Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 12-31-2008, 06:52 PM   #1
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Smile College [Kind of] Pays Off

I will be leaving my current employment at the hotel for a job that will pay almost double. My previous experience in sales and customer service through school has encouraged this firm to pay me above their entry level salary.

I will be connecting unemployed job candidates with schools that train them for the careers they simply cannot get without a proper education. This, like any job, may not last forever, but it serves the purpose of paying for my financial safety net, my Camaro down payment, and lots of presents for my girlfriend—"I ain't sayin' she's a gold digger!"

This means that I may be able to order my stripped 1SS in 2010 instead of 2012. Obviously, things like this can change quickly based on the market. :(

The main message I want to say, however, is that college is a necessary evil. It is the only place that unwilling customers pay to be judged by those who claim to have superior intellect or expertise; judged by those who, in most cases, educate others in a field to which they will barely contribute. Nevertheless, college forces students to work, and that fundamental balance of work ethic and knowledge is essential to all worthwhile business-oriented career paths. College is not necessary, but it helps. I encourage all of those users who have yet to go to college to consider it, even if they are already engaged in careers that they enjoy.

More employers will read your applications. You will get more interviews. You will be more likely to get hired. You will get paid better. You will be more likely to get promoted. What isn't to like?

My grandfather didn't go to college, and he made a name for himself. He is a great man. To this day, I remember him telling me that college isn't for everyone, but everyone should try it out. I pass the same message to everyone on these boards.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 07:23 PM   #2
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
congrats on finding a better job. as for me... still looking, but my interview for OCS in the USAF went pretty well, so that's looking more like a reality. if that be the case, i'll probably be going into another field i've always thought about, but not using my degree. i still am so very thankful for my college experience & wouldn't trade it for anything (except for maybe an infinite supply of money. then i could do whatever i wanted.)
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 07:41 PM   #3
The_Blur

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post
congrats on finding a better job. as for me... still looking, but my interview for OCS in the USAF went pretty well, so that's looking more like a reality. if that be the case, i'll probably be going into another field i've always thought about, but not using my degree. i still am so very thankful for my college experience & wouldn't trade it for anything (except for maybe an infinite supply of money. then i could do whatever i wanted.)
I'm finding that the degree isn't what is helping me, but the ability to sit down for a couple of hours and punch out a report is. My political science BA is meaningless to a sales job. If I want to sell my degree credentials, I tell an employer that it shows work ethic, that working through college shows discipline, and that the relationship between business and government is a very close one. The third one is a pretty big leap because it requires me to explain my bureaucratic expertise to an employer, and they don't seem to care about it.

In any case, there's no trading a worthwhile college experience with any work experience. It is a social atmosphere that every human being should have the fortune of living. I'm very grateful that I was able to go to the University of Kansas and learn what I did. Much of what I learned was about people in environments outside of the classroom. I can safely say that college made me a better professional even though I have never taken a class in the school of business.

If you have dreams of doing something outside of your expertise, all you have to be able to do is express that passion to your potential employers. It's a bitch, and it takes an eternity to get an offer, but an aggressive commitment to getting what you want will make it happen for you.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:44 PM   #4
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
+10!
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 09:14 PM   #5
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Something to reinforce what blur says.

For most positions that I hire people for, A college degree is worth anywhere from 7 - 11 years of work experience. So, that means if the position requires 12 years of experience. Someone with a degree can get it with as little as 1 - 4 yrs of actual work, depending on the level of the position.

Most of the people we hire are prior military so that military time helps. But when someone has a degree we don't have to have as much justification.

Bottom line, this means, Someone who retires from the military at 20 years makes only a little more than a 22 year old with a degree. Now, the 20 year Vet will probably get promoted faster because he's a more mature worker in most cases. But the degree offsets quite a bit.

Some Examples: I hired a 20 vet with no degree and 24 years work experience, and paid him over 40K. I hired a non Vet with no degree with 15 years total work experience and paid him 25K. We hired a 9 year vet with 12 years experience and a BS degree and paid him 55K to start.

Something to keep in mind. We actually want to pay people as much as they can qualify for. The more money we pay someone the more money we can make. So we are not in the habit of lowering salaries. We try and qualify people for the highest labor category possible...

One quirk, for entry level positions we really like degrees. But for more senior positions, Work experience is more valuable. Now if we can get both then even better.

And for those of you enlisted in the military, I speak from experience. Pay into the GI Bill and get your degree's ASAP, on active duty if you can. It will pay off. I promise.

And Congratulations Blur, I'm sure this is the first of many promotions. Best of luck.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 09:21 PM   #6
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
... and lots of presents for my girlfriend—"I ain't sayin' she's a gold digger!" ...

whu-CHAH (the sound her whip makes )

Seriously, congrats blur.
Mr Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 09:28 PM   #7
The_Blur

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
whu-CHAH (the sound her whip makes )

Seriously, congrats blur.
"I'm Sprung. Now she got me—got me doing things I'd never do. If you ain't been I'm telling you."
Old 12-31-2008, 09:56 PM   #8
playhard67
come to poppa

Drives: 67RS,09 Harley FLHX
congrats on the new job. Really, most people do not get employment in the field of your degree.

Cancelled the 2010 SS/RS (for now) and bought this instead (2009 Harley FLHX)
playhard67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:11 PM   #9
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Good to see you back Playhard...As long as he don't forget where he came from if ever we have to call him Mr. President
Mr Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 08:12 AM   #10
The_Blur

Quote:
Originally Posted by playhard67 View Post
congrats on the new job. Really, most people do not get employment in the field of your degree.
Political science is not what most people think it is. We don't study the history of Presidents and interest groups. We basically study government, why it exists, the components of political systems, and the interactions that lead to public policy. That's a very refined field that allows a participant to either run for office, participate in interest groups, or participate in political parties. Many political science majors go to law school, but many others participate in business, military, or bureaucracy.

I did apply to be a lobbyist for the American Cancer Society. They ended up not filling the position due to budget constraints to the best of my knowledge. Otherwise, I sought employment in areas that could use someone who is good at working with customers and clients.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:16 AM   #11
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Ever since I started working, I have come to the conclusion that university isn't really about what you learn, its how you learn it. Its the thought process and the ability to manage your time that you really learn. Then it gets applied how ever your chose.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 11:18 AM   #12
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Drives: 2017 ZL1 NGM A10
Congrats Blur and best of luck with the new job!
Inspector 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 11:54 AM   #13
MrIcky

Drives: Dodge Ram Megacab & Cobalt SS
GJ and Congrats! I couldn't agree more btw. A degree may just be a checkbox in the interview, but it's a very very big checkbox in bright red right in the middle of the form, with arrows pointed at it.
MrIcky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 02:50 PM   #14
camaro5

Drives: X-15 Velocipede
Congrats!

My degree in Automotive Technology has opened all kinds of doors, like Network Engineer for AT&T.

Now if I could only get this through to my 18yr old son.
camaro5 is offline   Reply With Quote