Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 11-06-2013, 01:44 PM   #1
2011*Camaro*SS

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Vert
New Tires? Help!

Okay so my car is a 2011 2SS/RS convertible, it has just shy of 14,000 miles and its 2.5 years old. I took it to the dealership for its second oil change on Saturday and they told me that my rears only have 2/32" left, and that the wear marks are showing. I can't remember how much tread he said that my fronts have but he said they were fine. I found the Pirelli's for $247 each.

I have been looking all over the forum for the info that i want, but cant seem to find it.

Here's my problem. A lot of you guys don't get the stock pirelli's put back on when yall change. Why? Are they bad tires? Are there better for about the same price?

I am thinking about trading the car in for a truck in May when I graduate. Should I just not change them? I still live with my parents (17 in HS) so the car usually stays parked all winter, and I drive my brothers truck. I do live in West Texas so the weather is crazy, it can be mid December and be 80 degrees so I might drive it a couple times, but it will be parked for the most part.

I haven't been able to find a definite answer on how long they should last (it depends on your driving type) I don't race or drive bad. I have ever only done one burnout and it was not short but I wasn't just spinning them forever either. I drive fast but not stupid fast. No really hard takeoffs or anything either. In my town not all the streets are paved so sometimes you are forced to drive on gravel, but I try to avoid them.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is:
1. Would you change the backs?
2. Would you stick with Pirelli or change all 4 to a different brand?
3. Would you stick with Pirelli and change all 4 anyways?
4. If you would change what are some good looking preforming tires for a reasonable price?

I'm really up in the air about this. I honestly think that changing them would be stupid, but what if I have a blow out and flip? HELP!
Old 11-06-2013, 01:55 PM   #2
Andrew_MSU

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS RS LS3
I did a lot of research on tires when I was looking for new wheels and I decided to go with something different than the P-Zeros. Not that the P-Zeros are bad.

I found a lot of testing showing that the new Michelin Pilot Super Sport are the best performance tires. Most places even saying they blew away the Michelin PS2 which previously blew away the competition.

I actually found the Michelin Pilot Super Sport on tire rack for cheaper than the P-Zeros.

That is what I would recommend. I went with all 4 Michelin Pilot Super Sport 265/35ZR20 front and 305/30ZR20 Rear, but that is with new wider wheels (8.5" front and 10" rear).
Andrew_MSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:32 PM   #3
CamaroJim56
Obsessed

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS RS
Buy some used rears from someone on here, Pirellis, and be done with it since you are getting rid of it in a "few" months.

You probably don't want to mix brands. Or, buy the cheapest full set you can find, won't be yours to worry about.

2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
CamaroJim56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:53 PM   #4
Rudy@Tirerack

Drives: 1-800-428-8355 X4664
The Pirelli's are actually a very good peformer. They have done very well in our testing. Michelin Pilot Super Sport's are the top dog currently in overall performance. Either are good replacement options.
Rudy@Tirerack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:29 PM   #5
mp51998

Drives: Black 2011 2SS/RS
If you're going to trade in don't spend more money than necessary. Also double check your tread. 14000 miles with the driving you describe is short life. My wife and I do AutoX every month and she got 30000 out if her tires. Just go to discount tire and have them check. The dealer may just be trying to make a sale. if needed just get another set of P-Zero's.
mp51998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:47 PM   #6
2011*Camaro*SS

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Vert
Thanks y'all! I will double check the tread, but when you look at them you can tell they are bald. I have been looking on the forum for a used set and haven't been able to get my hands on any. I will try and post a picture of them later
Old 11-11-2013, 02:57 PM   #7
Dexman1349
2010 2SS/RS M6

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
Most of the guys here in the Denver area have gotten rid of their P-Zeros simply because they are garbage once the temps drop below 40 degrees. I think the average treadlife for those in the club was in the 15-20k range.

Since I use my Camaro as a daily driver, I ended up going with the Continental Contact DWS's. I've had them for over 20k miles (a few hundred miles longer than the stock P-Zeros) and the tread is still "Snow" rated.

If you plan on parking the car for the winter and getting rid of it in the spring, I would look into a set of "take-offs" from one of your local tire stores. People are always upgrading their wheels/tires on their respective Camaros and those shops will hang onto any used tires that still have good tread left to sell for someone in your position. No reason why you shouldn't be able to find a pair of rears for more than $500 total.

Also, unless you use your Camaro for any specific racing purpose, there really isn't a problem with "mixing" brands so long as you have the same right-left (ie. fronts match, and rears match, but fronts don't necessarily match rears).
Dexman1349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 06:23 PM   #8
lvrtrnsplnt

Drives: 2012 LT2 Camaro Convertable
i went with the generals.
lvrtrnsplnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 06:32 PM   #9
Aequitas & Veritas

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS, 2009 GTR
Yeah I would replace them with some all seasons (cheaper) since you'll be getting rid of the car soon.

I had 16k on my Pzeros and had a right front blow out at 80mph, that wasn't fun (tore out my suspension) but they were still good tires, just gotta watch the tread.