Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 01-18-2012, 04:53 PM   #141
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Quote:
Originally Posted by htron50 View Post
...now would you be comfortable with running BOTH exhausts into a single pipe all the way back to ONE muffler with two outlets
Depends if you're using CONDUIT...or CULVERT...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 05:21 PM   #142
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
If you've got the money to blow, you can reduce weight and not lose much if any comforts.

If you don't have much money, (as in even buying lighter/smaller wheels and tires puts a hurt on your budget) then you can probably get away with 100 - 150 lbs comfortable by doing exhaust, light weight battery, and the like. Beyond that, things start getting expensive, or you start losing things like your seats.
Thanks.

I know Number 3 came up with some ideas, however no number. Plus the key word is "reasonably" done. He mentioned light weight glass...
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 05:50 PM   #143
htron50

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Status "Thank You!"
I don't know if this is the appropriate thread... but the following seems it could have an impact on future engine design.... *(hell, for all I know one of you guys IS Tom Stephens)
Sounds like he may be leaving due to split ideology in V8's future!

GM Losing One of Its Last Old-School Engine Guys
By Bill Visnic, Senior Editor | Published Jan 18, 2012
Just the Facts:
Vice Chairman and Chief Technology Officer Tom Stephens, a 43-year GM veteran with perhaps the company's deepest engine-development chops, is retiring in April.
Stephens' departure comes as rumors persist that GM management decided to cut back on upgrades for its next-gen V8.
Stephens is one of the last top-tier GM executives who was with the company prior to its 2009 bankruptcy and restructuring.

DETROIT — General Motors announced over the weekend that Vice Chairman and Chief Technology Officer Tom Stephens will retire in April. But don't let his current banal title fool you: Stephens spent most of his time at GM engineering and hot-rodding engines and is one of the last of the remaining old-guard GM upper management qualified to lend "car-guy" support to Vice President and President of GM North America Mark Reuss.

Stephens is most closely associated with GM's powertrain operations, where he served as a vice president and later, group vice president for global powertrain from 2001-'08. Stephens' gradual move away from powertrain development came as GM itself systematically incorporated powertrain engineering into its larger global product-development practices.

In 1990, when GM Powertrain was formed by merging the Hydra-matic and Engine divisions, the unit was nearly as powerful as any of GM's carmaking divisions. But Powertrain's eventual absorption into the company's broad product-development processes, finalized with its joining of Global Product Operations in 2010, greatly reduced the influence of GM's engine-and transmission-engineering division and the individuals who shaped it.

Stephens probably is best known as one of the primary engineers for GM's Northstar V8, the company's first contemporary overhead-cam V8 when it was launched in 1992, but he also held high-level engineering positions with GM's truck group and, more recently, as a vice president for global quality.

The announcement of Stephens' retirement comes as talk in Detroit said GM upper management scuttled an investment in the company's next-generation small-block V8 and a fully developed "premium" V8 dubbed the UV8 remains on the shelf, perhaps never to be salvaged. The fifth-generation small-block will be upgraded with direct fuel injection, as GM confirmed late in 2010, but a high-tech valvetrain innovation long believed to be penned into the Gen V program reputedly was rejected as a bad investment as rigorous new Corporate Average Fuel Economy standards take hold beginning in 2016 and engine downsizing is rampant in the industry.

If true, the move could signal GM plans for a future in which V8s will be offered only for pickup trucks and the Chevrolet Corvette, both of which have seen relatively drastic declines in demand in recent years. The company sold just 13,164 Corvettes in 2011. Although 2011 Corvette sales were up 4.3 percent compared with 2010, since the recession, the sports car has been enduring some of its worst sales years since the early 1960s.

Sales of full-size pickups such as the Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra respectively were up 12.2 percent and 14.9 percent in 2011, but sales volumes in the pickup segment remain far off their historic highs and many analysts believe increasing CAFE and fuel-price pressures may mean full-size pickups never again reach their former sales glories, a possibility that may be shaping how GM is approaching its investment in the small-block V8.

Inside Line says: Right or wrong, another of those who for decades helped shape GM is moving on.

http://www.insideline.com/chevrolet/...gine-guys.html

edit: GAWD the ERA of Super Camaro might be short..... counting my blessings on getting in with ZL1. V8 only in Trucks and Vette???
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 05:56 PM   #144
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:

GAWD the ERA of Super Camaro might be short..... counting my blessings on getting in with ZL1. V8 only in Trucks and Vette???
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:32 PM   #145
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

It will be a sad day.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:07 AM   #146
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
If I had the spendable capital right now I'd buy a crate LS7 and stick it in the corner of the shop.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:19 AM   #147
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
If I had the spendable capital right now I'd buy a crate LS7 and stick it in the corner of the shop.

I would really love to have a Z/28 but I am getting tired of waiting. I am seriously toying with the idea of creating my own track star.
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:36 AM   #148
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:

edit: GAWD the ERA of Super Camaro might be short..... counting my blessings on getting in with ZL1. V8 only in Trucks and Vette???
I wouldn't put too much stock in those rumours. In fact, I'm pretty sure every 'rumour' that we see involving the Corvette is just a joke being played on us by the Corvette team.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:45 AM   #149
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

the germans and italians are not going to decrease HP.

Last edited by 2cnd chance; 01-19-2012 at 08:44 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:39 PM   #150
OldScoolCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShnOmac View Post

I would really love to have a Z/28 but I am getting tired of waiting. I am seriously toying with the idea of creating my own track star.
I know what you mean.....and being cautiously optomistic about it's return in a Gen 5 form, I am coming to the conclusion it won't happen until '16. And, maybe it'll be the 5.5L 500ish HP DI like Corvette will have soon...and come in at 3,600 lbs...that's a nice power to weight ratio...
Old 01-19-2012, 08:47 PM   #151
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShnOmac View Post

You have me thinking...maybe a slighty used SS to start with...oh yeah make a phone call to Pete.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:55 AM   #152
htron50

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Status "Thank You!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
You have me thinking...maybe a slighty used SS to start with...oh yeah make a phone call to Pete.
NOt a bad idea to be honest. You could get a killer deal on the car and make a truly nice car you'd be wildly happy with!!
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:56 AM   #153
OldScoolCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
I feel for you bro, have contemplated that as well. However, my case in point is Gen 5 used SS's are not that old or used enough IMHO to actually get something affordble enough to tear apart and tinker with yet. 4-5 years down the road they will be at the point where they have plenty of life left in them, and will be cost effective enough to modify where it will be more cost effective. However, by that point a 1LE/Z28 may be introduced, or a suitable Camaro product model may be factory available that will meet the criteria without having to wrench it oneself. It's a tough decision no doubt. Also take into consideration CAFE regs and the impending cost increases surrounding factory hotrods in 2015. Based on those factors I won't opt for the used SS until I wait it out a few more years to see how the tea leaves pan out.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:58 AM   #154
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
I feel for you bro, have contemplated that as well. However, my case in point is Gen 5 used SS's are not that old or used enough IMHO to actually get something affordble enough to tear apart and tinker with yet. 4-5 years down the road they will be at the point where they have plenty of life left in them, and will be cost effective enough to modify where it will be more cost effective. However, by that point a 1LE/Z28 may be introduced, or a suitable Camaro product model may be factory available that will meet the criteria without having to wrench it oneself. It's a tough decision no doubt. Also take into consideration CAFE regs and the impending cost increases surrounding factory hotrods in 2015. Based on those factors I won't opt for the used SS until I wait it out a few more years to see how the tea leaves pan out.
A used 1SS for $25-$27K?
Pedders $3K
LS7 crate $ouch
Bigger/lighter wheels/tires $3.5K
6 Piston front brakes $2.5K
Racing front buckets $1K+

What am I missing?

Last edited by 2cnd chance; 01-21-2012 at 09:55 PM.