Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 05-19-2016, 11:31 PM   #1
spadz93
BUMBL Z

Drives: 2015 ZL1
Brake performance seems lacking

A little while ago, I upgraded my brakes to dimpled/slotted rotors, Hawks HPS 5.0 pads, goodridge braided lines, and motul DOT4 fluid. Still have the stock brembo calipers. However, I feel like my brakes just don't have as much bite as I would expect a setup like this to have, especially with the pads and lines. There have been a few times where I had to lock it up and my stopping distance was more than favorable.

Thinking my brake lines may benefit from another flush done by professionals rather than my friend and I, but would like to hear the thoughts of others.
Current: 2015 ZL1 M6, Rotofab Intake, LS3 throttle body, 2.55 Upper/9.17 Lower w/ Idler Relocation, DMS Reinforced Brick, ID1050X, 1 7/8" Headers, ProSpeed HX/Reservoir, DSX Aux Pump/Flex Fuel Sensor, E85, McLeod RXT, BMR 1" Drop, Tuned by Pat G
Past: 2010 2SS, some bolt ons, 415rwhp/400rwtq

spadz93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 02:04 AM   #2
1KillerSS
Too much is never enough!

Drives: AGP TT SS [COTW] 4/20/15
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
Did you burnish your brakes when you installed everything?

The rotors you installed will not do anything to help you stop faster, they will stay cooler, which canhelp you stop faster, if your brakes are getting super hot from Autocross or something like that, where heavy braking is applied.

Those Pads are not the best for initial bite, so you may want to look at some different pads if your still unsatisfied.

The stainless steel lines are more for saftey, some claim they help keep the pedal from a spongy sensation, however I never noticed any difference.

The brake fluid will only perform better under extreme heat, compared to what you had in it.
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...55#post8107855
1KillerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 08:31 AM   #3
spadz93
BUMBL Z

Drives: 2015 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KillerSS View Post
Did you burnish your brakes when you installed everything?

The rotors you installed will not do anything to help you stop faster, they will stay cooler, which canhelp you stop faster, if your brakes are getting super hot from Autocross or something like that, where heavy braking is applied.

Those Pads are not the best for initial bite, so you may want to look at some different pads if your still unsatisfied.

The stainless steel lines are more for saftey, some claim they help keep the pedal from a spongy sensation, however I never noticed any difference.

The brake fluid will only perform better under extreme heat, compared to what you had in it.
Yes I bedded them in as per Hawks instructions. Duly noted on everything else

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Current: 2015 ZL1 M6, Rotofab Intake, LS3 throttle body, 2.55 Upper/9.17 Lower w/ Idler Relocation, DMS Reinforced Brick, ID1050X, 1 7/8" Headers, ProSpeed HX/Reservoir, DSX Aux Pump/Flex Fuel Sensor, E85, McLeod RXT, BMR 1" Drop, Tuned by Pat G
Past: 2010 2SS, some bolt ons, 415rwhp/400rwtq

spadz93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 09:27 AM   #4
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Those pads should still be a big step forward from OE pads, even on initial bite. I would say that the bleed would be my first re-do. If bedded and bled properly, there should be excellent stopping power with your set-up. Let me know if we can help...

All the best,

Jared Royce
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 09:32 AM   #5
1KillerSS

I switched to those exact pads, shortly after I bought my R1 Premium Cross drilled, and slotted rotors. I noticed that they actually did not have the same initial bite that the stock pads had, however they definitely didn't fade as much. Thats just my experience.
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
Old 05-20-2016, 09:36 AM   #6
1KillerSS

Sorry guys, I do not have the same pads, I missed the 5.0 at the end there. I have the regular street pads.

Build thread