Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-26-2013, 12:27 AM   #1
zogster

Drives: 2014 RRM ZL1 M6
Is a 1LE worth $43k?

So I drove a 1SS 1LE (no other options) last week. Awesome drive, and at $36.2k (price the dealer was offering up front), very affordable. The problem with it (for me) is that it doesn't have any features that are currently on my 2LT.

Ideally for me, I would want 2SS 1LE with NPP. The only ones I have found within a reasonable distance are $43k+ MSRP because they have the RS package, extra cost paint, NAV as well.

Looking at cars that are just a few grand more (both new and slightly used), I am just having a hard time justifying that price for a non-ZL1 Camaro.
zogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:03 AM   #2
SSeniorMoment

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 A6 IOM
What kind of memories do you want to have 5-10 years from now?
SSeniorMoment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:10 AM   #3
BigBlock69RS
Ed

Drives: 2013 AGM Camaro 2SS/RS/1LE
Was able to get my 2SSRS 1LE for 40k, 46k msrp, this included the private offer. It has NPP, nav, mats and embroidered ss seat rests and center console.

email the Internet sales department for a bunch of dealers in your area. Tell the what options and colors you want and ask for their best price. You might be surprised what you can get it down to.

Good luck and yes they are worth it even at msrp.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:15 AM   #4
AdamZ
Account Suspended

Drives: Eve - 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Uh...my dealer has a couple for 36. Idk what options you're looking for lol
AdamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:22 AM   #5
zogster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamZ View Post
Uh...my dealer has a couple for 36. Idk what options you're looking for lol
A 2SS with 1LE? What dealer?
Old 05-26-2013, 08:51 AM   #6
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
ZOg you in illinois......I am as many are upgrading their own suspension eventually on a ss because: ! 1 you can pick any rear gear you want, you can buy parts aftermarket that are better for suspension than the 1le parts, who really plans on driving circle tracking road courses....as opposed to a daily driver that can have tires cheaper form different brads that are made all season...not just summer only do not use in cold winter weather tires....And flat black wrap on a hood to remove........And well a SS with better rear end gearing can actually out perform a 1le in the quarter as the transmissions are almost the same, also the front splitter.......Mine would get scraped to death everyday just going in and out of my driveway and I would have to probably remount my show and go plate to hang down on stupid plumbers strap and park in the street forever.......( i have seen one too many cars with fractured ground effects in my lifetime) ANd the biggest one for me was: yes its a nice package but.........It interferes often with getting other options a person wants as it unavailable with a 1le or you have to order it that way and wait and wait..............Sure you dont get the zl1 fuel pump or what ever, but eventually when upgrading a car you would get a dual pump etc..............Or better than what is stock or not need the part. I would say 43 is fair maybe if it has crystal red paint, a moonroof, nav, heritage grill, dual mode exhaust..............
Old 05-26-2013, 08:57 AM   #7
Steven13

Drives: 13' Black SS
if you plan on racing then yea the 1LE is worth it, but just an enthusiast like myself with no real aspirations to race a 1-2SS will do ya good.
Steven13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:04 AM   #8
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
yup, unless you are looking for options, the base price is around $37k bare bones 1SS/1LE, and that's already 2ss territory.
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:10 AM   #9
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zogster View Post
So I drove a 1SS 1LE (no other options) last week. Awesome drive, and at $36.2k (price the dealer was offering up front), very affordable. The problem with it (for me) is that it doesn't have any features that are currently on my 2LT.

Ideally for me, I would want 2SS 1LE with NPP. The only ones I have found within a reasonable distance are $43k+ MSRP because they have the RS package, extra cost paint, NAV as well.

Looking at cars that are just a few grand more (both new and slightly used), I am just having a hard time justifying that price for a non-ZL1 Camaro.
My 2SS/RS 1LE with Sunroof, NAV, NPP and Prem mats, was $41,070 and MSRP was $45,270.

With that said you can do better...
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:11 AM   #10
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by zogster View Post

Let me see , Evo 10, Suburu STI aside from their handling capabilities I see no reason to pay damn near or over $40k for these cars, 1LE to me is more car need I say more.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:18 AM   #11
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
Yes...

If you want a Camaro but can't see spending ZL1 money for a Camaro you absolutely want a 1LE SS.

Say all you want but you CANNOT duplicate or beat a 1LE for less by buying an SS and modding it. Can you build a better Camaro? Sure bit you will spend significantly more than $3500 to do it.

I like that most don't know what I have and with the simple mods I have planned the suspension is G2G. I'll do a few Pedders mods and some springs just because I want to. Heads and Cam with some LT's and a tune will have me at over 500/500 and I will have a perfect daily driver.

Would I buy one of these to replace an existing SS no. If buying new though its a no brainer.

Basically pick out an SS the way you want. Then realize you up the performance of the car by at least 50% for a mere $3500. It's not all about the 1/4 mile performance. On the street this car is flat out better.

When I did my test drives I was extremely underwhelmed by a normal M6 SS. I had lost interest until I read about the 1LE option. Ordered it and had the right to refuse if I didn't like it when I drove it. Needless to say I WAS NOT DISAPPOINTED...

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

Last edited by Firefighter; 05-26-2013 at 09:34 AM.
Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:00 PM   #12
DRKnight1SS
The Dude

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter View Post
Yes...

If you want a Camaro but can't see spending ZL1 money for a Camaro you absolutely want a 1LE SS.

Say all you want but you CANNOT duplicate or beat a 1LE for less by buying an SS and modding it. Can you build a better Camaro? Sure bit you will spend significantly more than $3500 to do it.

I like that most don't know what I have and with the simple mods I have planned the suspension is G2G. I'll do a few Pedders mods and some springs just because I want to. Heads and Cam with some LT's and a tune will have me at over 500/500 and I will have a perfect daily driver.

Would I buy one of these to replace an existing SS no. If buying new though its a no brainer.

Basically pick out an SS the way you want. Then realize you up the performance of the car by at least 50% for a mere $3500. It's not all about the 1/4 mile performance. On the street this car is flat out better.

When I did my test drives I was extremely underwhelmed by a normal M6 SS. I had lost interest until I read about the 1LE option. Ordered it and had the right to refuse if I didn't like it when I drove it. Needless to say I WAS NOT DISAPPOINTED...

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD
I have to say I disagree with this. You can build a better SS non-1LE for less than $3500, not to mention some brands of aftermarket are even better than what comes on the Camaro from the factory. Upgrade the full suspension along with better gearing and you'll be better up to par if not better performing than stock 1LE. That goes without saying that your SS will always be an SS and never labeled a 1LE though
DRKnight1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:02 PM   #13
zogster

The suspension pieces may be upgradeable for less than $3500, but what about the wheels? Wheels and tires alone are probably $3500 if you buy them aftermarket.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:31 PM   #14
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
Eye of the beholder my man