Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 06-16-2010, 01:28 AM   #1
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Arrow Use of the word "WHIP"

Alright people, let's get this over and done with, and we can all go back to our life as it were. We're gonna have a little talk about the word "whip".

I just can't grasp why people insist on using words that were probably made up by this guy,

but if you just have to, let's get it right shall we?

Believe it or not, this

is NOT a "whip".

THIS is a whip.

Or even this:

Again, not this...

...THIS.

The term "WIP" (possibly coined by this guy, no one's really sure who started it)

Is actually (believe it or not) a functional ACRONYM... It actually refers to a vehicle that is under construction, or currently being modded and is not yet finished.

Let's try it together.

"WIP"

Work

In

Progress

Now I see all the puzzled faces out there...

Once more:

WIP = Work In Progress

WHIP =

Everybody got it? Good Now get out there and try out your new word. Isn't grammar fun?

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp

Last edited by Revo1; 06-16-2010 at 01:56 PM.
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:32 AM   #2
Big Brunsy

Drives: 2010 supercharged LS3
Revo, you never cease to ammuse me
Big Brunsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:33 AM   #3
SScattergunSS
~ Love or Lust ~

Drives: R6P 1SS/RS BLK/L99
Ben, I swear, if the dogs weren't sound asleep in front of the closet, I'd take a picture of a real whip and post it......but I don't want to wake 'em up.

What I want to know is why or who got you this riled up about this?
~ Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just, And this be our motto, "In God is our trust." And the Star Spangled Banner in triumph shall wave O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave ~ Francis Scott Key ~
SScattergunSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:34 AM   #4
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
your getting old my friend
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:35 AM   #5
BozFour
Commander

Drives: 2010 2SS Black
That honestly was the funniest thing ive seen this year lol
BozFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:40 AM   #6
DarthNacho08
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 1999 camaro
Send a message via AIM to DarthNacho08
that................... was pure genius
DarthNacho08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:42 AM   #7
acamellis
IAMACE

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Black A6
Send a message via AIM to acamellis
acamellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:43 AM   #8
Brownhornitt

Drives: 2006 White Corvette Convertible
I hate on/laugh at Lil' Jon as much as the next man, but the term "whip" came way, way, way before him. In fact the term probably dates back to the late 1800s, early 1900s. The term whip has been slang since at least I was young, which was in the late 80s.

This is from Urban Dictionary (which isn't necessarily the end-all, but still better than nothing):

Whip - When the steering wheel was first put into use in automobiles, it was called the "whip". The whip is what you used to control the horses on a stagecoach, hence the analogy. Many years later, various hip hop artists noticed that the Mercedes-Benz logo resembled a steering wheel. They then proceeded to use the old term "whip" to describe any Mercedes-Benz vehicle. The term has now been generalized to classify any expensive automobile.

"Get some facts, and come back and see me." - Jim Calhoun, UConn men's head basketball coach
Old 06-16-2010, 01:46 AM   #9
SScattergunSS
~ Love or Lust ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownhornitt View Post
I hate on/laugh at Lil' Jon as much as the next man, but the term "whip" came way, way, way before him. In fact the term probably dates back to the late 1800s, early 1900s. The term whip has been slang since at least I was young, which was in the late 80s.

This is from Urban Dictionary (which isn't necessarily the end-all, but still better than nothing):

Whip - When the steering wheel was first put into use in automobiles, it was called the "whip". The whip is what you used to control the horses on a stagecoach, hence the analogy. Many years later, various hip hop artists noticed that the Mercedes-Benz logo resembled a steering wheel. They then proceeded to use the old term "whip" to describe any Mercedes-Benz vehicle. The term has now been generalized to classify any expensive automobile.

"Get some facts, and come back and see me." - Jim Calhoun, UConn men's head basketball coach
Ah hell, I learned something tonight!

(I still think I need to post up a pick of my real whip )
~ Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just, And this be our motto, "In God is our trust." And the Star Spangled Banner in triumph shall wave O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave ~ Francis Scott Key ~
Old 06-16-2010, 01:51 AM   #10
Chevyg1rl

Drives: Chevys
Old 06-16-2010, 01:52 AM   #11
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
I don't know ... that Caprice Classic looked kinda clean on those 24's .. maybe it's just me

But anyhow... my or well today's generation used the term "whip" to define a car period

I used the word my self.. but rarely

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:53 AM   #12
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownhornitt View Post

Lil John's gonna hunt you down just to punch you in the face for taking his dues

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:58 AM   #13
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
I'm picturing a Dave Chappelle skit. lol

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 02:02 AM   #14
SScattergunSS
~ Love or Lust ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by v6sonoma View Post
I'm picturing a Dave Chappelle skit. lol
This is when we could've used Richard Pryor!!!