Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 10-26-2013, 01:00 PM   #1
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
My upgraded brakes may have saved 2 accidents so far

Yesterday the wife came home from work and was pretty shaken , She said she was getting ready to come off the highway at about 70 mph and the guy ahead tapped his brakes let off , then hit them again and locked them up , She then stomped on the Camaros brakes , seen a mini van in the rearview mirror coming full speed and hit the spare emergency lane to go around the car while the minivan just avoid slamming into the stalled car by hitting the left lane , She said she could not believe the car stopped at a reasonable speed (like about 30 mph )while not locking up and still being able to maneuver it to the right lane , in a matter of a couple seconds . Another time she was driving about 60 mph on a country road when a idiot pulled out right in front of her and she again hit the brakes so hard he couldn't believe they stopped her so quick to avoid T Boning said Idiot .

I have upgraded to Baer drilled and slotted rotors with yellow stuff pads , goodridge stainless brake lines with dot 4 fluid . Not sure how much more braking power I have now compared to stock , But I think it might of saved her from 2 bad accidents Does anyone know with these Mods what the additional braking power is ?
MBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 01:25 PM   #2
angryv6
Lake Erie Monster

Drives: 02 Hyundai Santa Fe and 13 300
Glad your wife avoided the drama of not one but two near accidents created by the idiots of the road.
angryv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 01:39 PM   #3
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
that's the ABS that keeps it from locking up and still allowing you control( possibly the stabilitrack too), not your upgraded brakes. the only thing upgrading the pads and rotors will do is prolong the life of them, and prevent warping and stuff. might, and that's a big might, allow you to stop a foot or two shorter.

Last edited by jd10013; 10-26-2013 at 01:55 PM.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 01:40 PM   #4
45thCamaro

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th Anniversary RS
Brakes are always a good mod.
45thCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 02:04 PM   #5
fussboss

Drives: 2014 2LT RS
Your wife driving both times? I know a way you can save many more countless accidents real easy lol..
fussboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 02:47 PM   #6
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
The drilled slotted rotors will only help with keeping them cooler in road course racing applications. The EBC Yellow stuff pads are the real upgrade. On my 98 jeep grand cherokee I put yellow stuff pads on. the oem brakes were garbage. couldnt lock the wheels up and it didnt want to stop. With the yellow stuff it would lock them up so abs could kick in and stopped in half the distance. Ill be putting yellow stuff on my car when I need new pads and rotors.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 03:36 PM   #7
MBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
The drilled slotted rotors will only help with keeping them cooler in road course racing applications. The EBC Yellow stuff pads are the real upgrade. On my 98 jeep grand cherokee I put yellow stuff pads on. the oem brakes were garbage. couldnt lock the wheels up and it didnt want to stop. With the yellow stuff it would lock them up so abs could kick in and stopped in half the distance. Ill be putting yellow stuff on my car when I need new pads and rotors.
Nice to know the yellow stuff pads are a upgrade , I noticed a difference in the stopping power especially after I embeded them , I dont know what the actually stopping distance is , But the guy that pulled out in front of her she said she missed by maybe a inch or 2 . So just that little bit might of made the difference.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:40 PM   #8
MBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fussboss View Post
Your wife driving both times? I know a way you can save many more countless accidents real easy lol..
Ha , She is actually a decent driver , 3 years and not a ding yet . She doesn't drive it fast like I do !
Old 10-27-2013, 11:33 AM   #9
Dfault

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Could always get bigger brakes, or eliminate the factor by not allowing the wife to drive.
Dfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:57 PM   #10
All Star
I'm an Engineer

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Send a message via AIM to All Star
That's two times too many.

All Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 01:00 PM   #11
~Stacy~
Banned

Drives: Car
driving

Is this down Highway 41 people are nuts down that highway
~Stacy~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 01:13 PM   #12
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
I don't know, and I cannot compare to a stock SS, but one time in traffic I had to test my ZL1 brakes. Yeah, having good brakes makes a difference. And to say I tested them isn't accurate, I may have stopped a little quicker than comfortable, but I would say that the car was well within it's capabilities.

My truck would not have just come to a pleasant stop like my car did on that occasion, not sure I would have hit the person, but it would have been uglier in my truck.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:13 PM   #13
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
Actually the v6 stops faster by a couple of feet than the v8 (weight), but where the brembo's shine is fade resistance. So upgraded brakes on any car is a plus.
PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 02:06 PM   #14
45thAnniversary2SS

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderbuddy View Post
Actually the v6 stops faster by a couple of feet than the v8 (weight), but where the brembo's shine is fade resistance. So upgraded brakes on any car is a plus.
This is not true. Chevy's website shows both 60 to 0 as 123 feet. 1LE is 120 ft.

If you don't have an RS in v6 its more like 130 ft. due to different tires.

Source:
http://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam...ure_081612.pdf

Page 24