Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Members Classifieds - Parts for sale or wanted > Autos For Sale / Wanted

Old 12-08-2010, 12:12 AM   #15
98_Camaro

Drives: 2016 2SS Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by talwell View Post
Any more details on this car? What makes it rare? Why is it worth the asking price? I love 1969 Camaros and would love to hear more about this car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS-CGM View Post

Beautiful car but I'm with this guy... There are 2 numbers matching Camaro's on Ebay one a 396 SS, and the other a Roger Peck 1 of 3 Pace Cars for 40k and 55k respectively. I'd also like to know why 80k rarity is on the plate?
I think the rarity comes from the staggering number of options it has. Of the 243,085 1969 Camaro's produced:
-1,410 had the tachometer
-2,359 had the AM/FM stereo with 4 speakers
-3,058 had power windows
-4,397 had the fold-down back seat
-7,912 had the rear-window defroster
-20,330 had the electric clock
-44,737 has A/C (wasn't compatible with the h/o 396)
-141,607 had power steering
-34,392 were Super Sports
-37,773 were Rally Sports
~144,000 had power breaks (I'd break it down into drum and disc, but I'm unsure of what it came with)
I'm missing a few things here and there, but I think you guys get the point.

Other than the options and the quality of the restoration- a very large majority of the parts are original GM parts that were gathered over the years and the paint job alone took six months to complete- the only thing I can personally say about the car is that it has an 8-liter engine and an A/C compressor under the hood.
Now- I'm not going to lie- the Roger Peck Camaro is a beautiful car, but the only thing that really seems to set it apart is the VIN ending in 500 (what I managed to pull together after a quick Google search). If I found the same one you're talking about, it has the added value of being a 396 pace car, but it doesn't mention the power windows, fold-down backseat, or stereo.
What we're comparing here is really apples and oranges. A pace car is a pace car, and while there are some distinguishing features between them, they're all very similar at the end of the day. What we have for sale here is a rarity in that the collection of options were not normally packaged together. Does that make the car worth $80,000? Not necessarily, but we have had offers at that price, so it's safe to assume that someone somewhere is willing to pay that. Is this going to be a quick sell? No, but it's never too early to start trying.
2016 Summit White 2SS Coupe M6, NPP, & MRC
Now Driving:
2016 Torch Red Corvette 2LT, NPP, MRC
98_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:06 AM   #16
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98_Camaro View Post
I think the rarity comes from the staggering number of options it has. Of the 243,085 1969 Camaro's produced:
-1,410 had the tachometer
-2,359 had the AM/FM stereo with 4 speakers
-3,058 had power windows
-4,397 had the fold-down back seat
-7,912 had the rear-window defroster
-20,330 had the electric clock
-44,737 has A/C (wasn't compatible with the h/o 396)
-141,607 had power steering
-34,392 were Super Sports
-37,773 were Rally Sports
~144,000 had power breaks (I'd break it down into drum and disc, but I'm unsure of what it came with)
I'm missing a few things here and there, but I think you guys get the point.

Other than the options and the quality of the restoration- a very large majority of the parts are original GM parts that were gathered over the years and the paint job alone took six months to complete- the only thing I can personally say about the car is that it has an 8-liter engine and an A/C compressor under the hood.
Now- I'm not going to lie- the Roger Peck Camaro is a beautiful car, but the only thing that really seems to set it apart is the VIN ending in 500 (what I managed to pull together after a quick Google search). If I found the same one you're talking about, it has the added value of being a 396 pace car, but it doesn't mention the power windows, fold-down backseat, or stereo.
What we're comparing here is really apples and oranges. A pace car is a pace car, and while there are some distinguishing features between them, they're all very similar at the end of the day. What we have for sale here is a rarity in that the collection of options were not normally packaged together. Does that make the car worth $80,000? Not necessarily, but we have had offers at that price, so it's safe to assume that someone somewhere is willing to pay that. Is this going to be a quick sell? No, but it's never too early to start trying.
The fact that the car has not been restored to original condition, is not numbers matching and has no docs over-rides the amount of options the car has/had. Such a vehicle has diminished value in the eyes of collectors. I inspect many 1st gens for myself (and others) and I have never seen a correctly restored, numbers matching, documented SS/RS L78 car sell for 100K.

In my humble opinion, this is a 40K car in today's market (being very generous). If you have an offer at 80K, don't be stupid - jump on it!
Old 12-08-2010, 08:32 AM   #17
Fightinfire921

Drives: GMC Acadia, Chevrolet Camaro
Send a message via Yahoo to Fightinfire921
Nice car, just for my information where did you get the number of 37,773 1969 RS's built?
Fightinfire921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:13 AM   #18
HondaPowered

Drives: '09 Honda Civic LX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
The fact that the car has not been restored to original condition, is not numbers matching and has no docs over-rides the amount of options the car has/had. Such a vehicle has diminished value in the eyes of collectors. I inspect many 1st gens for myself (and others) and I have never seen a correctly restored, numbers matching, documented SS/RS L78 car sell for 100K.

In my humble opinion, this is a 40K car in today's market (being very generous). If you have an offer at 80K, don't be stupid - jump on it!
+1

Dream camaro is either a 1/2SS with RS, black with red stripes, or red with white stripes.

No rice with my order.
HondaPowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:54 PM   #19
98_Camaro

Quote:

The guy who offered $80k came in before he was trying to sell, and when my dad went to him, he had already bought a '71 Chevelle.
I respect your input, but I feel confident that we can get relatively close to what we're asking. From a collector's standpoint, it might not be worth that much, but to somebody looking for one HELL of a ride, it can be a dream come true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYKOFF69Z View Post
Nice car, just for my information where did you get the number of 37,773 1969 RS's built?
From "Chevrolet Camaro 1967-1972" by William Burt. It has all of the RPO's, units, and prices for every option on the Camaro from 1967 to 1972.
Now Driving:
Old 12-08-2010, 12:59 PM   #20
Hylton

Just curious, what's with the front of the quarters? Without looking under the hood, at the interior or underneath, I see 20K worth of work to get it to 50K.

Best of luck to you selling it but it's going to be tough bro.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:16 PM   #21
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
$80,000?? I bought the same car last year for only $19.99....

I still gotta put it together
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 06:39 PM   #22
98_Camaro

Quote:
Just curious, what's with the front of the quarters? Without looking under the hood, at the interior or underneath, I see 20K worth of work to get it to 50K.

Best of luck to you selling it but it's going to be tough bro.
Nothing's wrong with the quarter panels. If it isn't the lighting, it's that Image Shack resized the pictures when I uploaded them. These were upwards of 2,000x3,000 and 3MB. I had to resize them once to fit the 1.5MB upload limit, and IS did it again to cram them into 1024x683.
The only thing that is visibly wrong is the headlight covers being crooked, which I guess no one bothered to smooth out that day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnighter View Post
$80,000?? I bought the same car last year for only $19.99....

I still gotta put it together

Good luck on the build.
Now Driving:
Old 12-09-2010, 06:48 AM   #23
Hylton

Quote:
Nothing's wrong with the quarter panels. If it isn't the lighting, it's that Image Shack resized the pictures when I uploaded them. These were upwards of 2,000x3,000 and 3MB. I had to resize them once to fit the 1.5MB upload limit, and IS did it again to cram them into 1024x683.
The only thing that is visibly wrong is the headlight covers being crooked, which I guess no one bothered to smooth out that day.
Your quarter panels are missing the scallops. Compare your car with this one. Someone either used a Firebird quarter to patch your quarters or someone just used standard sheetmetal.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:36 PM   #24
98_Camaro

Quote:
Your quarter panels are missing the scallops. Compare your car with this one. Someone either used a Firebird quarter to patch your quarters or someone just used standard sheetmetal.

Oh, I thought you meant the front quarter panels.
In all honesty, you're the first person to ever notice the gills/scallops were missing. It wasn't done by mistake; the old man didn't like them in '69 when he saw the car, didn't like them in '95 when he bought the car, and didn't like them in 2004 when he repainted the car, so he had them removed.
Now Driving:
Old 12-09-2010, 06:53 PM   #25
Entaille

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS
that is such a defining feature of the 69 camaro - it's the reason the 5th gen has the gills as well.

Entaille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:14 PM   #26
2SSRS-CGM

Drives: '16 Z06 M7
I just thought his 69 was the rarest of all Camaros, because they put the wrong quarters at the factory... 1 of 1! I'm sorry I couldn't resist. In all seriousness, You just have a really nice custom Camaro for sale... Good luck with sale...
Old 12-09-2010, 08:04 PM   #27
98_Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entaille View Post
that is such a defining feature of the 69 camaro - it's the reason the 5th gen has the gills as well.
He doesn't like them on the new ones either.
To each his own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS-CGM View Post
I just thought his 69 was the rarest of all Camaros, because they put the wrong quarters at the factory... 1 of 1! I'm sorry I couldn't resist. In all seriousness, You just have a really nice custom Camaro for sale... Good luck with sale...
Thanks, mate.
Now Driving:
Old 12-10-2010, 09:17 AM   #28
AIminiS10

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1 - #1564
Quote:
Oh, I thought you meant the front quarter panels.
In all honesty, you're the first person to ever notice the gills/scallops were missing. It wasn't done by mistake; the old man didn't like them in '69 when he saw the car, didn't like them in '95 when he bought the car, and didn't like them in 2004 when he repainted the car, so he had them removed.
Now this is my opinion, but removing the gills really removes the value of the car. The gills were the distinguishing marks other than the grill and tail lights compared to the 67-68 camaro's. Granted, the wheel wells were "flattened" at the top also, but you know what I mean.

Don't get me wrong, that is a really nice car, but that price is extremely high for all the "rare" options the car has on it, but not the original style sheet metal. '69 was always my favorite first gen camaro. Good luck with the sale and hope your dad gets what he feels the car is worth!!

2012 Chevy Camaro ZL1 #1564
1969 Chevy Chevelle
2000 Honda CBR 929rr
2013 Focus ST (daily)
AIminiS10 is offline   Reply With Quote