Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 01-15-2016, 03:28 PM   #1
Gmack

Drives: 2014 Blue Ray Metallic 2LT/RS
Factory V8 hurst shifter to V6

Is the factory Hurst V8 short throw shifter interchangeable to the RS V6? I have seen several differing opinions on Internet searches. To be clear, I'm talkin about the factory Hurst short throw NOT the aftermarket billet model.
Things I have read say offsets are different and the "centering springs" make V6 install very difficult.
I just need a definitive answer if you can use the same short throw from V8 to V6.

Thanks
Old 01-17-2016, 09:12 AM   #2
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
I'm sure you're aware the aftermarket Hurst is interchangeable between the V6 and V8. I really can't imagine how that could differ for the factory piece.

Here is the only factory short throw at GM Parts Direct- http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/chevrol...ission-shifter As you can see it fits either car.

They don't call it "Hurst" but I'll bet that's it. They also offer the suede covered ZL1 short throw- but it's only for a LS3 engine car.

BTW- the centering springs are only needed for the long-long throw of the stock shifter (so the stick can find it's way back to center-LOL). I've got the Hurst aftermarket, which is shorter throw than the one you're looking at, but I left the springs off and have never regretted it.

Last edited by Ventmaster; 01-17-2016 at 09:23 AM.
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 07:38 AM   #3
Stingr69
'69 Owned Since '79

Drives: '69 Z/28 LeMans Blue w/White
It will not work.
Stingr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 07:55 AM   #4
SIM GhostrdrZ

Drives: ‘14 Z/28 ‘14 ZL1 M6 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmack View Post
Is the factory Hurst V8 short throw shifter interchangeable to the RS V6? I have seen several differing opinions on Internet searches. To be clear, I'm talkin about the factory Hurst short throw NOT the aftermarket billet model.
Things I have read say offsets are different and the "centering springs" make V6 install very difficult.
I just need a definitive answer if you can use the same short throw from V8 to V6.

Thanks
The gm one your looking at is not like the hurst. There are a few aftermarket short throws that are out there. I used the hurst on my v6 and in my opinion is much better than the gm. The hurst will come with v8 shift ball(shift pattern) just called hurst and they will ship you the v6 shift pattern ball for free. You can make it look factory as well, all parts are included for either option you desire. Hurst has been around along time for a reason.
SIM GhostrdrZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 07:59 AM   #5
Gmack

Thanks to all for your input. The link to GM direct was very helpful. I went ahead and purchased from forum member and will install soon. I will let you know how it goes.
Old 01-21-2016, 07:42 AM   #6
Ventmaster

Please do let us know- I think she'll fit!
Old 02-24-2016, 12:52 PM   #7
Gmack

Well, I finally install the GM performance Hurst factory shifter and it fits just like the shifter in my RS V6. I did have a difficult time getting the centering springs out so that the V6 shifter would drop down.
The other thing to note is there is a dramatic difference in the shifters from 2010-2012 and the 2014 units. Older ones allow the know to pull off stalk while the 2014 unit has a small set screw on the passenger side once you twist and drop the boot down from bottom of knob. So, the older unita have a vertical a lot cut in stalk to allow slide on knobs, while the newer (2014) have a small flat and then a threaded hole for set screw attachment.
Otherwise the mechanical installation is exactly the same from V8-V6 and from 2010-2014.
Old 02-24-2016, 02:51 PM   #8
Ventmaster

Congratulations Gmack! I should have warned you about those centering springs and the set screw change.

But happy to hear all is well and doesn't it make any modification all the sweeter after a few obstacles are overcome?
Old 02-25-2016, 05:19 PM   #9
Gmack

Thanks Ventmaster for all your input and advice.
It definitely makes the satisfaction that much better when you overcome a small obstacle to get a project finished.
BTW....I love the reduced shifter distance between gears! Really adds to the driving experience.