Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-21-2008, 01:17 PM   #127
StoutFiles

Drives: Black/Black 2SS/RS
Quote:
IT IS ONLY A WHAT IF THREAD
Actually, it's not.

A) They are currently having problems with the ABL.
B) It's only an "option"
C) Due to financial situations, they may have less people working on it and no time to delay

There's a very good chance the ABL might not make it in to the first run of cars. I ask all of you to not just lay down and hope the ABL is there but to keep pushing this subject until we hear back from GM saying everything is fine because they do need to realize how important this particular option is.
StoutFiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 01:22 PM   #128
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
Has anyone asked Scott yet?
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 01:32 PM   #129
70 COPO
Banned

Drives: Multiple Camaro's
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoutFiles View Post
Actually, it's not.

A) They are currently having problems with the ABL.
B) It's only an "option"
C) Due to financial situations, they may have less people working on it and no time to delay

There's a very good chance the ABL might not make it in to the first run of cars. I ask all of you to not just lay down and hope the ABL is there but to keep pushing this subject until we hear back from GM saying everything is fine because they do need to realize how important this particular option is.

I agree 100%. For you dogged supporters of GM I am here to tell you that allowing/facilitating/enabeling what looks to be a bait and switch at this point in time does a disservice to all here. I am again being told to give it a rest.. WHY?? The stripes were shown at INDY. Scott was standing in front of the display board, the stripes were shown to all of us. Right? Of course. HUD was portrayed as an option until just of late and then the switcharoo. Finally the silence about the fate of ABL. The trickle of non stop bad news continues.

To those who are continuing to carry GM's water - we all collectively risk much here by holding back how we feel on these vital topics. Supression of one's opinion is NOT the way to go as of now.
70 COPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 01:52 PM   #130
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Drives: 2017 ZL1 NGM A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 COPO View Post
I agree 100%. For you dogged supporters of GM I am here to tell you that allowing/facilitating/enabeling what looks to be a bait and switch at this point in time does a disservice to all here...
With comments like this, I now understand why car companies don't normally pre-release information about a new car that is being produced. In this case, they try to do all the die-hard Camaro fans a favor and they end up getting comments like this.
Inspector 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 02:44 PM   #131
70 COPO
Banned

Drives: Multiple Camaro's
Pete,

GM provided the information to facilitate the advance ordering. Changing the terms (visual or written) after the product/specification has been shown and an order is placed is just fine, and companies do this all the time. The outcome is that typically the consumer decides how He/She will spend the money and does so perhaps by not placing an order or by being unhappy. Nether is productive at this point.

I think that is what 80% of the people are discussing here so far. So if you are saying we are being hard on GM I would rather be truthful and communicate with the end goal being the purchase of a car.

The other option is to remain silent and keep the money in the bank. I do not think GM wants a market retraction because people end up waiting to buy some future "improved" product.

GM needs sales NOW.
70 COPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 02:44 PM   #132
StoutFiles

Drives: Black/Black 2SS/RS
Quote:
With comments like this, I now understand why car companies don't normally pre-release information about a new car that is being produced. In this case, they try to do all the die-hard Camaro fans a favor and they end up getting comments like this.
ABL is on the options list...these comments would be coming no matter what car it was. The only favor I expect is that I get what I was promised when I ordered the car. I wouldn't care if ABL was announced and then removed before the order form came out, but once I ordered the car I expect everything to be there.

Quote:
Has anyone asked Scott yet?
Scott supposedly PM'd someone saying ABL was not cancelled. No one is wondering if it'll be cancelled...HUD wasn't even cancelled. It was delayed. We are wondering if ABL will be delayed.
StoutFiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 02:50 PM   #133
Rodrunner

Drives: 2010 SS/RS, '06 350Z
Look, with 600,000 inquiries about the car prior to the pre-order announcement, GM never for one instant thought they had to sucker anyone into buying it with trumped up interim features.
The stripes, I think maybe they held out a little too long for our liking, either because of indecision or the hope of solving the installation delima, before announcing they wouldn't be as previously shown. But according to Copo our complaints are under consideration, and a resolution may still be forthcoming.
Tough call on the ABL problem, especially if it's the same system the CTS has had for two years, unless maybe it's an updated version. Then it could be a real, unexpected engineering or manufacturing problem and we'll all just have to keep our fingers crossed. But get off the deception kick people, that just isn't the truth!
Old 12-21-2008, 03:24 PM   #134
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Everyone, cool off. GM has worked hard to make this car perfect. This car will be one of the highest-rated cars ever produced because no car has been so rigorously tested to our knowledge. The expectations of this car are very high, and the high-profile nature of this project has caused GM to release more information than usual about this car. Despite this, GM has to protect its image. GM isn't going to say that there is a problem when they can solve it. If GM said that the headlights were a problem, everyone on this site would be freaking out about driving with headlights that are velcro-attached.

This is ridiculous. If there is a problem with the ambient lighting, then GM will solve it, just like the countless other bumps in the road that every car faces on path from drawing board car to show car to mass production car.

Keep the faith.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 08:23 PM   #135
Rodrunner

Drives: 2010 SS/RS, '06 350Z
Yes, GM has worked hard to make this car perfect, but of course that's not possible. And I certainly don't expect the impossible, a "perfect" car. Yet, after a two year delay, some elements of the car that appear rather minor are now causing problems for them, and consequently us, an understandably disturbing situation for the buyer.
Obstacles arrising is not the issue, but rather how late in the program they are appearing that's alarming to many. It undermines confidience in management, who is ultimately responsible for seeing that all aspects of the car come together smoothly. They may not have intended to mislead us about NAV, longer rally stripes or ABL, but nonetheless, these late issues have inevitably made many of us skeptical.
For pre-orders, it appears too late for the longer rally stripes or NAV, but I will remain optimistic about an ABL solution.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:42 PM   #136
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
For what it's worth, there's new distribution updates effective tomorrow and there's no mention of ambient lighting, only emissions stuff. But then again, it's not even mentioned in the code book...
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 12:43 AM   #137
Cal Naughton, Jr 523

Drives: Soon to be 2010 Camaro 2LT!
Hey everyone, this is my first post on the site. However, I have been reading for roughly 2-3 weeks now.

I am posting my two cents to give the "common man" perspective on the car. I am not a real big grease monkey like most of you seem to be. I definitely like me an American car just like the rest of you, but I have not been following this car since the concept inception a few years back.

Honestly, I got interested in this car after seeing "Transformers". I remembered it being a great looking car. I'm graduating college in a few months (May) so I have been looking at a car to get after graduation. This will be my second ever car (after an old Explorer Sport). The night I started looking at cars Transformers was playing on TV, musta been a sign. The car is a great price for college grads.

ANYWAY, NOW FOR THE RELEVANT POST INFO. To a regular guy the ABL truly is a selling point. Yes, they are just lights, but without them the interior is just "solid", with them, it is a special interior. The aesthetics of a car interior is definitely important to the casual car driver. Lets face it, the Camaro lovers are going to buy this car regardless of if the lights are in it (with all the other great features already), but GM needs EVERYONE to get this car. The ABL will let the lighting reach a much larger audience than just a normal muscle car. (Ask yourself, would a casual driver rather buy a Challenger or a Camaro with ABL? The mustang isnt even a muscle car to me, there are just so many poor versions of the Mustang on the streets that its lost all its mystique, maybe you disagree.) So I will really want to see the ABL lighting on this car, it looks so sharp. If this feature is still in the car when it rolls out mid March it will keep the good vibes flowing on through the summer.

Maybe some of you disagree, but the casual driver will want this feature in the car.

That being said, this site has changed me from possibly being interested in the car to: I HAVE TO GET THIS CAR REGARDLESS OF LIGHTING AND I WILL TELL EVERYONE ABOUT IT!!! (Even though I live in a mountain filled area and driving this car will not be fun when it snows a lot in Northern NJ). So all of you guys on this site need to be commended for generating interest in this car, the site is definitely doing its job!
Cal Naughton, Jr 523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 01:50 AM   #138
taz
Taz

Drives: 2010 RS/SS Camaro
I called to cancel my order due to no ambient lighting.

Then I was told by the dealership that their will be ambient lighting in the camaro and that they havent heard of any issues, so I told them to hold off on cancelling. I reread the posts here and realized that it was just a rumor. I'm glad I did or I would of had to put in another order after just cancelling it. I hope nobody else jumped the gun early like I did. Whew, i'm still shaken up of possibly losing the allocation to someone else who might be on the waiting list.
taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 09:00 AM   #139
djsnoflake
Faith Keeper

Drives: 2012 Silverado LTZ, 2010 2SS/RS
Just wanted to make a final point on this stupid subject, then I am done with it. They are LIGHTS. You guys think a team of engineers that can make an 8 cylinder engine run on 4, invented an exploding bag of air that saves lives and are making full on electric cars can't figure out how to get some lights to work?
Let's all just sit back and relax about this stupid rumor that got started from God knows where and wait and see what happens. Mmmkay?
djsnoflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 09:06 AM   #140
FirstLSK
Dude, I love my car !!!!

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS white rally
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz View Post
I called to cancel my order due to no ambient lighting.

Then I was told by the dealership that their will be ambient lighting in the camaro and that they havent heard of any issues, so I told them to hold off on cancelling. I reread the posts here and realized that it was just a rumor. I'm glad I did or I would of had to put in another order after just cancelling it. I hope nobody else jumped the gun early like I did. Whew, i'm still shaken up of possibly losing the allocation to someone else who might be on the waiting list.

Taz,

That is what my last post was about. I hate it when threads like this get started and they change from a WHAT WILL YOU DO IF... thread, to some kind of factual thread based on the original "what if".
FirstLSK is offline   Reply With Quote