Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-07-2010, 04:36 PM   #1
Tran
Administrator

Drives: 2010 Camaro of course....
Exclamation Camaro Ad Assault Coming! Chevy Returning to Super Bowl.

Reported on CAMARO5 HOMEPAGE.

Camaro enthusiasts' calls for more advertisements for the 2010/2011 Camaro, in order to rebut the prominent television spots for the 2011 Mustang and Challenger, will be answered, and soon!

Beginning next month, GM will be launching a new Camaro ad campaign, which will include Camaro TV advertisements!

Although this is exciting news, the fact is the Camaro hasn't needed much help so far in finding its way into owner's hands. Its sales numbers beat out the Mustang and Challenger sales in 2010, and through July of this year the Camaro leads the Mustang in sales by 6,340 units (or 13 percent). But, increased advertising certainly can't hurt and could help the Camaro beat its rivals' sales figures again for 2011.

In fact, GM's entire marketing budget will be increasing back to pre-bankruptcy levels. As part of this, the Chevrolet brand will be making a return to Super Bowl advertising in 2011. Whether the Camaro will be one of the cars featured in the Super Bowl ad spots remains to be seen, but if we had to place our guess, it would be yes, in addition to the new Volt, two of Chevy's most buzz worthy cars of late.

Also See Autonews:

Quote:
If there's one thing Joel Ewanick has made clear since joining General Motors Co. three months ago, it's that he doesn't let grass grow under his feet.

And the company's vice president of marketing isn't slowing down anytime soon: In a wide-ranging interview with Advertising Age, an affiliate of AutoWeek, Ewanick let drop that the automaker will return to the Super Bowl in 2011; that an ad campaign will break next month for the Chevy Camaro; and that there's a new tagline coming for Cadillac, "The new standard for the world."

"We have so many projects in the works right now," he said. "I can't tell you specifically, but we have projects going with each of the brands."

In a related matter, GM is increasing its advertisement spending to levels seen prior to its bankruptcy filing, Ewanick told the Wall Street Journal in another interview this week.

Ewanick told the Journal that GM would increase its ad spending by 3 percent to 5 percent this year to build the automaker's brands.

Acknowledging that his lightning-fast moves so far haven't always been well-received, Ewanick acknowledged the company "messed up" the transition of its $600 million Chevrolet account to Goodby, Silverstein & Partners without first speaking with Publicis Groupe. He remedied the situation weeks later when he tabbed Publicis unit Fallon to take over the $270 million Cadillac business from Publicis sibling Bartle Bogle Hegarty.

"We messed up the handling of how we were going to release the information to the folks at Publicis. And that was our doing," Ewanick said. "I'm kind of disappointed about this, but it also taught me a lesson about what happens at Chevrolet.

"There's a sequence about how these things should be announced. We were trying to make telephone calls and get to them and talk to [holding company CEO] Maurice [Levy] and talk to [Publicis USA Chairman-CEO] Susan [Gianinno] and let them know what was going on. Someone on our side, internally, leaked it. ... Maurice and I are fine."

Asked why he made the moves to Goodby and Fallon, respectively, Ewanick cited the friendship and knowledge of their work. "Jeff [Goodby] and Rich [Silverstein] are the best agency in America; some would argue the best agency in the world," Ewanick said.

He added: "We picked an agency like Fallon because Fallon has 17 years of luxury-car experience. There's not an agency in America that has 17 years of luxury-car experience in the United States. Look it up. They had 10 years with BMW and six-and-a-half, seven years with Porsche -- some of that with me.

"So I know what they're good at, I know what they're strengths and weaknesses are, and Pat Fallon is a great advertising person."

Super Bowl plans

He also said that GM would be back in the Super Bowl next February for the first time since bowing out after 2008 when it was trimming its advertising and heading toward its 2009 bankruptcy reorganization.

"The interesting thing is, that's the right thing to do for car brands like we have, specifically Chevrolet. So yes, we will be in the Super Bowl," he said. "I won't tell you how much or what we're doing, but I will tell you it will all be about Chevrolet."

Asked if it would include the new Chevy Volt electric vehicle, set to hit the market just eight weeks before the Super Bowl, Ewanick laughed and said, "I can't tell you that either."

No matter which models are featured, the work will come from Goodby. Fallon came up with the new tagline for Cadillac, which will start appearing next month. "We think that's where we're going to take this brand," Ewanick said, noting he was not impressed with the earlier tagline, "The mark of leadership."

"I don't know what that means. 'The new standard of the world,' that was our theme line for a new generation of cars. It's a line that I think makes much more sense to the consumer."

More Chevrolet moves

Ewanick said Chevrolet will also have a new tagline later this year, closer to the holidays, but would not say what it was, only that "Excellence for all" is out.

"'Excellence for all' -- it's a great title for Stephen Covey's next book. It's also something I could find on every one of our competitors and one that I could put on every airline and everything else," he said. "It's not specific to who we are and where we're taking Chevrolet, and I thought that was important. We took a step back and said, 'What do we have? We have a soul.' People have deep feelings and passion about that."

Finally, next month will also bring a new ad campaign for another of Chevy's macho sports cars, the Camaro.

"The Corvette [ads are] a great example of what we're doing on the performance side," Ewanick said. "We're going to make a big push on the Camaro because we think that's another way to elevate the brand and make another statement about what Chevrolet stands for."

Reuters contributed to this report.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:11 PM   #2
96_2010_CAMARO

Drives: 2012 SIM Camaro 2SS/RS , 2010 Tahoe
Send a message via MSN to 96_2010_CAMARO
wow! I cant wait to see the ads
Old 08-08-2010, 07:18 PM   #3
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
"The Corvette [ads are] a great example of what we're doing on the performance side," Ewanick said. "We're going to make a big push on the Camaro because we think that's another way to elevate the brand and make another statement about what Chevrolet stands for."
The clouds have parted....the ads are back....

And if the Corvette spot was a gauge like Ewanick is saying...DAYUM, I can't wait to see the first Camaro commercial!!!
Old 08-08-2010, 07:18 PM   #4
rocketman 12
SOON.........

Drives: 2010 ABM SS/RS Z-281LE
Old 08-08-2010, 07:19 PM   #5
Maa107
Someone give me a Camaro!

Drives: '09HHR

i thought that one was awsome

Last edited by Maa107; 08-08-2010 at 07:49 PM.
Maa107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:28 PM   #6
Ravirn
Account Unaccounted for

Drives: Black SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tran View Post
Reported on CAMARO5 HOMEPAGE.

Camaro enthusiasts' calls for more advertisements for the 2010/2011 Camaro, in order to rebut the prominent television spots for the 2011 Mustang and Challenger, will be answered, and soon!

Beginning next month, GM will be launching a new Camaro ad campaign, which will include Camaro TV advertisements!
Must be an American thing. I pass two Camaro billboards on my way to work, and see the Camaro on TV (commercials) every other day, at least.

Not a new thing, here.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:42 PM   #7
Camaro Bert

Drives: soon
WOW! cant wait to see the commercials, they are gonna be great!
Camaro Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:52 PM   #8
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
..about frick'n time..
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:53 PM   #9
GEEo
OKCamaros

Drives: 4 banger Diesel

Cant wait to see the adds!
GEEo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:53 PM   #10
pincoin
Camaro owner since 1982

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS-RS Conv IBM L99
Cant wait to see them, the factory will need to work more overtime to meet the demand!!
pincoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:01 PM   #11
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravirn View Post
Must be an American thing.
It may be. Though the parent company is in Detroit...GM Canada (I think) takes care of marketing in the great white north. I might be wrong, though...
Old 08-08-2010, 08:06 PM   #12
Ravirn
Account Unaccounted for

Drives: Black SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
It may be. Though the parent company is in Detroit...GM Canada (I think) takes care of marketing in the great white north. I might be wrong, though...
Ya know... I hadn't thought about it before, but I think you're right. Nice call, Dragoneye. I'm going to give my cousin a call (senior engineer for the last 22 years for GM in the USA) and see if he knows.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:08 PM   #13
Mr. Wyndham

Let me know what he says...I'd like to not "think I may be wrong" about this anymore..
Old 08-08-2010, 08:36 PM   #14
cowboy74

Drives: none at this time
lol be lot better then the screwy mexico ad they running right now i thought that was a joke when i read and heck 5-10 a day on tv i see the add with 2ss with automatic .... all i can do is laugh so hope these ads are lot better for the us market then the other ad
cowboy74 is offline   Reply With Quote