Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 08-20-2012, 05:53 PM   #1
Toross

Drives: 2007 Chevy Tahoe
TSW nurburgring vs forgestar f14s?

I've been doing a lot of research on 22" forgestar f14s and TSW nurburgrings. I have found a lot of bad things regarding forgstars and problems such as being out of round and easily cracking. Haven't really found anything too negative about the TSWs. So I'm looking for a little from personal experience with both.

If u could also help me out has anyone had any rubbing or camber issues with either of these wheels combined with lowering springs? 22s

Thanx guys.
Toross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:21 PM   #2
Nine Ball

Drives: 1969 & 2016 Camaro SS
Quality wise, they are identical. Both are rotary forged wheels, produced overseas. Same material, same manufacturing process.

I've not heard of any Forgestar wheels having cracking issues. They are simply cast center wheels, just like the factory wheels are. Any cast center wheel can crack under a hard impact, it is just a material property of cast aluminum. Forged wheels don't crack or shatter, they simply bend.

Zero rubbing issues, if you have the proper offset and tire sizes.

Tony
Old 08-20-2012, 08:27 PM   #3
Toross

How good is the quality on them? I know they aren't anything top of the line but I'm not looking for top quality. Just something that will look good and not fall apart if take care of it.

Thanx for the info.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:37 PM   #4
Speed Depot

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to Speed Depot
Both wheels have the same style of manufacturing and are basically the same quality. Many of my customers actually use the tsw wheels for track only racing putting them under serious stress and I have never had a complaint, on the contrary some customers order a second set so they can quickly rotate them.

Alex
Speed Depot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:22 AM   #5
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Drives: 2013 Camaro
The Forgestars are good wheels for the money, look good and are lighter which was my main concern...I use them on the track/autocross...I like my Forgestars...get them from Nineball if you buy them for the perfect offsets...
Old 08-21-2012, 10:32 AM   #6
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
TSW Nurburgrings are a little lighter (1-2 lbs or so per wheel) than the Forgestar F14s. But both wheels are considerably lighter than the stock wheels (in the same size and width).

The Forgestar F14s offer better offsets. You can run a wider tire without any issues of the tire sticking out past the fender line.
With the TSW Nurburgrings you need to be careful about your tire choices to make sure you tires don't stick out.

TSW Nurburgings - a little less expensive and you can usually get them right away with no wait.

Forgestars - can take many weeks to get (8+ in some cases). My 18" F14s took over 2 months.

Looks - subjective. Both look great in my opinion.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:25 PM   #7
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGOS252382 View Post
TSW Nurburgings - a little less expensive and you can usually get them right away with no wait.
Actually a lot less expensive. I paid $1300 for 4- 20x10" Nurburgrings and got them in a week. The best price I got on this forum was $1850 and over a two month wait for F14s. For my setup a 35 offset (stock TSW offset) worked perfectly. As pointed out, Forgestars offer a custom offset. TSW are very limited in offset offerings.

Also TSW has only 3 color choices, Forgestar offers more. In my case the gunmetal was my color choice.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:44 PM   #8
Toross

I think the difference in time is gonna make me lean toward tsw. Originally the fact that they didn't have matte black swayed me, but the more I c the gunmetal the better it looks. That's a really nice lookin ride bannom.

Thanx a lot for the responses guys.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:17 PM   #9
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Another difference is Forgestars are built specifically for the Camaro (no centering rings and correct offsets). The TSW require centering rings to make them work on the 5th gen Camaros.

But TSW has a very good reputation with their center rings working well. But most tire installers will warn you that you might expect some vibrations when using wheels with centering rings.

My centering rings on my TSW became a little broken up (on edges) over time (2.5 years of use). I just recent took them off to put on my 18" Forgestar F14 (drag setup). That's when I discovered that the centering rings were starting to deteriorate.

I will be calling TSW to get some new centering rings for my Nurburgrings. That is something to consider with the TSWs.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:54 PM   #10
Toross

Did u ever have any issues with vibrations? And do u know how much the centers rings r?
Old 08-23-2012, 12:14 AM   #11
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Quote:
Another difference is Forgestars are built specifically for the Camaro (no centering rings and correct offsets). The TSW require centering rings to make them work on the 5th gen Camaros.

But TSW has a very good reputation with their center rings working well. But most tire installers will warn you that you might expect some vibrations when using wheels with centering rings.

My centering rings on my TSW became a little broken up (on edges) over time (2.5 years of use). I just recent took them off to put on my 18" Forgestar F14 (drag setup). That's when I discovered that the centering rings were starting to deteriorate.

I will be calling TSW to get some new centering rings for my Nurburgrings. That is something to consider with the TSWs.
Is this something new Forgestar is doing, custom center bores? All 10 of my Forgestar wheels used centering rings.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:27 AM   #12
Nessal

Drives: Exige, Miata, Ghia
Quote:

That's not accurate. You still need the hub rings with the forgestar wheels.
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:29 AM   #13
Nessal

Drives: Exige, Miata, Ghia
BTW, one of the cons about Forgestars is the wait. Mine took almost 11 weeks. There were quite a few flaws in the finish of mine. I heard they use different powder coaters so either you get a good one or a crappy one. Luck of the draw I guess. Also the Nurb are much cheaper and looks just as good. I would have went with those if they offered them in bronze.
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:22 AM   #14
LittleMT
user bann'd

Drives: Chevy SS

Chantilly Lace, the 2011 Rockabilly Jukebox..ADM built..617rwhp, geared A6.
LittleMT is offline   Reply With Quote