Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-28-2012, 09:38 PM   #1
HopeRidesAlone

Drives: 2010 Camaro Black 2SS/RS
black iceolater

Just a quick question would it matter which side i put the stock gasket on?

2010 Black 2SS/RS - Stainless powers 1 7/8 LT headers, cold air inductions cai, Tuned by dynosteve, Feesler side skirt, Feesler Spoiler, Feesler carbon fiber bowties, H&R Lowering Springs.
HopeRidesAlone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:43 PM   #2
kjkjr27
COTW 9/16/13

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Camaro IOM
Yes, because on the other side you have to put the RTV or another gasket. Also depending on what side you put the gasket on depends on what you have to cut off the original gasket to make it fit properly.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:55 PM   #3
HopeRidesAlone

That's why I'm askingi know the instructions say to use out on top of the iceolator. Would there be any downfall of using it on the bottom instead?

2010 Black 2SS/RS - Stainless powers 1 7/8 LT headers, cold air inductions cai, Tuned by dynosteve, Feesler side skirt, Feesler Spoiler, Feesler carbon fiber bowties, H&R Lowering Springs.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:04 PM   #4
kjkjr27
COTW 9/16/13

I left my gasket on the bottom of mine and it seems to work just fine.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:39 PM   #5
pgustavson
Stop writing "vert", ffs!

Drives: 2011 2LT Convertible
My instructions show the gasket on the bottom - between the heads and insulator. RTV silicone is shown to go between the insulator and IM. I doubt they've changed anything. Personally, I'm opting for two OEM gaskets.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:32 AM   #6
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Gasket on the bottom, sealer lightly around each port on the top. I prefer Permatex "Right Stuff"
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:29 PM   #7
HopeRidesAlone

Alright thanks I was just curious why I asked I was thinking about putting the rtv on the bottom so I could see and.make it doesn't over flow

Old 09-29-2012, 10:37 PM   #8
LVDran

Drives: 2010 V6
Question... My installer put the RTV on both sides instead of using the stock gasket saying that was better than the stock gasket. Anyone else heard of it being done this way?
Vararam | Ceramic BBK LT Headers w/ HFC | Custom MagnaFlow Exhaust | RX Catchcan | Vmax 3/8" Black Ice-O-lator | MagnaFlow Resonated X-Pipe | Trifecta Tuned | Stop Tech Slotted Rotors | White out Bowties | Black out side grills | Custom Badges | 22" American Racing Daytona | Polk Audio 6" & 6x9" | Kicker 10" with custom box | Alpline 400w 4 Channel | Alpine 500w Mono Channel
LVDran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:23 AM   #9
pgustavson
Stop writing "vert", ffs!

Drives: 2011 2LT Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVDran View Post
Question... My installer put the RTV on both sides instead of using the stock gasket saying that was better than the stock gasket. Anyone else heard of it being done this way?
I believe that in some new GM cars, RTV silicone is being used in lieu of gaskets in IM installs, so it's certainly an option, but:

1. I've read about more vacuum leaks related to use of gasket maker than use of a gasket.
2. The OEM gasket is a nice piece
3. If too much gasket-maker is used it can extrude into the port, adding a flow obstruction
4. If you do need to disassemble, then it can be a royal PITA.

I just intalled a ported-IM/Black ICEolater combo this yesterday using two modified OEM intake gaskets. Absolutely no problems with leaks and likely very easily reversible. But there's always more than one way to do anything, I suppose...
Old 09-30-2012, 10:52 AM   #10
kjkjr27
COTW 9/16/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgustavson View Post
I believe that in some new GM cars, RTV silicone is being used in lieu of gaskets in IM installs, so it's certainly an option, but:

1. I've read about more vacuum leaks related to use of gasket maker than use of a gasket.
2. The OEM gasket is a nice piece
3. If too much gasket-maker is used it can extrude into the port, adding a flow obstruction
4. If you do need to disassemble, then it can be a royal PITA.

I just intalled a ported-IM/Black ICEolater combo this yesterday using two modified OEM intake gaskets. Absolutely no problems with leaks and likely very easily reversible. But there's always more than one way to do anything, I suppose...
What's that saying. There is more than 1 way to skin a cat.

Now idk why anyone would want to skin a cat, that is just down right wrong.