Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-01-2012, 09:56 PM   #29
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Drag strip #1 and then the traffic here in Houston is crazy. Every time I get stuck in it I curse the manual.

Guess I don't buy into all the talk about fun factor and the ZL1 6L90E is pretty kick A$$ too. It was really a toss up for me when I ordered but now I'd go back to Auto in a heartbeat... Especially after driving both.
This is the reason I chose the auto. I would have bought a Challenger if the auto wasn't offered in the ZL1. It may not be quite as much fun in all out driving when there's no traffic.

I havent noticed a difference in take off from a stop in drive vs Sport mode. If Sport mode starts in first, I haven't felt it. It's a comPletely different car when I paddle shift it to first gear.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:58 PM   #30
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerZL1 View Post
This is the reason I chose the auto. I would have bought a Challenger if the auto wasn't offered in the ZL1. It may not be quite as much fun in all out driving when there's no traffic.

I havent noticed a difference in take off from a stop in drive vs Sport mode. If Sport mode starts in first, I haven't felt it. It's a comPletely different car when I paddle shift it to first gear.
The only time it starts in 1st is under quick acceleration. Maybe why you haven't noticed much.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:17 PM   #31
hv92

Drives: .
Soooo... another question for you fellas...

If you could do it over again,

Automatic CTS-V Coupe? or Automatic ZL1 over and over and over everytime?
Old 09-02-2012, 10:33 AM   #32
htron50

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Status "Thank You!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by hv92 View Post

The ZL1 simply said, has the "IT" factor. It conveys the spirit, demeanor, and aggressive looks & attitude that are backed up by it's muscle.

The CTS-V, a great car, conveys luxury. When it comes to instant recognition of muscle, it doesn't do it as effectively as the ZL1. While it may perform just as well, who is to say, it's exterior design is simply not as strong or lasting.

You see a ZL1 coming at you, you "know" what it is. You see a CTS-V coming at you, it could be just another euro design we are all getting too familiar with. The ZL1 has broken out of that box. I hope the new generation Camaro will maintain that "muscle" identity.

I like the CTS-V greatly, don't get me wrong. But, for a daily driver wanting to experience the luxury, I'd get the stock CTS. Just me... but if you want an ICON...... a true ICON .... it's got to be a ZL1.... (and, yes, it would be the AUTO again! -- for same reasons mlee points out).
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:44 AM   #33
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by hv92 View Post

I love the CTS-V sedan but I hate the looks of the coupe. between those to it is a no brainer to me. The ZL1 just looks great to me the car does it right from the factory. So did my C6 Z06. both those cars looks wise the factory nailed it to me. Looks are subjective though. my wife was following me in the ZL1 the other day and it just looks sinsister coming down the road.

every time I put a car seat in my ZL1 I do start to think why did not buy a CTS-V sedan or an M5. Then I remeber it because I am not that smart.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 01:20 PM   #34
rpepka

Drives: 2013 ZL1 # 2195
Quote:
Originally Posted by hognutz View Post
I love the CTS-V sedan but I hate the looks of the coupe. between those to it is a no brainer to me. The ZL1 just looks great to me the car does it right from the factory. So did my C6 Z06. both those cars looks wise the factory nailed it to me. Looks are subjective though. my wife was following me in the ZL1 the other day and it just looks sinsister coming down the road.

every time I put a car seat in my ZL1 I do start to think why did not buy a CTS-V sedan or an M5. Then I remeber it because I am not that smart.
I have the same problem, a CTS-V would be much more suiting for all of my needs except one. I have such a passion for 69 Camaros and this car is just a modern version of it.
rpepka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 01:30 PM   #35
stlrammer

Drives: 2017 1SS Blue
MLEE I'd take your manual ZL1 but I just got rid of payments and my SS only has 18K miles. I like the manual shift. I drive in very little traffic though.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:02 PM   #36
hv92

Drives: .
So the general answer i'm getting is that no, the ZL1 is not as jerky as the automatic SS and it does not have the cylinder deactivation? Sweet.

Also, could any of you guys with the atuo please post a vid of possibly starting up the car and then accelerating up to like 45 mph and then back down to 0? I'm really curious how it sounds. If not, its okay, I'll check youtube but all i could find was manual zl1 drive offs.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:38 PM   #37
MEDISIN

Drives: 2011 CTS-V Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by htron50 View Post
The ZL1 simply said, has the "IT" factor. It conveys the spirit, demeanor, and aggressive looks & attitude that are backed up by it's muscle.

The CTS-V, a great car, conveys luxury. When it comes to instant recognition of muscle, it doesn't do it as effectively as the ZL1. While it may perform just as well, who is to say, it's exterior design is simply not as strong or lasting.

You see a ZL1 coming at you, you "know" what it is. You see a CTS-V coming at you, it could be just another euro design we are all getting too familiar with. The ZL1 has broken out of that box. I hope the new generation Camaro will maintain that "muscle" identity.

I like the CTS-V greatly, don't get me wrong. But, for a daily driver wanting to experience the luxury, I'd get the stock CTS. Just me... but if you want an ICON...... a true ICON .... it's got to be a ZL1.... (and, yes, it would be the AUTO again! -- for same reasons mlee points out).
All true. If you want to be "recognized" then the ZL1 is the way to go. The V is very understated.

"Not giving a f*^k is truly the greatest luxury, and no luxury car gives fewer f*^k's than a CTS-V." - Matt Hardigree
MEDISIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:06 PM   #38
MarylandSpeed
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 ZL1 & 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDISIN View Post
All true. If you want to be "recognized" then the ZL1 is the way to go. The V is very understated.
Buy a CTS-V Coupe...it is not "understated" by any means.
MarylandSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:24 PM   #39
MEDISIN

Drives: 2011 CTS-V Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarylandSpeed View Post
Buy a CTS-V Coupe...it is not "understated" by any means.
Haha yes, the coupe is very eye-catching but people either love it or hate it. There doesn't seem to be an in-between. My dealer says they don't sell many coupes and even fewer vagons. People come in looking at the coupe or vagon and end up driving home in the sedan.

"Not giving a f*^k is truly the greatest luxury, and no luxury car gives fewer f*^k's than a CTS-V." - Matt Hardigree
MEDISIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:30 PM   #40
Drake Heminger

Drives: 2014 Stingray Z51

My ZL1 is an auto and is Crusing