Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 07-24-2010, 01:27 AM   #1
StevenMarrocco

Drives: INFERNO ORANGE Camaro, 2LT RS.
Does manual vs auto make a difference?

so let say at the track i went up against an auto 2000 mustang gt,
and he won, was it the car, was it the driver, or was it the transmission, mine being manual?
StevenMarrocco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 01:53 AM   #2
All-Or-Nothing
Account Suspended

Drives: BMW 6 series Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenMarrocco View Post
and he won, was it the car, was it the driver, or was it the transmission, mine being manual?

Could be several things that helped him win not just the transmission choice.
All-Or-Nothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 01:59 AM   #3
SoTHavok

Drives: 1
good driver manual makes a difference but if u cant drive, the computer does pretty well and keeps a steady record
SoTHavok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 02:14 AM   #4
StevenMarrocco

Drives: INFERNO ORANGE Camaro, 2LT RS.
well its not that i can't drive, but this is my first car and also my first standard car, so its only been around a month of driving, and i really dont know how to drive standard to race, just to cruise.
you are right there could be serval reasons why he won, also it was no more then a 50 foot dash, had to make a right turn, he only had the lead by a few feet.
StevenMarrocco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 02:31 AM   #5
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
If you missed a shift or something, blame it on manual vs automatic. Stock for stock, you should be faster than him. Then again, there is a good chance a 10 year old Mustang at a track isn't stock. Even little things like intake, exhaust, and tune should be enough to give his car the edge.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 10:25 AM   #6
SWAT 79

Drives: 2005 Cadillac CTS
The new edge gt's are 14 second cars, and high 14 second cars if he had an auto. It would take full bolt ons to be able to compete with a camaro, especially the ls3. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you just need to learn how to drive stick better. There is no doubt that the manual camaro is faster then its auto counterpart, however it does take a lot of practice to get to that point.
SWAT 79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 10:55 AM   #7
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ

Ok, just kidding I won't ruin this thread. lol

Honestly, I agree with DG. He's not taking a 10 year old car to the track having not done any mods.

There are too many variables to count up here that we won't know.

One think I DO know, is that if two cars are set up IDENTICALLY in every way possible, and one is an auto and one is a stick. AND the auto tranny is set up for the track, you will very rarely beat him if both cars get the same launch. So he will have the advantage. But the cool thing about racing, even in an inferior car, is it's more often a 'drivers race' than some think.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:58 AM   #8
Bob Cosby

Drives: 2010 Vette
Quote:
well its not that i can't drive, but this is my first car and also my first standard car, so its only been around a month of driving, and i really dont know how to drive standard to race, just to cruise.
you are right there could be serval reasons why he won, also it was no more then a 50 foot dash, had to make a right turn, he only had the lead by a few feet.
If this is your first manual, then you will improve considerably with practice.

Practice, practice, practice. And then, when you're ready to spend money on modifications, do yourself a favor first: Practice, practice, practice. Driving the car properly will provide the single biggest performance boost - period. Bar none. And its cheap, too.
Bob Cosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 11:29 AM   #9
Napper

Drives: 2SS RS A6/ CTS-V A6 LSA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cosby View Post
If this is your first manual, then you will improve considerably with practice.

Practice, practice, practice. And then, when you're ready to spend money on modifications, do yourself a favor first: Practice, practice, practice. Driving the car properly will provide the single biggest performance boost - period. Bar none. And its cheap, too.
now when an auto has the same RWHP as a Stick....

With the new 6speeds can anyone shift as fast as the computer once its be tweaked and line pressure is increased. Yes, but not that often and not all the time.

Its like the older 4 speed with shiftkit and appropriate stall converter, gears and correct tires.

Its torque multiplication + overall gearing ( if similar or equal to the stick)

The guy driving stick can outshift the computer. Though to do so every time. again and again. I think( with appropriate mods) the auto
rwhp to rwhp is hard to beat.

My experiment with 2 GTO's kinda proved this. Though i'm an above average driver and cut a 1.7 in my M6 my stalled and DR Auto, with the same rear end ratio and less Hp cut consistent 1.6 and better 1/4 90 % of the time.

even though it had about 35 to 45 less rwhp.

Id be derelict to say computers are better....but they are faster.
So as this is a fact. Practice practice practice. Nothing more satisfying than beating the computer.

Everyone should be able to drive a stick and do it well. then if you CHOOSE to. Use an auto..for its consistancy and relatively human fast shifts. the line is blurred.

put the auto and manual on equal rwhp. and Gearing ( overall gearing). and you'll find more often than not the top ten will be dominated by auto's ( meaning more than 50 %%) thats not to say 40% can't be manuals.

Its like a lost art. And the technology for automatics is only getting better.
L99, ADM RACE CAI, TVS 2300,LG- Headers and X pipe ,catless 3 inch back w/Magnaflows , Ngk plugs,Msd wires,180 stat,Springs ( lowered 1"- looks solidly correct)Sways and endlinks,BMR trailing arms, Slotted rotors and Hawk HPS ,tuned ,Black out bowtie and custom (black)"SS" on sides /midnight rims (8psi)
2010 Raven (triple black.)CTS-v , crank pulley, Bubb CAI , AR Headers, custom catlessback. magnaflows. tune ( 9psi)
former LS7, LS2 and LS1 owner.(Zo6, GTO's, WS6)

Last edited by Napper; 07-24-2010 at 11:49 AM.
Napper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 01:55 PM   #10
KungFuHamster

Drives: Black SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAT 79 View Post
The new edge gt's are 14 second cars, and high 14 second cars if he had an auto.
in 2001 i went 14.2's in my ex wife's bone stock 2000 GT with an auto. it was stock down to the paper filter and it was my first time ever at a drag strip.
KungFuHamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 01:57 PM   #11
Sax1031

Drives: 2000 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by KungFuHamster View Post
in 2001 i went 14.2's in my ex wife's bone stock 2000 GT with an auto. it was stock down to the paper filter and it was my first time ever at a drag strip.
I squeaked out a 13.9x @ 100.xx in my bone stock 2000 manual GT. Generally the few times I ran it I went 14.0-14.3. I only ran the car about 10 times at the track though.
Sax1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 01:57 PM   #12
mrray13

Drives: 2010 1LT RS Rally Yellow
How about the fact, according to your avatar info, you are driving a v6 compared to a v8? As you get experience, you'll do better. But to stay in a GT's door with a 2LT, and no experience driving a manual racing, I'd say you did well.
Old 07-24-2010, 02:19 PM   #13
KungFuHamster

Drives: Black SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrray13 View Post
How about the fact, according to your avatar info, you are driving a v6 compared to a v8? As you get experience, you'll do better. But to stay in a GT's door with a 2LT, and no experience driving a manual racing, I'd say you did well.
yeah but the OP was driving a camaro, so that means he automatically should win
KungFuHamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 02:37 PM   #14
mrray13

Drives: 2010 1LT RS Rally Yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by KungFuHamster View Post
yeah but the OP was driving a camaro, so that means he automatically should win
Lol, I guess, it is a Camaro forum after all. Well, part of the time it is, anyway, lol.