Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-10-2010, 09:19 AM   #1
Redskinfan72

Drives: Victory Red 2LT/RS
Winter Storage

I have a question. I am storing my 2010 Camaro in my attached garage. I plan on starting it every now and again and I was wondering if there is any other tips you folks might have for me? This is the first Automobile I have owned that I will not drive in the winter. Thanks for your Help. Rick
Redskinfan72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:40 AM   #2
KybheSS

Drives: Black '10 2SS/RS
Hey Rick, there are a ton of threads on this. Do a search and I'm
Sure you will find something.
KybheSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:41 AM   #3
FFPM73
Firefighter/Paramedic

Drives: RJT 2SS/RS M6 LS-3
Wash/wax, fill with new gas, add fuel stabilizer to it, connect a battery tender, cover (if available). With the stabilizer in it and a battery tender connected, there is no need to start it. However, if you do want to start it because you just can't stay away, make sure you let it run and get the temperature up.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:23 AM   #4
camaroitalia
Go Harder Than Baltimore!

Drives: 2010 CGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFPM73 View Post
Wash/wax, fill with new gas, add fuel stabilizer to it, connect a battery tender, cover (if available). With the stabilizer in it and a battery tender connected, there is no need to start it. However, if you do want to start it because you just can't stay away, make sure you let it run and get the temperature up.
What is fuel stabilizer? and does the gas tank have to be full?
Old 12-10-2010, 10:28 AM   #5
mulletman

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Sta-bil is available at the auto section in Wal-mart. I add the Sta-bil to the tank at the nearest gas station. fill 'er up, and put 'er in the garage.
mulletman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:31 AM   #6
HDDAN

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS 2007 HD FLSTC
Do not start it "every now and then", it is bad for it because it does not reach operating temperatures and sucks in cold air and moisture. Put in Stabil and hook up a battery tender and wait for spring. I have been successfully storing my motorcycles for decades and now my 1SS which I stored last year. I bought a cheepo cover at Walmart to cover it with. Do not buy the Camaro one, it is too small. Get the one for a Crown Victoria. They are $20.00.
HDDAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:51 AM   #7
kylenewman

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroitalia View Post
What is fuel stabilizer? and does the gas tank have to be full?
Ya the tank should be full when put in storage
kylenewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 01:15 PM   #8
INTIMIDAT3R
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 2SS/RS L99, '12 2LS LFX
Here's a pic of the way I have it hooked up. Dropped the wire down through the engine compartment. Domino is covered with a NOAH car cover except for when I took this pic.

It came with "Quick Connect" wires, but it was too darn cold and it was quick to use the clamps.

Next warm day, I'll put the "Quick Connects" on.

Things to do for storage...
  1. Detail the car.
  2. Sea Foam(fuel stabilizer) in gas tank and then fill up and drive for a few minutes.
  3. Pump the tires up to 50 psi to avoid flatspotting if you don't have "FlatSpotters" to prevent it.
  4. In an unheated garage, cover garage floor with a waterproof tarp as moisture barrier. Heated garage, you're good.
  5. Cardboard or carpeting under tires to add another layer of protection between floor and tires.
  6. Moth balls by the tires to keep critters away
  7. PLAIN/UNTREATED charcoal briquettes in the passenger cabin and trunk to absorb odors.
  8. Steel wool in exhaust pipes to keep critters out(leave note on stearing wheel as a reminder)
  9. Hook up battery tender.
  10. Cover car with a NOAH car cover.
  11. DO NOT start until ready to drive it again in the spring.
  12. Check with your finance company to see if you can drop full coverage and just keep comprehensive since the car will be in storage. Some will allow it, some won't.

Last edited by INTIMIDAT3R; 12-12-2010 at 10:43 AM.
INTIMIDAT3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 02:10 PM   #9
Redskinfan72

Drives: Victory Red 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by INTIMIDAT3R View Post
Here's a pic of the way I have it hooked up. Dropped the wire down through the engine compartment. Domino is covered with a NOAH car cover except for when I took this pic.

It came with "Quick Connect" wires, but it was too darn cold and it was quick to use the clamps.

Next warm day, I'll put the "Quick Connects" on.

Things to do for storage...
  1. Detail the car.
  2. Sea Foam(fuel stabilizer) in gas tank and then fill up and drive for a few minutes.
  3. Pump the tires up to 50 psi to avoid flatspotting if you don't have "FlatSpotters" to prevent it.
  4. In an unheated garage, cover garage floor with a waterproof tarp as moisture barrier. Heated garage, you're good.
  5. Cardboard or carpeting under tires to add another layer of protection between floor and tires.
  6. Moth balls by the tires to keep critters away
  7. PLAIN/UNTREATED charcoal briquettes in the passenger cabin and trunk to absorb odors.
  8. Steel wool in exhaust pipes to keep critters out(leave note on stearing wheel as a reminder)
  9. Hook up battery tender.
  10. Cover car with a NOAH car cover.
  11. DO NOT start until ready to drive it again in the spring.
Very detailed. Thank You
Redskinfan72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 02:29 PM   #10
2002b4c

Drives: 2001 Camaro B4C, 2011 Camaro SS
I always put Lucas Fuel Injector Cleaner in the last tank of gas I use before I put the final tank of gas with Sta-bil in it for winter storage.

I do the same thing in my motor home that is stored for 5 or 6 months and both my Camaro and the motor home start right up and run perfectly.
2002b4c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 03:00 PM   #11
camaroitalia
Go Harder Than Baltimore!

Drives: 2010 CGM
Couple questions.
Ok the Sta-bit fuel stableizer, so i put this in then i fill up my tank? or do i fill up the tank first then add this? Also, can i drive if it is nice out with the Sta-bil freshly in the tank?

I had a battery tender for my corvette, will this work on my camaro?
Old 12-10-2010, 07:05 PM   #12
mulletman

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Put the Sta-bil in and then fill the tank. This mixes it with the gas better. The full tank is to cut down on the chance of condensation. Driving your car is fine. A battery tender works great on your Camaro.
mulletman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 07:18 PM   #13
maxpower5

Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
what if i drive it 1-2 times a month in winter. we usually have a few nice days throughout winter when the salt is washed away and ill cruise. do i need all this? i would prob use a fuel stabilizer just in case it had been 4-5 weeks since a drive.
maxpower5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:51 PM   #14
INTIMIDAT3R
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 2SS/RS L99, '12 2LS LFX
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpower5 View Post
what if i drive it 1-2 times a month in winter. we usually have a few nice days throughout winter when the salt is washed away and ill cruise. do i need all this? i would prob use a fuel stabilizer just in case it had been 4-5 weeks since a drive.
Dude, I know for a fact that just because we have nice days in the winter that salt is not gone. Been to Peoria many times during "nice days" in the winter.

Wait till spring unless you want let that salt sit inside your sheet metal eating it's way out.
INTIMIDAT3R is offline   Reply With Quote