Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 06-04-2013, 01:59 PM   #1
Supersonick

Drives: Camaro ZL1 Inferno Orange
MyLink - when an update?

Last week I went to pick-up my wife new Ford Focus 2013 Titanium.
I got really impressed by the Sync system that literally blows away the MyLink installed on my ZL1 .. voice recognition is 100 times better, it have much more options, it can connect to internet, it have apps, you can see movies..
When will be available a (software) update to our MyLink system? hopefully with more apps, hopefully with the capability of using phone navigation system (here it is not available the Nav , even as an option) etc..??
Supersonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:05 PM   #2
mr_honez
Wifey Lover

Drives: 2013 Crystal Red 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonick View Post
I got really impressed by the Sync system that literally blows away the MyLink installed on my ZL1 .. voice recognition is 100 times better, it have much more options, it can connect to internet, it have apps, you can see movies..
When will be available a (software) update to our MyLink system? hopefully with more apps, hopefully with the capability of using phone navigation system (here it is not available the Nav , even as an option) etc..??
Was wondering the same thing. I also just bought my wife a 2013 Fusion Titanium and have been playing with it. I will say I do like the Mylink 2.0 in the Impala better though, and would like to know if they will do a software update to our cars.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:20 PM   #3
malave7567

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_honez View Post
Was wondering the same thing. I also just bought my wife a 2013 Fusion Titanium and have been playing with it. I will say I do like the Mylink 2.0 in the Impala better though, and would like to know if they will do a software update to our cars.
I agree concerning Mylink 2.0. The new MyLink is much improved. Even in the latest Sonics with Mylink option, the MyLink is newer than the Camaro's, and I believe it is much nicer to use. The fact they they haven't issued anything saying we can update the Camaro's leads me to believe there was a hardware upgrade as well...
malave7567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:42 PM   #4
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
It's going to take one heck of an uipdate to get the 2012's to do all that
Old 06-04-2013, 03:19 PM   #5
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
you want that kind of features you will have to go aftermarket. you not going to make the mylink int he camaro do that with sofware. that is if you understand the difference between sofware and hardware. internet connectivity is a hardware mod. video playback is a legal issue and I don't think they will allow it.

I am actually shocked ford is allowing video playback in an oem offering for front seat viewing.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:21 PM   #6
Th3Beast

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
How about just give us a damn update to get parking lines in the rear view camera
Th3Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:23 PM   #7
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Hello Supersonick,

Your best resource for this information would be your dealership. As of right now, there is no further information on another update. However, when you check with your dealership they can ensure your software version is the most current.

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 06-04-2013, 04:07 PM   #8
Dega Man

Drives: ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by hognutz View Post
you want that kind of features you will have to go aftermarket. you not going to make the mylink int he camaro do that with sofware. that is if you understand the difference between sofware and hardware. internet connectivity is a hardware mod. video playback is a legal issue and I don't think they will allow it.

I am actually shocked ford is allowing video playback in an oem offering for front seat viewing.
Video playback is standard in many vehicles now as long as they are in Park. Hopefully Chevy will update the 2013 mylink on the Camaros.
Dega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:10 PM   #9
Supersonick

Drives: Camaro ZL1 Inferno Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by hognutz View Post

Sure I do know difference between hardware and software..I did not say I want internet connection..I may like to have a much better system in a such higher level car (than a Ford Focus). I do not understand why such attitude form your side.
Anyway videoplaback is only when car is on park.
Supersonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:23 PM   #10
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Sure I do know difference between hardware and software..I did not say I want internet connection..I may like to have a much better system in a such higher level car (than a Ford Focus). I do not understand why such attitude form your side.
Anyway videoplaback is only when car is on park.
ha ha go drive a ZR1 corvette. worst headunit ever and in 100k+ car. I don't think your going to have much luck getting GM on significat update is all.

I am not giving attitude at all I am just saying there are some things that focus does that the mylink will never do to having better hardware.

So IE your mylink is never going to do them. so if you want that you would have to ditch the mylink. this is not attitude it is reality it my come across as attitube but look at GM's history of upgrading electronics. not good. since the camaro has about 1more year in this form I would not expect much.

Look at the poor people in the C6 vette very expensive car wose electronics than almost anyother GM car. 2010-2012 camaro about the same. I don't see much upgrade to the current mylink. I see better mylink's coming down the road but chevy does not have a good track record here.

my dart has better electronics in some ways that my ZL1 but they are comparable and the cars cost 20k vs 55k. my dar is 1000X better than my Z06 ha ha. dart 20k Z06 71k

It is wierd though the sync system in the mustang I was playing with was worse than my mylink with connectivity but it was not the nav. Must a be a model to model thing.

what you pay for a car ijust don't seem to translate when it comes to a head unit quality or function. Some times you can have a six figure car with a worse head unit than a 25k car. just luck of the draw OEM wise.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned

Last edited by hognutz; 06-04-2013 at 05:21 PM.
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:25 PM   #11
SCHUSS
709 RWHP & 677 RWTQ

Drives: 13' HPE 800 ZL1..... IOM vert, M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3Beast View Post
How about just give us a damn update to get parking lines in the rear view camera
Now that would be nice. Every time I back up I think the same thing!
SCHUSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:10 PM   #12
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
Old 06-05-2013, 07:54 AM   #13
Th3Beast

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHUSS View Post
Now that would be nice. Every time I back up I think the same thing!
To me, this is damn near unacceptable. I'd say just about every other car sold that has a backup camera will give you some sort of lines on the screen when backing to get a sense of where things are. I'm not even asking to have them curve and what not like a lot of cars. Just some colored straight lines. I tend to back into a lot of parking spaces, because it's hard to judge where the front splitter is at times.

The most disappointing fact is that the 2012 MyLink had the lines, correct? So what GM ZL1 engineer guy says, "Oh new manufacturer for the head unit... yeah we don't need those lines... no one will be daily driving these cars anyways". Complete
Th3Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:44 AM   #14
Jeff65SS

Drives: 1965 Chevelle Malibu SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3Beast View Post
To me, this is damn near unacceptable. I'd say just about every other car sold that has a backup camera will give you some sort of lines on the screen when backing to get a sense of where things are. I'm not even asking to have them curve and what not like a lot of cars. Just some colored straight lines. I tend to back into a lot of parking spaces, because it's hard to judge where the front splitter is at times.

The most disappointing fact is that the 2012 MyLink had the lines, correct? So what GM ZL1 engineer guy says, "Oh new manufacturer for the head unit... yeah we don't need those lines... no one will be daily driving these cars anyways". Complete
To be completely correct, the 2012 had the screen in the rear view mirror. That one contained the lines. It is the 2013 where the screen was moved to the head unit. I agree. I want the lines as well.
Jeff65SS is offline   Reply With Quote