Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications

Old 09-04-2017, 03:55 PM   #1
pumpstar

Drives: 2015 ZL1
Questions on lower pulley set up.

I have been reading or finding on various websites when looking to order, a little conflicting information.

Im wanting to run just a lower pulley when i do the stage 3 BTR cam.

I was playing on running the ATI balancer and 9.17 or 18% lower but have seen different information on what all i need to order and just want to make sure i get it right.

Do I need the 50mm idler like recommended in this link? a chart i referenced showed i did not, i have been told by someone else 76mm, or that I don't need one, or just need a relocation bracket. It's getting exhausting ha.

http://www.jdpmotorsports.com/ati-ov...1-cts-v-918854

Im a bit of a noob and apologize for needing to be spoonfed.

Thanks for any help!
pumpstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 04:44 PM   #2
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpstar View Post
I have been reading or finding on various websites when looking to order, a little conflicting information.

I was playing on running the ATI balancer and 9.17 or 18% lower but have seen different information on what all i need to order and just want to make sure i get it right.

Do I need the 50mm idler like recommended in this link? a chart i referenced showed i did not, i have been told by someone else 76mm, or that I don't need one, or just need a relocation bracket. It's getting exhausting ha.

Thanks for any help!
At 18% you need the idler, otherwise the belt will rub..
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 04:53 PM   #3
pumpstar

Thanks for the reply. i was playing hell trying to get the search function on here to work and gave up.
Old 09-04-2017, 06:50 PM   #4
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
50mm Idlers or the stronger relocation hub. Since you're doing a cam and a relocation or idler, you can run a 9.5 or 10 inch lower for more power
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 07:43 PM   #5
pumpstar

any issues with heat? i am not planning on having to address heat issues which is why i went with the 9.17 but i could always change my order or send it back. ordered it probably right when you replied.

the car wont see any track time its just to for grins driving to work
Old 09-04-2017, 10:48 PM   #6
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
any issues with heat? i am not planning on having to address heat issues which is why i went with the 9.17 but i could always change my order or send it back. ordered it probably right when you replied.

the car wont see any track time its just to for grins driving to work
18% you will see significant performance decreases above 80 degrees after a quick pull. Sorry welcome to the world of SC's.. Good news there are options to make it better..
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:35 AM   #7
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:

Thanks for any help!
We recommend a 22.5% with a cam and Headers on pump gas.

We use the LPE Idler pulley relocation bracket with stock Idler pulley but have also used the 50mm Idler pulley on stock bracket.

Either will require it's own belt length.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 12:03 PM   #8
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Yeah as said above you're going to be addressing heat, fuel, and pressure already with anything over 10%, and you're shooting for 18% (9.17") or 22.5% (9.55") so you'll hopefully handle the fuel with Injectors and a BAP, and then pressure is handled with a cam. Heat needs to be handled with an aftermarket heat exchanger or an expansion tank with ice and water when racing etc.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 07:11 PM   #9
pumpstar

I am planning on doing 85lb injectors, was hoping to get away with not doing cooling mods at least for now. Most I ever do is a quick pull here and there cruising around like i said its just my get around car. do you all think that will be alright or should i go with the 10% lower? i was wondering if i would need a BAP also.

not concerned so much about making the biggest hp as i am having the fun of the cam and being reliable. that said what all do you recommend i do with the cam install. I was planning on calling and ordering from btr and getting the install kit but i see a few different options wasn't sure if they were just personal preference.

my dad is a mechanic but does not work on or do performance stuff but will be helping me with all of this. he was asking about replacing lifters also saying he never heard of not doing that with a cam but from what i have read it seems like mixed opinions. Im all ears and appreciate any insight on what should be done, thanks.
Old 09-05-2017, 07:30 PM   #10
pumpstar

https://www.briantooleyracing.com/bt...s-cam-kit.html

Theres a lot of options to choose from as far as the pushrods and spring kit. not sure what the difference is.

https://www.briantooleyracing.com/ca...ation-kit.html

also lots of choices.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:08 PM   #11
ZO6 Bryan

Drives: 02 Z06, 95 Trans Am, 2012 ZL1
Quote:
I am planning on doing 85lb injectors, was hoping to get away with not doing cooling mods at least for now. Most I ever do is a quick pull here and there cruising around like i said its just my get around car. do you all think that will be alright or should i go with the 10% lower? i was wondering if i would need a BAP also.

not concerned so much about making the biggest hp as i am having the fun of the cam and being reliable. that said what all do you recommend i do with the cam install. I was planning on calling and ordering from btr and getting the install kit but i see a few different options wasn't sure if they were just personal preference.

my dad is a mechanic but does not work on or do performance stuff but will be helping me with all of this. he was asking about replacing lifters also saying he never heard of not doing that with a cam but from what i have read it seems like mixed opinions. Im all ears and appreciate any insight on what should be done, thanks.

Old school flat tappet cams need new lifters when the cam is replaced. Because the cam and lifters develop a wear pattern and match themselves to each other so to speak. Hydraulic roller lifters used in engines since '87 can be reused with a new cam.