Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 09-08-2012, 09:58 PM   #1
rhunley14

Drives: Camaro SS
Methanol

Where is a good place to get methanol? Is there any other products that mimic this?
rhunley14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:05 PM   #2
chappy48

Drives: 2010 Camaro Auto 2SS/RS
Any performance shop should be able to sell it too you. Heard from someone that windshield washer fluid could work in an emergency. Me personally though...I won't touch the stuff. None of the systems are reliable enough imho and if they go...so does your engine. Not to say there aren't a ton of people out there running it with no problem. I just won't take that risk.
TVS2300 Supercharger w/Maggie Max Stage 2, 3.6 Pulley, Innovators West 8 rib conversion, OD rear Cog belt drive.
Jannetty Racing Rough Idle Cam, LS3 Conversion.
Jannetty Racing built 6l80e Trans, Jannetty Racing Custom Converter, Built rear diff w/ 3.45 gears, DSS driveshaft and 1400 hp axles.
ADM Twin Pump Fuel System, ADM CAI, Dynatech 1 7/8" Coated Headers, Borla "S" Catback.
Custom 18" Forgestar F14's, Nitto 305/45-18 DR's
chappy48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:07 PM   #3
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhunley14 View Post
Where is a good place to get methanol? Is there any other products that mimic this?
Race shops usually have it.

• Snow Performance sells 51/49 water/methanol mix as Boost Juice™ (see products). If this is used exclusively, Snow Performance can lifetime warranty a system so long as the free registration card is sent in soon after purchase.
• Methanol can generally be purchased where racing fuels are sold. Also, most gas line dryers like "Heet" are simply methanol. Suppliers of industrial chemicals can also supply methanol for a very reasonable price. Ensure that the methanol is "neat" and therefore has no additives or lubricants added by the supplier.
• -20 degree F rated, blue windshield washer fluid is acceptable for use as well, and is available at most service stations. Although some fluids rated to under -20 degrees F contain glycol and other copolymers, most windshield washer fluids are up to 40% methanol. Try to find one that displays "contains methanol" on the label and is good to -20 degrees F, with no additives or special ingredients and is blue in color.
• Methanol can be purchased on the web at www.worldwideracingfuels.com and www.hiperfuels.com.
• Additionally, many sprint car drivers and circle track and drag racers use methanol as a primary fuel. They often have methanol on hand and will even sell methanol that has been un-sealed for a long time at a very low price. Just be sure that the methanol has NO additives or lubricants (such as top lube), as they are not needed and can damage the pump.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:42 AM   #4
BLACK10

Drives: 2010 CAMARO. 10.04@133mph, 1.4 60'
Quote:
Originally Posted by chappy48 View Post
Any performance shop should be able to sell it too you. Heard from someone that windshield washer fluid could work in an emergency. Me personally though...I won't touch the stuff. None of the systems are reliable enough imho and if they go...so does your engine. Not to say there aren't a ton of people out there running it with no problem. I just won't take that risk.
There are safeties built into the tune to account for meth system failures. Most of them are IAT based
BLACK10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:46 AM   #5
chappy48

Drives: 2010 Camaro Auto 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK10 View Post
There are safeties built into the tune to account for meth system failures. Most of them are IAT based
Funny you posted that after a guy that had a costly meth failure lol. I'm not an expert by any means, but from experience and what I've been told by people that do this for a living...meth is not the way to go. Just adding meth with no tuning does nothing (from what I understand). Tuning for extra power, because of meth, puts you in the danger zone if it fails. To me...that's not a product I would want in my car. If I want more power, I will use race gas and increase the boost.
TVS2300 Supercharger w/Maggie Max Stage 2, 3.6 Pulley, Innovators West 8 rib conversion, OD rear Cog belt drive.
Jannetty Racing Rough Idle Cam, LS3 Conversion.
Jannetty Racing built 6l80e Trans, Jannetty Racing Custom Converter, Built rear diff w/ 3.45 gears, DSS driveshaft and 1400 hp axles.
ADM Twin Pump Fuel System, ADM CAI, Dynatech 1 7/8" Coated Headers, Borla "S" Catback.
Custom 18" Forgestar F14's, Nitto 305/45-18 DR's
chappy48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:02 AM   #6
Tibo1LE

Drives: 2018 camaro ss 1LE
Winshield washer Pacer -35!!!50/50 water-meth!!!that's what I used in my celica at 100% of the time!! My 2000 celica = 1.8 with a Garrett gt3076r@24psi 543whp

2011 CORVETTE GRAND SPORT SOLD

2007 CORVETTE Z06 Sold

SOLD 2010 CAMARO 2ss m6 SOLD

--magnaflow comp exhaust--cai (cold air inductions)--JRE Scoop, Roto-fab bottle--SP 1-7/8 LT Headers--SCT itsx with 415 Ted Jannetty tune--1le 3.91 gears--rx catch cans-- 12.9@113.8mph
Tibo1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:13 AM   #7
Smart Line

Drives: 2011 Blue1SSRS 623RWHP, 02 vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
Race shops usually have it.

• Snow Performance sells 51/49 water/methanol mix as Boost Juice™ (see products). If this is used exclusively, Snow Performance can lifetime warranty a system so long as the free registration card is sent in soon after purchase.
• Methanol can generally be purchased where racing fuels are sold. Also, most gas line dryers like "Heet" are simply methanol. Suppliers of industrial chemicals can also supply methanol for a very reasonable price. Ensure that the methanol is "neat" and therefore has no additives or lubricants added by the supplier.
• -20 degree F rated, blue windshield washer fluid is acceptable for use as well, and is available at most service stations. Although some fluids rated to under -20 degrees F contain glycol and other copolymers, most windshield washer fluids are up to 40% methanol. Try to find one that displays "contains methanol" on the label and is good to -20 degrees F, with no additives or special ingredients and is blue in color.
• Methanol can be purchased on the web at www.worldwideracingfuels.com and www.hiperfuels.com.
• Additionally, many sprint car drivers and circle track and drag racers use methanol as a primary fuel. They often have methanol on hand and will even sell methanol that has been un-sealed for a long time at a very low price. Just be sure that the methanol has NO additives or lubricants (such as top lube), as they are not needed and can damage the pump.
I buy it by the 55 gallon drum 100% meth, 2.20 a gallon.
Just have not added it to the car yet used for Go carts.and
other race applications...

Team LS-3
Smart Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:29 AM   #8
stevieturbo

Drives: it changes
Quote:
Funny you posted that after a guy that had a costly meth failure lol. I'm not an expert by any means, but from experience and what I've been told by people that do this for a living...meth is not the way to go. Just adding meth with no tuning does nothing (from what I understand). Tuning for extra power, because of meth, puts you in the danger zone if it fails. To me...that's not a product I would want in my car. If I want more power, I will use race gas and increase the boost.
If you tune it in such a way a failure will cause damage. The damage isnt a result of the failure, it's a result of whoever tuned it that way.

For a foolproof setup and if your ecu allows it, AEM offer a flow meter with a 0-5v output which can be used to apply any fuel/timing adjustments

IAT is another option, but it does make a lot of assumptions and isnt the best way to do it. But it can work.

And race gas isnt practical for a road car. Fine when racing though
stevieturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:43 AM   #9
Whipped416

Drives: 2010 CAMARO SS
Get an alky Control kit from julio and be done with it... Lots of saftey features to let you know if anything would ever happen..
Whipped416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:10 AM   #10
BLACK10

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieturbo View Post
If you tune it in such a way a failure will cause damage. The damage isnt a result of the failure, it's a result of whoever tuned it that way.

For a foolproof setup and if your ecu allows it, AEM offer a flow meter with a 0-5v output which can be used to apply any fuel/timing adjustments

IAT is another option, but it does make a lot of assumptions and isnt the best way to do it. But it can work.

And race gas isnt practical for a road car. Fine when racing though
I agree with the tuning is the most important factor, but please reread what I said. I mentioned that iats are one way of tuning for it. Almost 90% of our fi cars run 100% meth.

Also, a fuel pump can fail just as easy causing motor failure. As long as its fully understood, there is nothing wrong with using methanol
Old 09-09-2012, 11:12 AM   #11
rhunley14

Drives: Camaro SS
Black10.. Some I'm clear on this.. If I have a tank that is empty is there any chance in boost to hurt engine.. Or is it in boost methanol runs out then there's issues.. Can you clarify..
rhunley14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:12 AM   #12
BLACK10

Quote:
Not sure what failure you are referring to. We have never had an issue with a meth system at our shop.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:15 AM   #13
BLACK10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhunley14 View Post
Black10.. Some I'm clear on this.. If I have a tank that is empty is there any chance in boost to hurt engine.. Or is it in boost methanol runs out then there's issues.. Can you clarify..
The most dangerous time would be during boost if the meth fails, but if properly tuned, the safties should prevent damage .
Old 09-09-2012, 11:19 AM   #14
Whipped416

Drives: 2010 CAMARO SS
yes if u are tuned for meth u need to make sure it does not go empty!! if it does dont go in boost!
Whipped416 is offline   Reply With Quote