Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 04-25-2011, 06:06 PM   #1
SIN R G

Drives: 2008 VW R32, 2011 Synergy Green 2SS
Gilmour Foamaster Won't Foam

I purchased a Gilmour 75QFMR Foamaster and I can' get it to foam. I am using Meguiars Gold Class Car Wash, but right now it is just a fancy water spray gun. I put a small amount of car wash soap in the tank and filled the rest with water. No matter what I do I can't seem to get it to draw anything from the tank. What am I doing wrong?
SIN R G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:33 PM   #2
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Gold class is a fairly low concentrate. How many oz are you using per canister?

With ours if you run 4oz of soap in the can you get thick lather, but our soap is also much more highly concentrated and foams extremely well.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:40 PM   #3
lets_go_bills

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS CGM M6
Sounds like you're not using enough soap. How many ounces are you using?

lets_go_bills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:53 PM   #4
gofast908z

Drives: Camaro
The gun has an adjuster on it to control how much foam you get, try adjusting it.
gofast908z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:26 PM   #5
SIN R G

I used about 4 or 5 oz of soap in the cannister, then filled the rest with water. I sprayed water from the gun for well over 5 minutes and the level in the cannister never went down a bit. Even if I don't have enough soap in it, the level should still o down. There are 4 different settings and I tried them all and nothing.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:06 PM   #6
lets_go_bills

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS CGM M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIN R G View Post
I used about 4 or 5 oz of soap in the cannister, then filled the rest with water. I sprayed water from the gun for well over 5 minutes and the level in the cannister never went down a bit. Even if I don't have enough soap in it, the level should still o down. There are 4 different settings and I tried them all and nothing.

That's odd. Must be broken. Do you have all the pieces? Is it connected right? Do you have the straw connected? The straw should draw the mixture from the canister.

lets_go_bills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:10 PM   #7
Adam's Polishes

Quote:
Ok... somethings wrong then.

Do you have the meter adjusted to allow flow from the canister? The range of settings is anywhere from 0 - full blast. The higher the ratio the more mixture is introduced.

If you've tried adjusting the flow and still aren't getting anything then remove the head, and check the inlet hose for clogs.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:27 PM   #8
Capthowdy

Drives: 2010 2SS RS IOM
Send a message via Yahoo to Capthowdy
I just got mine and used adams wash on G and it covered my car in shaving cream ;>
Old 04-25-2011, 11:47 PM   #9
Modern07
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Drives: 2019 ZL1 on Order
Where did you buy it from?

I got mine off Amazon but the first one they sent me had the same problem as yours.

I Sent it back and the new one I got works perfectly (using Adams Car Shampoo).

Sounds like you got a dodgy one same as the first one I got
Modern07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:27 AM   #10
SIN R G

Yup, the straw is connected and it is not plugged. I have tried all settings and nothing. I did get it from Amazon about 8 weeks ago, but this is the first time I have been able to try it. Tonight I am going to try 2 things. I am going to try adding more soap to the cannister. If that does not work, I am going to try a different hose. I have a hose in my garage that is connected to use my soft water. I planned that when I built the house for washing my cars. I will try the hose from the back of my house. Just maybe the hose in the garage does not have the water pressure it needs. If none of those work I will contact Amazon and tell them I have a bad one. Thanks for the replies.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:53 AM   #11
Adam's Polishes

Quote:
Yup, the straw is connected and it is not plugged. I have tried all settings and nothing. I did get it from Amazon about 8 weeks ago, but this is the first time I have been able to try it. Tonight I am going to try 2 things. I am going to try adding more soap to the cannister. If that does not work, I am going to try a different hose. I have a hose in my garage that is connected to use my soft water. I planned that when I built the house for washing my cars. I will try the hose from the back of my house. Just maybe the hose in the garage does not have the water pressure it needs. If none of those work I will contact Amazon and tell them I have a bad one. Thanks for the replies.
AH! That might be it. Remember theres no pump or forced mechanical action that pulls the soap up the the straw and into the mixture. Its the vacuum created by the water passing thru the system at high speed... if the water pressure is low there isn't enough pull there to get the soap up the straw and then you'd have the exact problem you're describing.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:57 PM   #12
SIN R G

Well that didn't work so I checked with Amazon.com. I purchased it over a month ago and they only take returns within 30 days. But good news, I called them and since I have not used it till this weekend they will give me a full refund. I was sent an e-mail to print a return label and they are even sending me a replacement. I sure hope the next one works. Hopefully the weather in Wisconsin will finally be nice when I get it.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:17 AM   #13
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
I bet that there is nothing wrong with your foam gun.

Check out this picture. Do you see the horizontal slide control with the holes in it? That is the metering system. In this picture, the holes are facing up. If you rotate them so that they are facing either to the front or back of the foam gun, that will stop the mixture inside the canister from flowing and the only thing that you will end up with is flowing water. That is by design.

Those metering holes should "catch" as you move that slide back and forth. If they don't, then you have them orientated incorrectly. I bet that is the problem that you are having.

Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:32 PM   #14
SIN R G

Yeee Haaaaa, I got the foamgun replaced from Amazon.com and I took it right outside. I hooked it up to the same hose I had the other one on, used the same canister that already had soap in it. And it works. I double checked the other one and they are both set the same way. The first one will be boxed tonight and on its way back. Now all we need in Wisconsin is a decent day to wash a Camaro. Thanks Everyone....