Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 06-05-2011, 09:50 PM   #1
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
We lost a hero this week...... (NFB)

more ramblings from Fbodfather.........

We lost a hero this week…..

James Aurness……he eliminated the ‘u’ when he went into show business…

Most of us know him as “Matt Dillon” of Gunsmoke fame.

Most of us don’t know that he was actor Peter Graves’ brother.

Most of us don’t know that he was awarded several medals – the most noteworthy being the Purple Heart from injuries sustained in World War II. He’d tried to enlist in the Naval Airforce, but because he was too tall (6 feet, 6 inches) – he was rejected, so he simply enlisted in the Army. He was sent to Anzio, Italy and in 1944, his right leg was hit many times from machine gun fire. It took a year for him to recover - and while doctors tried to mend his leg, he was left with a limp that would never leave. .

Yes – he was a card carrying member of ‘The Greatest Generation.’

Yes -- we lost a hero this week……..

He had many jobs – a carpenter, a salesman, a radio announcer…..surfing was a particular passion……
He moved to California in the late 40s -- where his rugged good looks got the attention of several people in Hollywood……John Wayne being one notable celebrity who worked to get him the lead in Gunsmoke. Until recently, Gunsmoke was the longest running TV series……

James didn’t have an easy life—his first wife and his daughter both died of suicide…… and yet he believed in ‘giving back’ …..among the many charities he supported, was Cerebral Palsey research. He donated his 1400 acre ranch in Simi Valley to Brandis University…….a 60 foot catamaran to the Boy Scouts.

He considered Ronald Reagan a great friend…..and took his death very hard. Lady Bird Johnson was dismayed that he was a staunch Republican –yet she watched every episode of Gunsmoke….

There is a name for people like James Arness: “Gentleman”………..and yes, “hero”……….

Now……….some would see Gunsmoke as ‘old fashioned’ – perhaps a bit ‘corny’ – and yet America tuned in each week to watch Matt Dillon, Doc Adams, Festus Haggan, and of course, Miss Kitty…..

I remember that my great uncle Rudy (“Unk”) loved to watch Gunsmoke – he would laugh and laugh at the antics of Festus.....
... and in many ways, Unk reminded me of Matt Dillon……tall, strong, a man of few measured words; fair, respectful of others…….an uncle that taught you right from wrong – the value and reward of hard work and love of God and country…..and to always respect people….and just as Matt Dillon always seemed to be in the right place at the right time for the citizens of Dodge City – “Unk” was always there for me………

Indeed, we lost a hero this week…….

Matt Dillon didn’t curse – he didn’t drink heavily – he didn’t take drugs – he didn't walk around half naked -
.... he protected “Dodge City, Kansas” from those who would seek to thieve and plunder and pillage…….

He treated Miss Kitty with respect – and protected her - and if they DID sleep together, you never knew it by watching the program…….

Matt Dillon – James Arness – was an American Hero……..

A hero we lost this week....

Today, one tunes into TV shows – and we don’t see heros like Matt Dillon...

No – we see a train wreck called “Charlie Sheen” – and we watch in disbelief as people spend $500 or more to see his live stage show ¬– and then we watch these people get angry because stage show is a disaster…and they realize that they threw away $500 or more…get a clue, people!

We see Lindsay Lohan in trouble time after time – with lenient judges allowing her to go free – only to have her thumb her nose at society. And then there’s her illustrious father…….another train wreck in slow motion………..

We watch a talentless Paris Hilton carry on……and I can only wonder the embarrassment that Conrad Hilton would feel if he could see one of his ‘kin’ act with such crassness…..

….and then there’s the nightmare called “The Jersey Shore” which is an insult to the men and women who call the Jersey Shore home…… If I had a dog or cat that behaved like “The Situation” or “Snookie” – I’d take them to a veterinarian and have them put to sleep……

And I can’t help but wonder what’s to become of my great nephew and great niece and their generation as they grow up without heros like Matt Dillon.

How bad has it gotten?

…I got onto a Jet about a year ago – and a teenager – he had yet to turn 16 years of age – was wearing a raggedy T-shirt that on the front said (and I’m not kidding)

“Hey F##khead – give me another beer!”

(!!!!!!!!!)

The parents were with him……..and I would not be caught dead dressed in what they were wearing……right there in First class…so it wasn’t an issue of money……….and you realize that our standards have slipped so far.......

And you see – as the standards slip into what could be best described as a cesspool, I worry for the long-term viability of our society –
…..when it’s OK to call a woman unspeakable names on TV or in contemporary ‘music’…….

and I wonder how my beloved Dylan and Lexie will see the world thru eyes that will have been desensitized……

Ricky and Lucy Ricardo -- and Rob and Laura Petrie-- slept in separate beds……….can you imagine the shock and outrage even 10 years ago if we ran TV advertisements for “Erections lasting more than 4 hours.” – and yet we run them all day long.......

Yes – we lost a hero this week………

…………..and this country will never be quite the same……….

James – rest in peace – and from a once-young boy and his uncle that tuned in every week to watch you ‘protect and serve’ – thank you for the values that you helped to instill……

…..we lost a hero this week……….

Old 06-05-2011, 10:03 PM   #2
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
:flag2: Here, here. I second every word! Once again, thank you Fbodfather for reminding us of what is important & from whence we have come.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:06 PM   #3
426 SS/RS
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Black
Rest in Peace...No need to worry Marshall, the streets are always safe up there...

I drive a Fire Truck and a Camaro...man life is good!!!

PROUD RECIPIENT OF MIKE JUDGE LITHOGRAPH #192
CAMARO'S FOR HERO'S 2011 TOP 50 PICK
C5FEST II MODERATORS FAVORITE CAMARO PICK
BBOMG 3 ATTENDEE

CAI Cold Air Intake/HURST Billet Plus 2 Shifter
426 SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:13 PM   #4
hotrodsally
The Legend Lives On

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS SIM
Send a message via Yahoo to hotrodsally
Amen.

Viva Las Vegas!
hotrodsally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:28 PM   #5
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
I watched Gunsmoke re-runs as a kid in Oklahoma. My grandma watched it and so I did as well. Festus was funny, Miss Kitty was hot (even for a small boy ) and Matt Dylan was ompnipitant.

And, yes, Holywood is a sewer. Guys like James Arness now have to hide their views and opinions to keep from being ostracized.

Scott, though I wasn't hit as hard as you by this, your post is refreshing to me and honors James Arness appropriately.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:31 PM   #6
Red Jewel RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Red Jewel RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:32 PM   #7
DerbyChamp06

Drives: 13' RAM 1500 4x4
Wow, didn't realize he was Peter Graves' brother! Just pulled up the wiki and he was born in Minneapolis too. Great show, great actor, and obviously a great person!
Old 06-05-2011, 10:35 PM   #8
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:29 AM   #9
"prima"Donna
HWAY STR

Drives: 2010 RJT VIN#7085 & 2014 CRT C7
the Fbodfather has spoken...

Scott, you have stated very eloquently a sad fact about our current culture...having brought up 2 sons who are now young men, Keith and I taught them manners and respect...they have been taught to work for what they want, because even if we were millionaires, (which we are NOT) we would not give them everything...they had to earn it themselves, just the way we were brought up to do...that teaches children to appreciate what they have...

I sadly believe we are the exception most of the time...my younger son even says that he is ashamed of his generation and fears for our great country when his generation is running things...a sad commentary on our nation's morals and values of late...

I can only hope and pray that somewhere down the line parents take back their places as heads of the household, and stop letting their kids be the boss of them...Scott, can you imagine if we ever talked to our parents the way a lot of kids do today?...

Rest in peace, Mr James Arness... a hero to a whole generation