Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 06-10-2013, 10:27 PM   #1
muscle96ss

Drives: 02 SS 35th LE Vert, 2013 ZL-1 Vert
MyLink and Text Messages?

I have my iphone 4 hooked up to my MyLink through my USB and whenever I get a text message there is no notification. In other words my phone is set to both vibrate as well as play "last kiss" by Pearl Jam when I get a text message. However, nothing happens and many times when I get out of the car I notice I have a bunch of text messages on my phone. Does anyone else have the same problem?
muscle96ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:51 PM   #2
ScottR

Drives: 2013 Blue Ray Metallic 2LT RS
I think that's by design. Texting and driving isn't safe, it's even illegal in a lot of states.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:09 PM   #3
muscle96ss

Drives: 02 SS 35th LE Vert, 2013 ZL-1 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottR View Post
I think that's by design. Texting and driving isn't safe, it's even illegal in a lot of states.
I get that, but by not letting the notification go through I am constantly checking my phone in case I miss an important text message(i.e. wife telling me to pick up kids since she is in a meeting). At least with the notification I know that there is something I need to check and can pull over and check it(or when I am with one of the kids I will let them read it and have a conversation with whomever is texting me).
muscle96ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:13 PM   #4
45thCamaro

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th Anniversary RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscle96ss View Post
I get that, but by not letting the notification go through I am constantly checking my phone in case I miss an important text message(i.e. wife telling me to pick up kids since she is in a meeting). At least with the notification I know that there is something I need to check and can pull over and check it(or when I am with one of the kids I will let them read it and have a conversation with whomever is texting me).
Did you watch the WWDC today?

I am thinking you did and saw the new ios7 with the ios in the car feature. It's a great idea. Not having a car with mylink I was interested in aftermarket radios having this feature enabled.
45thCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:14 PM   #5
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Mylink does not do it..others are allowing the texts to come thru and be read - you cannot answer, except some preprogramed answers...Honda and BMW have that now...
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:38 AM   #6
suzook

Drives: camaro
My Ford explorer let's you read the texts onscreen, or it plays it for you. This is pretty lame for my link not to have this.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:59 PM   #7
JimE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
My Ford explorer let's you read the texts onscreen, or it plays it for you. This is pretty lame for my link not to have this.
Matter of opinion. Have you seen the stats for the number of accidents caused by people talking or texting while driving? I've had numerous close calls with people paying more attention to their phone instead of the interstate where they are doing 70mph.

Drive OR use the phone. You don't need to do both.
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:36 AM   #8
suzook

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimE View Post
Matter of opinion. Have you seen the stats for the number of accidents caused by people talking or texting while driving? I've had numerous close calls with people paying more attention to their phone instead of the interstate where they are doing 70mph.

Drive OR use the phone. You don't need to do both.
Its safer for my ford to display a text...or play it for me, than looking at the phone....how's this more dangerous? It NO different than changing a station on the radio.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:49 AM   #9
Bradanomics

Drives: 2013 2LT vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
Its safer for my ford to display a text...or play it for me, than looking at the phone....how's this more dangerous? It NO different than changing a station on the radio.
I disagree. I can change to a different radio station without my eyes leaving the road. If you read a text message, that's 2-5 seconds that your eyes are off the road.
Bradanomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:27 AM   #10
Twilborne

Drives: 2013 Blue Ray Blue 2LT
Texting and driving is not safe. I think people forget that that is not the only distraction people are having on the road. How about the lady driving and putting on makeup, the guy driving with the morning paper draped over the steering wheel, people driving with a laptop in the passenger seat doing who knows what, people trying to eat a ham sandwich and put ketchup on their fries while driving 90 miles an hour down the highway. Yes texting is not safe, we need to pass laws and ban it and put the offenders behind bars.
Twilborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:35 AM   #11
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilborne View Post
Texting and driving is not safe. I think people forget that that is not the only distraction people are having on the road. How about the lady driving and putting on makeup, the guy driving with the morning paper draped over the steering wheel, people driving with a laptop in the passenger seat doing who knows what, people trying to eat a ham sandwich and put ketchup on their fries while driving 90 miles an hour down the highway. Yes texting is not safe, we need to pass laws and ban it and put the offenders behind bars.
the car companies know this, and agree....the move is to have emails and texts read to you thru the speakers.. and only now only pre-programmed responses allowed to go out of the car. BMW and Honda have this and I'm sure others as well. BMW has just added Dragon Dictation to their idrive system and I'm sure Siri technology with Apple will do this soon.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:39 AM   #12
swizlstik

Drives: 2018 Garnet ZL1
If you are playing music from your iPhone, you will hear all notifications.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:24 AM   #13
Twilborne

Drives: 2013 Blue Ray Blue 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
the car companies know this, and agree....the move is to have emails and texts read to you thru the speakers.. and only now only pre-programmed responses allowed to go out of the car. BMW and Honda have this and I'm sure others as well. BMW has just added Dragon Dictation to their idrive system and I'm sure Siri technology with Apple will do this soon.
That was my attempt at being facetious . My point is that everyone makes such a big deal about texting and never mentions anything else. Texting is just a small part of the problem when it comes to distracted driving.
Twilborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:09 PM   #14
suzook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilborne View Post
That's just the the thing....if it displayed/and or played the text, no one would be texting while driving....the way I see it...if we are that concerned about driving....let's get rid of the the nav/and radio all together.