-up shop, well deserving of the reputation they have. I know where I'm going when I'm ready for a blower, gears, and other supporting mods.

If you're interested in the cam, or have any questions about my experience, feel free to post or PM me.

The fun stuff is below!

Cam specs:
117 LSA 224/236 .608/.608
(Andy or Rick - please correct me if I'm wrong)

Graph:

Vids:
Includes start-up, idle, revs, dyno, walk-around, and interior idle

Vid by Livernios

Sound before the cam (if interested)
marticus24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 09:46 AM   #2
camarohead

Drives: 2010 ss rs ls3 red-white rallys
great set up there. those seem to be some great specs for our fifth gens. looking to get a cam and trying to determine what kind of specs to get. livernois has definetly done their homework on a good street cam for our cars..
Old 04-23-2011, 10:00 AM   #3
Andy@Livernois

Drives: 1987 Buick Regal Turbo-T
Marty, as always thank you for your kind words. Hopefully we will have some better weather here soon so you can enjoy it more
Andy@Livernois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 10:14 AM   #4
Silver Ice

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss-rs
Looks and sounds great
Pfadt rear tie rods
Pfadt rear trailing arms
Pfadt rear lower control arm reinforcement bracket
Kooks Long tube headers and high flow cats
Airaid Cold air intake
Magnaflow catback exhaust
Mti short throw shifter
Jannetty tune
Silver Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:32 AM   #5
jsharp
NOW CAMMED & SUPERCHARGED

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black w/ IOM
I know ur luvin it mine is running awesome!!
Livernois Motorsports: Maggie 2300 7psi, Livernois 2C cam/L99 to LS3 Conversion, Ported TB, Rotofab w/adm race scoop, adm trans cooler,Kooks headers no cats, Kooks 3" exhaust. METCO breather. Precision 2400 Vigilante TC. Eibach Lowering Springs & Swaybars. BMR Trailing arms, BMR Rear Cradle Bushings, BMR Toe Rods, BMR Differential bushings. Vossen CV3 20's w/ 305 Mickey Thompson @25psi. Zl1 front bumper. OE Zl1 Hood and matte black insert. 556RWHP/500RWTQ L99
jsharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 12:27 PM   #6
zarenski

Drives: 2010 2ss
Marticus your car looks and sounds awsome. I was at Livernois this past friday. I installed a set of Kooks LTs with catted conections. I picked them up thursday and they were cool enough to tune it for me the next day. These guys are awsome. Ive been dealing with Kyle and like you said. They are ALWAYS friendly and profesional and very knowledgable.
The heads and cam package is my next project. I cant wait to get the $ saved up. Its kind of addicting. lol
zarenski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 06:19 PM   #7
marticus24

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy@Livernois View Post
Marty, as always thank you for your kind words. Hopefully we will have some better weather here soon so you can enjoy it more
You're welcome - thanks again for the excellent work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ice View Post
Looks and sounds great
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarenski View Post
Marticus your car looks and sounds awsome. I was at Livernois this past friday. I installed a set of Kooks LTs with catted conections. I picked them up thursday and they were cool enough to tune it for me the next day. These guys are awsome. Ive been dealing with Kyle and like you said. They are ALWAYS friendly and profesional and very knowledgable.
The heads and cam package is my next project. I cant wait to get the $ saved up. Its kind of addicting. lol
Yes - it is VERY addicting, and congrats on your headers... it's amazing how well these cars respond to just headers. I know that after this, it's going to be difficult to stop myself. Next logical step for me will be a blower... just may take a while to save up for it, as I'm not sure what else I'll need to beef up along with it.
marticus24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:00 AM   #8
Chris@Livernois

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Marty,

Thank you for your great review and kind words!

Hopefully we get some nice weather soon so you can get out and enjoy it.

Regards,

Rick LeBlanc
Livernois Motorsports
Chris@Livernois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:52 AM   #9
Tshepp
Show & Go

Drives: '10 Camaro 1SS LS3
This was recommended by my local tuner as well...I was hoping for something with a little more power like the 229/236 but the drivability comparison might be the biggest difference.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:10 PM   #10
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Wow....I really like that one. Nice lope but not radical. I've been putting off adding a cam because I'm worried about street manners for a daily driver. With a 117 LSA it seems like this would be a real good street cam. Even though it may not make as much HP/TQ as others that's still a nice number. I would like to see more than just an 18 rwtq increase though.

This just might have to go on my list of cams when the time comes.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 01:24 PM   #11
Dave Coyle

Drives: 2010 SS , 1970 Z-28, 2002 Avalanche
Caverman, I also had Livernois do the 2C cam upgrade on my car and I went from 374 RWHP to 434 RWHP, as you can see, I picked up 60 RWHP and RWTQ went from 382 to 403 with this cam. Sounds GREAT at idle and the power is GREAT!!!!
Kooks 1 7/8 LT Headers/Hi-Flo Cats/Corsa Exhaust
Roto-Fab CAI / Port Intake
Precission 2400/2800 Converter/3.73 AAM gears
Livernois Motorsports Tune

Best time: 11.97 @ 117 MPH
Dave Coyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 02:23 PM   #12
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
How is the street manners though? I'm willing to give up a little power in order to have no surging or bucking down low and I don't want to be sitting at the light and having it really swaying back an forth. I do want to kind of know it's there if I listen for it as opposed to it being really obvious. This is a daily driver for both the wife and I......street manners will be really important.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 02:29 PM   #13
bmbbl be

Drives: 2010 CAMARO SS
I have the 2c from livernois with there tune. i have a L99 street manners are fantastic...it rocks alot when first starting for about 2 minutes warming up. after that hardly at all....as far as surging almost none going forward ,,,some in reverse
bmbbl be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 03:02 PM   #14
Dave Coyle

Drives: 2010 SS , 1970 Z-28, 2002 Avalanche
It has great street manners but does have "slight" surge when you first take off. When you are coming to a stop and the car is "down shifting", when you get almost stopped, it will down shift into 1st gear and slightly jumps forward but other than that, just like it was before the cam only with more power now. It does "shake" a little when you are stopped and idleing but nothing radical, just lets you know you are packing some power!!
Kooks 1 7/8 LT Headers/Hi-Flo Cats/Corsa Exhaust
Roto-Fab CAI / Port Intake
Precission 2400/2800 Converter/3.73 AAM gears
Livernois Motorsports Tune

Best time: 11.97 @ 117 MPH
Dave Coyle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cam, dyno, livernois, ls3, review