Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 03-02-2015, 01:00 PM   #1
Orange 2010 Camaro

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Camaro
Ride Tech Coil-Over Level 2 Question?

I have a 2010 SS Camaro & will soon be installing a new coil over suspension to reduce the tire to fender gap by 1 1/2 TO 1 3/4 in. I am now using 19 in. BBS wheels with 35 aspect ratio Michelin pilot super sport tires front & rear.

My question is,for those of you who have purchased & installed the Ride Tech Level 2 Coil-Over system, are you satisfied with the build quality of the system, & does the car handle as good or better than OEM?

Also, did you purchase the Upper Bearing Mount Upgrade for the Front Struts & if so, are you glad you did? Also, how much did you lower your car with this system?

Thank You in advance for ALL your help. I really appreciate it.

All The Best,

Orange 2010 Camaro
Orange 2010 Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 05:15 PM   #2
aFe POWER

Drives: Camaro
Have you also considered the aFe control PFADT coilovers too? We have a great coilover kit coming out very soon!
aFe POWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 06:27 PM   #3
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange 2010 Camaro View Post
I have a 2010 SS Camaro & will soon be installing a new coil over suspension to reduce the tire to fender gap by 1 1/2 TO 1 3/4 in. I am now using 19 in. BBS wheels with 35 aspect ratio Michelin pilot super sport tires front & rear.

My question is,for those of you who have purchased & installed the Ride Tech Level 2 Coil-Over system, are you satisfied with the build quality of the system, & does the car handle as good or better than OEM?

Also, did you purchase the Upper Bearing Mount Upgrade for the Front Struts & if so, are you glad you did? Also, how much did you lower your car with this system?

All The Best,

Orange 2010 Camaro
1.5" would be my bottom line recommendation for how low you should go; any more and you'll run into axle geometry issues.

Also, the upper bearing mounts are now standard, so that makes that decision easy.

Overall, I feel they are a great bang for your buck. Ride quality is very good and handling is definitely improved. The 1,000,001 mile warranty and the fact they include front endlinks is another big plus!

Let me know if I can answer any questions for you!

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 10:35 PM   #4
Rob@WretchedMS

Drives: His Wife Crazy
Lowering the rear of the car more than 1.5" does 2 things, as Tyler mentioned it can cause the axles to have issues. The other thing that happens is upper control arms don't have enough travel and can bottom out.

If you really want to go lower than 1.5 in the rear the best option would be to do a knuckle drop along with the coilovers.

Ride Quality for the Ridetech Coilovers isn't an issue, they ride and handle great!
Rob@WretchedMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 10:33 AM   #5
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
So...can someone give me a quick comparison to how a 1LE rides stock, to how it would ride with the Ridetechs on and dropped 1.25 inches(max)?

I am looking for more comfort while daily driving, and better track performance than I will get now that I have drop springs on my 1LE shocks.

Ride height should not affect the coilovers ride or performance right?

Thanks guys!
Old 03-03-2015, 10:39 AM   #6
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
So...can someone give me a quick comparison to how a 1LE rides stock, to how it would ride with the Ridetechs on and dropped 1.25 inches(max)?

I am looking for more comfort while daily driving, and better track performance than I will get now that I have drop springs on my 1LE shocks.

Ride height should not affect the coilovers ride or performance right?

Thanks guys!
Rarely will you be able to find an increase in handling with a gain in ride quality. The folks at RideTech are very focused on ride quality across their range of products.

Lowering the rear 1.25" will not alter your ride quality except over severe bumps. The upper rear control arm will go into a bind position because there is limited upward travel.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 10:51 AM   #7
ST1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Rarely will you be able to find an increase in handling with a gain in ride quality. The folks at RideTech are very focused on ride quality across their range of products.

Lowering the rear 1.25" will not alter your ride quality except over severe bumps. The upper rear control arm will go into a bind position because there is limited upward travel.
This makes sense, nothing is free. I did not mean ride better and handle better, that would be too good to be true as you stated.

My thought is that I could adjust them for DD duty(damper), improving ride quality and sacrificing a little handling performance. It's not like I can test the limits of my 1LE on my morning commute anyway, so I don't really see it as a sacrifice as I cant use it's max capabilities on DD duty anyway.

Then at the track adjust them again, essentially reversing that, and giving up ride quality for superior handling.

Is that a pipe dream or is that a rational expectation?
Old 03-03-2015, 10:56 AM   #8
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
This makes sense, nothing is free. I did not mean ride better and handle better, that would be too good to be true as you stated.

My thought is that I could adjust them for DD duty(damper), improving ride quality and sacrificing a little handling performance. It's not like I can test the limits of my 1LE on my morning commute anyway, so I don't really see it as a sacrifice as I cant use it's max capabilities on DD duty anyway.

Then at the track adjust them again, essentially reversing that, and giving up ride quality for superior handling.

Is that a pipe dream or is that a rational expectation?
At best you'll have a similar ride with the damping adjusted down, softened. You'll see significant gains at the track.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 01:37 PM   #9
ST1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
At best you'll have a similar ride with the damping adjusted down, softened. You'll see significant gains at the track.
Thanks a lot Pete!

That clears up what has been a long time misconception of mine that 'coilovers ride better than factory shocks'.

I now know they perform better, but at the cost of ride quality, even when compared to the 1LE set up.

I will wait in buying coilovers until my driving skills catch up a bit to what my 1LE can do stock. At this point I wont be able to take advantage of the improved handling(maybe never), and since there is no improvement in ride quality, I just don't have the need right now.

Thanks again!
Old 03-03-2015, 04:46 PM   #10
Orange 2010 Camaro

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Camaro
[QUOTE=JDP Tyler;8268563]1.5" would be my bottom line recommendation for how low you should go; any more and you'll run into axle geometry issues.

Also, the upper bearing mounts are now standard, so that makes that decision easy.

Overall, I feel they are a great bang for your buck. Ride quality is very good and handling is definitely improved. The 1,000,001 mile warranty and the fact they include front end links is another big plus!

Let me know if I can answer any questions for you!

Best regards,

Tyler

Tyler,

Would you please add a photo of the FRONT end links that now come standard with the Ride Tech Level 2 system.

All The Best,

Orange 2010 Camaro
Attached Images

Orange 2010 Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 08:37 AM   #11
kyle@ridetech.com

Drives: 1969 SS/RS Camaro
Here you go bud. If you need anymore detailed photos of our product let me know. The bearing upper also comes standard now, so no need to add it.
Attached Images

kyle@ridetech.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 01:01 PM   #12
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:
Tyler,

Would you please add a photo of the FRONT end links that now come standard with the Ride Tech Level 2 system.

All The Best,

Orange 2010 Camaro
Looks like Kyle beat me to it! The Endlinks have always been included, but now the upper bearing mounts are now standard which I feel is a great move by RideTech.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 01:21 PM   #13
Rob@WretchedMS

Drives: His Wife Crazy
Kyle, hope this helps.

Name:  RT-Camaro-Front-Links.png
Views: 1070
Size:  169.8 KB
Rob@WretchedMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 02:21 PM   #14
Aero_Sport_Concepts
aerosportconcepts@gmail

Drives: '15 1SS-RS/1LE (RRM)
Quote:

All The Best,

Orange 2010 Camaro
IMO 1 1/2" is pushing it. Think you'll run into issues with the Rear Axle. I have approx 3/4" and it sits great. Built Quality is top notch. I believe ride quality is better too. On the Track they are awesome. Kyle and Tyler are stand up guys on Customer Service too. You'll be happy going with RideTech