Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-17-2013, 10:35 PM   #15
AmericanMuscleCars
Teenage Dream Camaro

Drives: A Visually Stunning Camaro
Plus you won't get bit by the mod bug
Old 04-17-2013, 11:11 PM   #16
Sevn86

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS ABM
When I got my camaro my freshman year in college I was working full time and a student full time. I had no expenses so I was comfortable paying my $575 or so payment and insurance and gas was separate. Personally I wouldn't do that again. Caused way too much unwanted attention from others at school. I sold my camaro a year later but not for any financial reason, it was just because I couldn't drive it as much due to my grandma moving in and it wasn't worth the added cost to just have it sit in the garage. I'm back in the market for one but this time it will be used and not a custom ordered one like last time.
Dude, you go through cars faster than I go through underware!!
1000 Initial Order 9/14/2009 - Classic Chevy Sugar Land
1100 Order accepted at dealer: 9/15/2009 - NPGV41.
2000 Order accepted by GM: 9/29/2009
3000 Accepted By Production Control: 9/30/2009 - TPW 10/26/09
3100 Sequenced:10/12/09
3300 Scheduled For Production:10/13/09
3400 Broadcast:10/22/09
3800 Produced:10/27/09
4000 Available To Ship:10/28/09
4200 Shipped:10/29/09
5000 Delivered To The Dealer:11/09/09
6000 Delivered To Customer:11/12/09
Sevn86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:59 PM   #17
Austin45
The Logistician

Drives: 2012 LFX 45th Anniversary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortbus View Post
A. Don't lease
B. Don't buy a 40,000 dollar car when in college, or right out of college. Get something cheap for a year or two and pick up a used Camaro for 20K then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by babytiger View Post
Bazinga! that may be the best advice you get!
I couldn't agree more, don't make the same mistake I did lol
Old 04-18-2013, 12:10 AM   #18
06_warrior

Drives: 2012 1SS LS3 M6 black on black :)
I'm sure there are reasons and pluses to leasing but i would never.
06_warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:20 AM   #19
otter

Drives: Eastbound and Down
Leasing seems to work best for people, who know they will switch cars in a couple of years. If you are the type of person who always wants the newest car, than leasing might work for you.

I wouldn't lease a car to keep my payments low. Your better off getting a cheaper car, pay it off and use it for trade to upgrade in the future.

Even leasing your not going to get a 2LT payment in the $250.00 range.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:17 AM   #20
Agent orange
socal ht5

Drives: 2010 Camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by otter View Post
Leasing seems to work best for people, who know they will switch cars in a couple of years. If you are the type of person who always wants the newest car, than leasing might work for you.

I wouldn't lease a car to keep my payments low. Your better off getting a cheaper car, pay it off and use it for trade to upgrade in the future.

Even leasing your not going to get a 2LT payment in the $250.00 range.
Hes right. Im leasing my "family car". Its less trouble. Before it give s you a problem its already out of your hands. I dont even change the oil on it.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:48 AM   #21
MrSEO

Drives: Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8
Ant - I'm in a similar condition at the moment.

I highly recommend you take a look at PenFed and their balloon payment option. You should be able to very realistically get close to the 250 a month figure with a good down payment.

At the end of loan, simply refinance again or sell the car!
MrSEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:56 AM   #22
tonyko1
Banned

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible, IBM
Ever wonder why a lease is called "a fleece"? You have nothing at the end of it. I would also never buy a former leased car as the one member above mentioned that he never changes the oil...which is why so many car companies now do that for leased cars.

Whatever, I leased once, young and dumb. Never again.
tonyko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:26 AM   #23
Baba

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortbus View Post
A. Don't lease
B. Don't buy a 40,000 dollar car when in college, or right out of college. Get something cheap for a year or two and pick up a used Camaro for 20K then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by babytiger View Post
Bazinga! that may be the best advice you get!

Once you've graduated and you have your degree in your pocket along with having secured a stable, good paying job / career, buy your car. Leasing is not a good idea unless you can write it off on your taxes or your company pays for it. You'll be paying "PREMIUM" on a HWSE. The price you quoted is in the range of an SS Coupe or a 2LT Convertible.

Many forum members, including myself, have their Camaros paid off. Some have busted their ass working and putting every penny towards their payments, others have either saved for many years (or inherited money or won the lottery) in order to pay for their "dream car". Many others are going the traditional way of making monthly payments to pay off their Camaro.

Stick with what you currently have and don't become a "slave" to a car payment. Try to enjoy your collegiate years as much and as best you can. There are more important things in life than driving a nice or "bad ass" car. I can hear the stories now...

Your education will take you further by helping to ensure you'll have a decent, steady source of income from the time you begin your career into your retirement years...then you can piss your money away.
3 Pedals
Build Date: 06/27/2011

Purchased: 07/30/2011
Title Received: 08/15/2011

1984 Camaro (3rd Gen.): Traded: 1987

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."

Last edited by Baba; 04-18-2013 at 06:46 AM.
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:36 AM   #24
davidcroft
Sellin Chevy's since '06

Drives: 18ZL1 02Z-28
$250 a month is about $10,000 for 60 months(average credit). So put about 20 Grand down or so and you could lease it for $250. The math won't work out in your favor on this one
SOLD! '18 ZL1 Mosiac Blk
SOLD!'16 SS Sedan-Forgestars/ARH/rotofab
TRADED!2014 SS Sedan
SOLD! 2013 Blue Ray1SS/1LE 1of20.
TRADED! 2012 White 1SS/RS
davidcroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:42 AM   #25
Fiveg56

Drives: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba View Post

Once you've graduated and you have your degree in your pocket along with having secured a stable, good paying job / career, buy your car. Leasing is not a good idea unless you can write it off on your taxes or your company pays for it. You'll be paying "PREMIUM" on a HWSE. The price you quoted is in the range of an SS Coupe or a 2LT Convertible.

Many forum members, including myself, have their Camaros paid off. Some have busted their ass working and putting every penny towards their payments, others have either saved for many years (or inherited money or won the lottery) in order to pay for their "dream car". Many others are going the traditional way of making monthly payments to pay off their Camaro.

Stick with what you currently have and don't become a "slave" to a car payment. Try to enjoy your collegiate years as much and as best you can. There are more important things in life than driving a nice or "bad ass" car. I can hear the stories now...

Your education will take you further by helping to ensure you'll have a decent, steady source of income from the time you begin your career into your retirement years...then you can piss your money away.
Thanks Dave Ramsey
Fiveg56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:33 AM   #26
Ieatfordsforlunch

Drives: 2008 colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant View Post
MSRP is $37,915 before incentives and rebates.

I'm looking to lease simply because I need the lowest monthly payment possible. Still in college at the moment, but I'm definitely looking to buy it after the lease.
If you can't afford to buy it then your don't need it.
Ieatfordsforlunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:45 AM   #27
Baba

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveg56 View Post
Thanks Dave Ramsey
I'm actually Ric Edelman and "you're welcome."
3 Pedals
Build Date: 06/27/2011

Purchased: 07/30/2011
Title Received: 08/15/2011

1984 Camaro (3rd Gen.): Traded: 1987

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:06 AM   #28
Ringo64
Forever Pontiac

Drives: 2012 Black 2SS/RS
Leasing in your current situation is a very bad idea, as many have said buy a used cheaper car or keep your current if there is no need to get a "new" to you car. Unless you can buy a Camaro outright and fit the bill for gas, insurance, maintenance, etc... Then I wouldn't even consider this car at this time in your life.

I am currently getting my masters (slowly at 1 class/semester) but I have been working in my profession for 3 years and saved money previously as well, which allowed me to put more than half down on my down payment of this car. I bought it last year and am paying it off very soon. Car payments (period, loans or leases) when you're young is something you do not want to have over your head because your life can change very quickly.
Ringo64 is offline   Reply With Quote