Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 11-12-2014, 10:07 AM   #99
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
If this does come in at 3,600 lbs, would that be a reasonable estimation of the 6th gen SS?
Old 11-12-2014, 10:50 AM   #100
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
looks like it should offer some killer performance.

That spoiler still looks awful to me, I know it has a purpose but it looks awful IMO, and I like the design of the wheels, but they don't look right on a Cadillac IMO, maybe thats because the last few V cars all had chrome
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:41 AM   #101
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
If this does come in at 3,600 lbs, would that be a reasonable estimation of the 6th gen SS?
Depends on how they achieved that weight. Lightweight materials & components usually cost a lot more than 'regular' parts. Those costs can be absorbed in a Cadillac much easier than a Chevy. On the other hand, cutting some luxury features that the ATS has & the Camaro won't could more or less even that out. Only time will tell.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:47 AM   #102
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Depends on how they achieved that weight. Lightweight materials & components usually cost a lot more than 'regular' parts. Those costs can be absorbed in a Cadillac much easier than a Chevy. On the other hand, cutting some luxury features that the ATS has & the Camaro won't could more or less even that out. Only time will tell.
I agree with DGthe3.

Cadillac probably does have more lightweight chassis components, but again also would have more features and maybe more sound deadening materials than a Camaro SS would get. In the end, my guess is another 50 - 100 lbs tops added to equal the SS weight compared to this.

Lets hope low 3,600 range is the weight of this car, as that would put the next Camaro under the Mustang, and the V6 and turbo 4 versions would only weigh 3,550 to 3,600 lbs.
Old 11-12-2014, 12:54 PM   #103
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Doesn't that defeat the purpose of platform sharing? They will sell way more Alpha based Camaros than they sell of the ATS so there shouldn't be any reason not to use lightweight components on the Camaro.
Old 11-12-2014, 01:24 PM   #104
txferrari

Drives: 2016 Z06/7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Looking good!

Definitely a V.

Not sure if I'm blind or not, but those wheels look like my Zl1 wheels.
Old 11-12-2014, 01:31 PM   #105
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
Quote:
Originally Posted by txferrari View Post
Not sure if I'm blind or not, but those wheels look like my Zl1 wheels.
Nice catch... i think you're right. They look just like what's on my 1LE. Maybe they are just testing fitment.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 11-12-2014, 01:35 PM   #106
txferrari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter View Post
Nice catch... i think you're right. They look just like what's on my 1LE. Maybe they are just testing fitment.

True. I'm not up to speed with the Cadi line and it's history, but the official pics I've seen from GM show the same ZL1 wheels. Not saying it's a bad or good thing, just noticing the design is the same as ours.
Old 11-12-2014, 01:36 PM   #107
txferrari

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo0006 View Post

from the article:
Official images of Cadillac's all-new 2016 ATS-V have made their way onto the web affording us our first look at America's answer to the BMW M4 and Mercedes C63 Coupe.

10 pictures in the gallery

See, those are our wheels. Anyhow, just pointing out what I saw.
Old 11-12-2014, 01:57 PM   #108
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
Well they have to be different somehow no Caddy owner will tolerate their wheels saying "CAMARO" on them.

Old 11-12-2014, 01:59 PM   #109
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Haven't gotten a good look but the ATS-V wheels are not ZL1 wheels. Design might be similar but they're not the same.
Old 11-12-2014, 02:40 PM   #110
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Doesn't that defeat the purpose of platform sharing? They will sell way more Alpha based Camaros than they sell of the ATS so there shouldn't be any reason not to use lightweight components on the Camaro.
Not really. Odds are they won't share a single body panel or piece of interior trim. Since they have to be different, it won't really cost them anything extra in the design & engineering.

And it doesn't really matter how many units you sell, it will not change the fact that steel is cheap, aluminum is not, and carbon fibre definitely is not.

For example, lets say a die for a particular part cost $25,000. Over the entire production run of the Camaro, it would crank out something on the order 500,000 units. Thats a tooling cost of $0.05/part. On the ATS, the total volume might only be 100,000 units (assuming its not unique to the -V). But thats still only $0.25/part. Steel costs $0.30 to $0.40 per pound last I checked. Aluminum is about triple that, but an aluminum part of equal strength to steel usually weighs about 60% of the steel part so it works out on a equal component basis to a bit less than twice as expensive. So on all but the smallest, cheapest parts material cost is going to be the driving factor in price -rather than tooling.

Some of the things that are buried a bit deeper (out of sight/out of mind), like the steering mechanism and HVAC system will probably have quite a bit of commonality between the Camaro & ATS. But parts sharing is only a portion of the cost saved in platform sharing. A lot of it comes down the the bare-bones basic engineering. The stuff that few outside of the industry give a second thought to. How do the motor mounts tie into the frame? How do we stop the roof from collapsing in a rollover? Where can we route the fluid & electrical lines? Its a lot cheaper to do that once for a small window of variance than it is to do it 4 or 5 times for 4 or 5 similar cars.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 07:10 PM   #111
txferrari

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Haven't gotten a good look but the ATS-V wheels are not ZL1 wheels. Design might be similar but they're not the same.
That's what I was getting at. Design.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:25 PM   #112
Southern Comfort
No Tags/Habitual Violator

Drives: 2012 SIM 2SS/RS & z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by txferrari View Post
See, those are our wheels. Anyhow, just pointing out what I saw.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter View Post
Well they have to be different somehow no Caddy owner will tolerate their wheels saying "CAMARO" on them.

Same style, but they look smaller than 20" to me...
Southern Comfort is offline   Reply With Quote