Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 04-30-2013, 09:44 PM   #1
tcalh1

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS
Street Scene lower valance advice

I bought the Street Scene lower grill and started the install this morning. I removed the fascia and lower valance. After an hour of playing with it I realized its going to be a PITA to do by myself. I'm going to have to wait until I can get an extra set of hands to help me.
To anyone that has installed this, I'm looking for any tips to make sure I get it on straight.
tcalh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:52 PM   #2
aero2080

Drives: 2013 camaro vert 1LT
go walmart and get black and decker electronic driver tool. and use it on the self tapping screw. it's about $9.

Regarding center, when you look at the bumper from inside, you will see the center crease on the bumper. Match the grill center with the center crease and start to tighten screw from one side. Before you put the main grill, attach the ducts first if you have ducts....
aero2080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:58 PM   #3
GnyaTek

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS Vert
I have issues with the height of the grille opening being a fair amount larger than the height of the grille itself. When attaching, I ended up having to back the screws out a bit to keep from "scrunching" up the the fascia.

I recommend using small black rubber spacer washers to shim the grille a bit to get he proper spacing (unless they have corrected the issue or perhaps I got one that was outta spec).
GnyaTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:59 PM   #4
tcalh1

Quote:
Originally Posted by aero2080 View Post
go walmart and get black and decker electronic driver tool. and use it on the self tapping screw. it's about $9.

Regarding center, when you look at the bumper from inside, you will see the center crease on the bumper. Match the grill center with the center crease and start to tighten screw from one side. Before you put the main grill, attach the ducts first if you have ducts....
Yeah, I have the ducts.
I'm glad you said to do them first. I was thinking of doing them last.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:03 PM   #5
tcalh1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnyaTek View Post
I have issues with the height of the grille opening being a fair amount larger than the height of the grille itself. When attaching, I ended up having to back the screws out a bit to keep from "scrunching" up the the fascia.

I recommend using small black rubber spacer washers to shim the grille a bit to get he proper spacing (unless they have corrected the issue or perhaps I got one that was outta spec).
I don't believe they have corrected this. When I was test fitting it seemed that I was having to push the fascia to meet the grill.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:08 PM   #6
aero2080

Drives: 2013 camaro vert 1LT
When you attach the ducts, attach the top side first then the bottom. (double sided tape is on top and bottom)
aero2080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:14 PM   #7
GnyaTek

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcalh1 View Post
I don't believe they have corrected this. When I was test fitting it seemed that I was having to push the fascia to meet the grill.
Figured that may be the case.

The next time I have my fascia off, I plan to "fix" the spacing properly with the shim washers. I was able to get by with it without, but would prefer to have it "dressed" out properly.

I pre-drilled the holes assuming that they would align with the center of the tabs ... this was also incorrect assumption. When you test fit, might want to mark all of the hole positions, then pre-drill the pilot holes. It was tricky getting the alignment correct - especially getting it spaced properly front to back since I really don't like the look of some of the bolt-over type grilles that leave the factory ones in place.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:17 PM   #8
tcalh1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnyaTek View Post
Figured that may be the case.

The next time I have my fascia off, I plan to "fix" the spacing properly with the shim washers. I was able to get by with it without, but would prefer to have it "dressed" out properly.

I pre-drilled the holes assuming that they would align with the center of the tabs ... this was also incorrect assumption. When you test fit, might want to mark all of the hole positions, then pre-drill the pilot holes. It was tricky getting the alignment correct - especially getting it spaced properly front to back since I really don't like the look of some of the bolt-over type grilles that leave the factory ones in place.
It kind of seemed like it is in more of a V than the fascia. I think I may have to bend it out a bit. Did you notice this on yours?
Old 04-30-2013, 10:33 PM   #9
GnyaTek

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcalh1 View Post
It kind of seemed like it is in more of a V than the fascia. I think I may have to bend it out a bit. Did you notice this on yours?
Mine is slightly shallower angle (flatter) than the fascia. This isn't an issue for me, though getting it aligned is the challenge as you are finding. I love the look of the grille since it is one of the few that match the look of the Heritage Grille (the lines and spacing, etc). But I was disappointed in fitment and installation ease. Since then, it also has accumulated a lotta rock chips. Will be looking to remove and repaint it soon. (I've had it on the car for perhaps a year or a bit more and perhaps around 15k miles).

Edit: mine does not have the ports, so no experience on that aspect (per aero2080's post)