Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 11-04-2015, 03:24 PM   #15
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
Plug after Torco
Attached Images

Old 11-04-2015, 04:49 PM   #16
2SSCAMARO

Drives: 2010 Camaro Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams76 View Post
Recently I've been running into bad 93 pump gas which gives me some pretty decent KR readings. One tank was up into the 6.0 at WOT area and the last tank was in the 3-4 area at WOT. Got a decent batch of gas currently with KR at 0-.5 at WOT.

So question is, which would be better to boost octane is a bad gas situation...... A can of octane booster (such as Torco) or some sort of race gas added to the tank (such as C10/C16)?
1. Are you consistently buying your gas from a high volume brand name
station?
2. Is the KR you're experiencing at the initial hit of the throttle (burst
Knock)?
3. Are you running an aftermarket tune? If so, what is the AFR and what
is the max timing advance at WOT?

Just livin' life
2SSCAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 08:37 AM   #17
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Plug after Torco
There is a lot of oil on the plug which can lead to detonation.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 02:06 PM   #18
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSCAMARO View Post
1. Are you consistently buying your gas from a high volume brand name
station?
2. Is the KR you're experiencing at the initial hit of the throttle (burst
Knock)?
3. Are you running an aftermarket tune? If so, what is the AFR and what
is the max timing advance at WOT?
I've bought from 5 different stations so far. Knock shows up at WOT after 5000rpm. Stock tune.
Old 11-05-2015, 02:22 PM   #19
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
There is a lot of oil on the plug which can lead to detonation.

Ted.
Thanks Ted, I took the CAI off the TB and pushed the blade open........ There's some oil in the intake manifold and behind the TB blade.

Which catch can do you recommend?
Old 11-05-2015, 03:00 PM   #20
avido

Drives: camaro ss\rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by fif_gen_powa View Post
Race gas would cost a lot more to get a mix of 20 gallons of 97 octane than a single bottle of torco
but it's still less expensive thant the regular in Italy...
2014 camaro SS Whipple powered ,3.750 pulley,ID850, CAI,Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust,MGW racing shifter,Bo White ported tb,MightyMouse Catch Can,Vitesse throttle controller,GM 3.91 rear end, Dynatech longtube haders, BTR Pd cam,Fluidampr stock pulley,ZL1 fuel pump and ADM fpcm, Phastek scoop and fluid thank relocation Bmr Motor mount . Tuned by Mastuning

avido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 04:01 PM   #21
2SSCAMARO

Quote:
I've bought from 5 different stations so far. Knock shows up at WOT after 5000rpm. Stock tune.
I would suggest buying gas at only high volume major brand name stations
like chevron, BP, Mobil, Sunoco etc. You might even throw in a bottle of heet plus injector cleaner in case you've got some water in the tank.With what you've said and logging KR at high rpms that are not burst knock, a likely cause is as Ted suggested, detonation either caused by or made worse by having oil vapors and mist in the intake. Another possible, but less likely, cause is having anything loose that could rattle and cause false knock like the mid pipes contacting the tunnel brace etc.

Just livin' life
Old 11-05-2015, 04:21 PM   #22
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Quote:
I would suggest buying gas at only high volume major brand name stations
like chevron, BP, Mobil, Sunoco etc. You might even throw in a bottle of heet plus injector cleaner in case you've got some water in the tank.With what you've said and logging KR at high rpms that are not burst knock, a likely cause is as Ted suggested, detonation either caused by or made worse by having oil vapors and mist in the intake. Another possible, but less likely, cause is having anything loose that could rattle and cause false knock like the mid pipes contacting the tunnel brace etc.
I only buy gas at high volume stations. Racetrack, Speedway, 7/11. I checked and double checked all my connections with the cats.

I see Bradenton in your signature. Are you going to Modern Muscle ShootOut Saturday?
Old 11-05-2015, 05:34 PM   #23
2SSCAMARO

Weather is forecasted to be 85* with 40% chance of thunderstorms. At the moment I'm not planning on going.

Just livin' life
Old 11-05-2015, 05:43 PM   #24
norris_83

Drives: Chevrolet Corvette C6 Z06
As said above, those plugs are dirty dirty.. whens the last time you changed them and what kind of plugs do you use?

If your a weekend cruiser, or don't ever get on it, then keep the factory plugs on there. If you do actually race it and use it like it should be used, then upgrade to some TR6 plugs. Not even the Iridium plugs, I've tried and tested this and TR6 plugs actually stop knock.

If you have HP Tuners, shoot me a PM, leme take a look at your knock sensors. They are very sensitive from the factory, leading to 2-3counts of KR on a stock tune.
norris_83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 08:48 PM   #25
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Quote:
Weather is forecasted to be 85* with 40% chance of thunderstorms. At the moment I'm not planning on going.
Oh, I'm going with the local Camaro club. Cant be worse than last years modern muscle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by norris_83 View Post
As said above, those plugs are dirty dirty.. whens the last time you changed them and what kind of plugs do you use?

If your a weekend cruiser, or don't ever get on it, then keep the factory plugs on there. If you do actually race it and use it like it should be used, then upgrade to some TR6 plugs. Not even the Iridium plugs, I've tried and tested this and TR6 plugs actually stop knock.

If you have HP Tuners, shoot me a PM, leme take a look at your knock sensors. They are very sensitive from the factory, leading to 2-3counts of KR on a stock tune.
Those are the stock pugs, car has 28k on it. I was looking at the TR6 plugs but have read a few threads on it, one Ted chimed in a few times and added his 40+ years of experience

I don't have HP tuners or anything. I read my KR though AeroForce scan gauges. A guy from the club I belong to is going to data log my car sometime in the near future. But right at this second, I think Ted is 100% correct with the oil causing the KR. I've run the 1LE oil separator since day 1 and that attaches directly to the CAI. My TB has the ring of oil behind the TB blade and the inside of my IM is shiny from oil, no oil is pooled inside of it as far as I could see.
Old 11-06-2015, 11:56 AM   #26
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Engineering View Post
Install the complete Elite E2-X Ultra Catch Can system and it will reduce the KR. Log before and after for proof.
Just purchased an E2 last night