Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 09-21-2010, 12:53 AM   #1
driftertx

Drives: Camaro
1500mile oil change, need advice for service jack and jack stand

So I'm getting ready to change my oil for the first time in my 2011 LS coupe (first time to change oil for any car I've owned). I need some help on jack stands, I figured I'd buy Hein-Werner as they're USA made at 3ton capacity and they're expensive but not outrageous. Although I know the car is a little under 2tons i'd rather have the stronger steel for my piece of mind . I'm guessing when the jack stand says 3tons capcity that means each jack stand that I get (comes in a pair) can support 3 tons right?...because it wouldn't make any sense if each stand didn't support the full weight advertised or you wouldn't be able to put the next stand on jack? I ask this because I was looking at craftsman originally and I saw '4ton capacity...when used in a pair" which those would work but the whole " made in china" thing wigs me out when I'm going to be supporting a 3700lb vehicle that I would be laying under. With the calculation that sears had on their jack stands it makes it sound like their jack stands individually only supports 2tons each (very close to the limit and too close for comfort for me). I've included the link for the jack stands I intend to get:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...9988_200349988

As for the jack itself, does anyone have any recommendations that are reasonably priced? the Hein-Werner ones are way out of my league (average 350-400$) and I figure I can go a little cheaper on the jack itself as it's only support the weight for 10-15seconds and I wont be under the car while that is happening just long enough to put the jack stands on...I saw a few videos of people changing their camaro's oil on youtube with a jack and having trouble with jacks like the craftsman being too big to fit, any recommendations on an economical (100~ range) "low profile" model jack?

thanks in advance.
driftertx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:16 AM   #2
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Cool

Those jack stands look fine. Any low-profile service jack should work. I use ramps - very easy, no jack stands needed...

This one looks good: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...6598_200326598

Get a jack puck too so it doesn't scratch the frame. I've lifted the entire front end of from the center beam under the car - then put my 2 jacks under.
Attached Images

2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:34 AM   #3
clg_98ta

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
After years of using 80+ lb floor jacks, I finally got this Aluminum one from Harbor Freight and am happy with it so far:

http://www.harborfreight.com/merchan...lue-40105.html

You'll also save a ton on stands there as well. Tip: Google "Harbor Freight 20% off coupon", print and save more (even off sale prices).

clg_98ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:06 PM   #4
CamaroNewb

Drives: 2010 Summit White Camaro 2SS RS
I have had that jack from harbor freight for 7 years now and it has done everything i have asked of it. Even somethings it prob should not have. I actually didn't pay anything for mine but I would not hesitate to buy one if the time comes. I also just used this to get under my car to put the pfadt springs on. It is low enough to get under there with it lowered as well.
CamaroNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 02:39 PM   #5
Wild Bill

Drives: Camaro 2015 RS CRM
I bought this Rand floor jack on ebay. I have not used it yet, but I am impressed with the quality and the great price. The vendor shipped quickly.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Rand-...motiveQ5fTools
6000 - 7/17/09
See my Thread in New York Metro Area.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33878

Last edited by Wild Bill; 09-21-2010 at 02:54 PM.
Wild Bill is offline   Reply With Quote