Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 06-18-2010, 12:11 AM   #1
All-Or-Nothing
Account Suspended

Drives: BMW 6 series Vert
Should GM officially make the clutch issue a recall

My friend recently purchased a 2SS in April and has been having major issues with his clutch sticking to the floor and the burnt smell. The car has 2300 miles on it right now. The dealership is giving him the run around. He has put all his plans for mods on hold until he can get this sorted out. Seems like this is a known issue here and it also seems like some people aren't really getting help from their dealerships. What do you think........yes or no???
All-Or-Nothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:24 AM   #2
5th_GEN_SS
Junkie

Drives: SIM 2SS/RS M6
there is thread about this, mines in the shop now with similar problems
Old 06-18-2010, 12:11 PM   #3
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
No need for a recall. But a bulletin would make sense so the friggen dealers know how to fix the cars instead of giving so many the run around.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:31 PM   #4
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
+1 TSB!!

And yes, there are multitudes of threads on this!
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:56 PM   #5
pnyklr

Drives: A Gift From My Wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
No need for a recall. But a bulletin would make sense so the friggen dealers know how to fix the cars instead of giving so many the run around.
The question is, DO they know how to fix it?

-Funk
pnyklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 01:09 PM   #6
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
I've had no issues with my new parts
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 01:20 PM   #7
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
This again?

Tell your friend to learn how to drive stick. And if the reply is, "he does." Then ask when this happens and exactly how it's happening.

If anyone has this problem in San Antonio, i want to see for myself this "issue." I had the burnt clutch smell and it was from me slipping the clutch...not from a bad GM part. I get on the gas hard and the clutch does it's job just fine. My clutch is the same as everyone else's. There is NO difference. The only difference is the driver. Parts are all the same.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 04:33 PM   #8
thiggin2

Drives: 05/07 Chevy's
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
This again?

Tell your friend to learn how to drive stick. And if the reply is, "he does." Then ask when this happens and exactly how it's happening.
If anyone has this problem in San Antonio, i want to see for myself this "issue." I had the burnt clutch smell and it was from me slipping the clutch...not from a bad GM part. I get on the gas hard and the clutch does it's job just fine. My clutch is the same as everyone else's. There is NO difference. The only difference is the driver. Parts are all the same.
Well Gm is thinking the same thing as you. Here is what they think is the problem. This is from a PI that was issued a few weeks ago.

Quote:
Customers may comment that the clutch pedal intermittently sticks to the floor or the pedal stays low during hard acceleration from a stop or during a shift. This condition may be difficult to duplicate and may only be noticed when using launch control mode.

Recommendation/Instructions:
This may be the result of the clutch pedal being released too slowly during launch control mode allowing the clutch to slip. This condition can overheat the clutch and deform the pressure plate. Please notify the customer when using the launch control mode, the clutch pedal should be released quickly to avoid overheating the clutch.

Note: Be advised that failures of this nature are generally caused from improper use of the launch control mode by the customer. They are NOT defects in materials or workmanship for which General Motors would be responsible for and should not be covered under the terms of the new vehicle warranty. Vehicles with this complaint should be inspected by your service manager and Fixed Operations Manager (Warranty Manager in Canada).

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.
thiggin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:50 PM   #9
Moorepheus

Drives: 2013 Dodge Charge R/T Plus AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
This again?

But, parts are not parts. Any part from any build can be slightly different than the part in your car. That's why they all have serial numbers so they know which build run they were on. Just becuase you have the same 6 Speed Tranny and Clutch as I do, doesn't mean that the parts are of the same quality.

As for the clutch, I have had it stick half way up a few times, w/out using launch control. However, after reading the post above, I would probably say it's my fault for not releasing the clutch fast enough.

Also, please understand that just becuase you don't experience these issues, doesn't mean someone else doesn't. Be open to the possibility that others may be having issues with their car, either it be Driver fault or not. My example is the threats on the tire pressure monitors being faulty. I don't have any problems with mine, but it doesn't mean others don't. I understand it's frustrating to read about it over and over again, but put yourself in some of these people shoes and try to understand how frustrating it might be for them.

Thanks
Moorepheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 06:55 PM   #10
nascar14fan

Drives: 2010 Red 2SS/CGMStripes/RS/6sp
Amen Moorepheus!!!!! Well thought mine was fixed with my new master/clutch cap. It was for about a week. Problem was totally gone had the same release point, more clutch pressure it was actually AWESOME!! Now the cap is leaking again and problem is back. I beleive my whole problem is the hydrolic system not working like it should with air getting in causing a hydrolic lock. I was told by a retired GM employee this was my problem 4 months ago and I think he is right. I think the new cap I had proves this for the week it was not leaking. I am calling the dealer Monday and see what happens?
nascar14fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:07 AM   #11
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
What a load of horse shit. Now they are telling people if the clutch pedal sticks to the floor, it is not warranty?

Gee, if all these problems were improper launch control usage, why the new part numbers?

I know several people that had clutches go bad with the pedal sticking near the floor. And they didn't once use launch control. Dealer fixed those under warranty. Now that there is this horse shit info out there, I can see a dealer waiving this in your face and not wanting to fix your car.

Quote:
Customers may comment that the clutch pedal intermittently sticks to the floor or the pedal stays low during hard acceleration from a stop or during a shift. This condition may be difficult to duplicate and may only be noticed when using launch control mode.

Recommendation/Instructions:
This may be the result of the clutch pedal being released too slowly during launch control mode allowing the clutch to slip. This condition can overheat the clutch and deform the pressure plate. Please notify the customer when using the launch control mode, the clutch pedal should be released quickly to avoid overheating the clutch.

Note: Be advised that failures of this nature are generally caused from improper use of the launch control mode by the customer. They are NOT defects in materials or workmanship for which General Motors would be responsible for and should not be covered under the terms of the new vehicle warranty. Vehicles with this complaint should be inspected by your service manager and Fixed Operations Manager (Warranty Manager in Canada).

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 04:08 PM   #12
nascar14fan

Never have used launch control to affraid to try it. If my pedal stuck just normal use affraid to try putting it under pressure.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:15 PM   #13
JEFF2010SSMANUAL
JEFF2010SSMANUAL

Drives: IOM 2SS/RS LS3
My clutch stuck to the floor 4 times, and each time was from showing off for people doing a little holeshot. Mine hasn't done it since. Maybe this problem shows itself when the car is abused too much? But thats when its done it to me. I just take it easy now.
JEFF2010SSMANUAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 09:15 AM   #14
nascar14fan

If doing a hole shot is abuse for this car then we all should of bought a mustang (I did a nice holeshot out of my friends mustang GT and not a problem)or other sports car that we can do a holeshot with. You have a Camaro SS with 426 horse and never supposed to get on it at a light when a mustang or challenger is next to you or some kid in his little rice burner that has a 8" exhaust kit on it. Come on GM. I will never buy another stick again next one will be an automatic so I can do a holeshot.