Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 03-05-2010, 12:19 PM   #1
Duf

Drives: Camry Hybrid
To Slick Rick and other 1SS'rs

I have been trying to decide on a 1SS versus 2SS purchase. I would actually prefer the cloth and the cost savings but I also have a high geek factor and I would really like the C&C options that only come with the 2SS.

After digging through many, many threads here I have seen many 1SS owners retrofit their cars with many of the C&C goodies, including USB, Homelink, dimming rear view mirror, Bluetooth and even potentially steering wheel controls. I'd probably enjoy having the 4 pack gauges as well.

My question is, is it really worth it to retrofit a 1SS? When you buy all the parts needed to do these upgrades and factor in varying degrees of labor costs depending on your level of technical expertise, I could easily see someone dropping $1500-$2000 to do all of it and still be missing ambient lighting, the upgraded stereo and leather.

I totally get that there is some pride in turning your 1SS into something that Chevrolet refuses to give us. I personally think it is stupid that C&C is not an option on the 1SS.

I am just thinking it out logically if I want to spend the time and money to make a 1SS have the tech features a 2SS already has.

Since you guys have already gone down that road I'd love to hear if you still would have decided to follow the same route. (1SS vs 2SS)
Duf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 12:28 PM   #2
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
Personally, I bought the 1SS because I wasn't a fan of the "pleather" seats, but I really wanted to have all of the other goodies. USB port: sure! There's some things I could do without: homelink, heated seats, 4-gauge pack (for now), dimming rear view mirror. The only thing I really wanted was the USB port, Bluetooth and possibly the steering wheel controls.

If you're really looking to have all of those things, it may be best to go with the 2SS, but if you want to get your hands "dirty" and install everything yourself (well, not everything since "we" can't get the steering wheel controls, Bluetooth, etc just yet), the 1SS is the way to go!
Old 03-05-2010, 02:03 PM   #3
HeavyD

Drives: 1SSRS RY L99
The only thing I wanted out the 2SS was the remote start. Everything else were just toys I would not use, plus I hate leather. If you can't without a USB, dimming, heated mirrors, steering wheel controls and what not, I would say you should get a 2SS. Sounds like you want most of the options that come with a 2SS.
HeavyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 02:08 PM   #4
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
if you want all the extra's you said, you should go with the 2SS, and the leather is awesome.
2010 SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 03:09 PM   #5
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
I only wanted a few features from the 2SS that the 1SS did not have, USB and 4 pack gauges. I could not justify nor afford to spend the additional 3K to get those items. My main concern was getting a V8 with the RS package.

Since I physically installed the PDIM (USB) myself, I saved on some labor costs and only needed the dealer to program the radio. The 4 pack gauges were plug and play so I was also able to install those myself. Adding those two items to my 1SS cost me less than 3K.

If you only want one or two features from the 2SS (that are currently available as an add on to the 1SS) then I think the retrofitting the 1SS makes sense. On the other hand, as you mentioned, retrofitting the 1SS can get expensive as you add 2SS features.

I think if there's more than 3 things from the 2SS that you want then I would go with the 2SS.

Quote:
I personally think it is stupid that C&C is not an option on the 1SS.
Same here
Old 03-05-2010, 04:41 PM   #6
EDGE_

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS SIM L99
Personally if I had to do it again, I would stick with the 1SS. I really enjoyed getting the mods that I wanted installed afterward.

If you really must have the built in Telephone Bluetooth, the Ambient Lightning or the heated seats then you are probably better off with the 2SS or if you want most of them done then stick with the 2SS. Otherwise go with the 1SS and install the upgrades at your leisure. Do them one at a time and it is a little like getting your new car all over again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duf View Post
I personally think it is stupid that C&C is not an option on the 1SS.
Actually I thought it was brilliant of GM not to include the C&C package in the 1SS because I am sure it caused a lot of people to just go ahead and upgrade to the 2SS package. They made a lot of additional revenue from that decision and I can think of no other reason why they would have done it (clever bastards )
EDGE_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:00 PM   #7
Duf

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDGE_ View Post
Personally if I had to do it again, I would stick with the 1SS. I really enjoyed getting the mods that I wanted installed afterward.

If you really must have the built in Telephone Bluetooth, the Ambient Lightning or the heated seats then you are probably better off with the 2SS or if you want most of them done then stick with the 2SS. Otherwise go with the 1SS and install the upgrades at your leisure. Do them one at a time and it is a little like getting your new car all over again.

Actually I thought it was brilliant of GM not to include the C&C package in the 1SS because I am sure it caused a lot of people to just go ahead and upgrade to the 2SS package. They made a lot of additional revenue from that decision and I can think of no other reason why they would have done it (clever bastards )
Nah if that was the case, why did they make it an option on the LT line? Makes no sense at all IMO.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:41 PM   #8
EDGE_

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS SIM L99
Quote:
Nah if that was the case, why did they make it an option on the LT line? Makes no sense at all IMO.
That actually corroborates my point, they said it themselves in their workbook, the LS/LT model focus "...will present an opportunity to attract new customers..." so if they don't give these customers what they want they will move on to another car.

However the SS model focus - "Core Camaro Enthusiasts will be the target for the SS Model. These customers are very loyal to Camaro....They will seek out Camaro." Thus by their rational, they knew that the customers buying an SS would buy a Camaro anyway, basically a captured audience. Thus my logic is that this was a method used to upsell.

In fact, ask yourself the same question in a different light, why did they offer C&C in the 1LT as a option and not the 1SS? We all know it would have been an easy option to add, why leave this money on the table? Unless of course they were aiming for a bigger payout...the 1SS to 2SS upgrade.

Of course this is all conjecture on my part but if the evidence fits...
EDGE_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:45 PM   #9
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
If you want the 1SS cloth, go that route. Almost everything else can be done in the aftermarket. There are a lot of dealers and specialty shops with the capacity to install the PDIM, Bluetooth, and other nice features. Add to that a custom audio setup and you're practically driving a 2SS.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 01:30 AM   #10
THUMPER20X
GM fix my PAINT U suck!

Drives: 2010 Black 1SS/RS 6Spd
I have no regrets with my 1SS.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:48 AM   #11
SicSix6
The Demon Photographer

Drives: 2010 1SS IOM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by slick rick View Post
I only wanted a few features from the 2SS that the 1SS did not have, USB and 4 pack gauges. I could not justify nor afford to spend the additional 3K to get those items. My main concern was getting a V8 with the RS package.

Since I physically installed the PDIM (USB) myself, I saved on some labor costs and only needed the dealer to program the radio. The 4 pack gauges were plug and play so I was also able to install those myself. Adding those two items to my 1SS cost me less than 3K.

If you only want one or two features from the 2SS (that are currently available as an add on to the 1SS) then I think the retrofitting the 1SS makes sense. On the other hand, as you mentioned, retrofitting the 1SS can get expensive as you add 2SS features.

I think if there's more than 3 things from the 2SS that you want then I would go with the 2SS.

Same here
The items you desire can easily be bought through venders on here and Gmpartsdirect for a reasonable price. I bought and installed the gauges and I still might do the PDIM so I can take advantage of the Bluetooth tech.

1SS IOM LS3, GM 4-pack guages, SLP SS Front Emblem, Roto-Fab CAI, Solo Performance Mach X Exhaust, Barton Industries Short Throw Shifter
SicSix6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 09:26 AM   #12
first one

Drives: SSRS - black, GFX, SSX wheels
Quote:
My question is, is it really worth it to retrofit a 1SS? When you buy all the parts needed to do these upgrades and factor in varying degrees of labor costs depending on your level of technical expertise, I could easily see someone dropping $1500-$2000 to do all of it and still be missing ambient lighting, the upgraded stereo and leather.

I have a 1SS and have the upgraded Boston Accoustic stereo.

Quote:
I totally get that there is some pride in turning your 1SS into something that Chevrolet refuses to give us. I personally think it is stupid that C&C is not an option on the 1SS.

++++1
first one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 10:11 AM   #13
Duf

Quote:
Originally Posted by SicSix6 View Post
The items you desire can easily be bought through venders on here and Gmpartsdirect for a reasonable price. I bought and installed the gauges and I still might do the PDIM so I can take advantage of the Bluetooth tech.
Yea I know most of it can be bought after the fact. My point was if you want most of the tech goodies like I do you aren't saving that much depending on how much you install yourself. (and you still don't have leather, included stereo upgrade, etc..) Plus DIY's always run the risk of inadvertently breaking stuff along the way as opposed to having everything in place from the factory.

If you are going to pay a third party installer to do most of the work your costs will escalate quickly.

It seems that if you only want one or two things that the 2SS offers then a 1SS and some elbow grease makes sense.

I am debating if I want to wait until the 2011's are announced to see if Chevy engages the brain and makes C&C an option on the 1SS.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:15 AM   #14
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Yea I know most of it can be bought after the fact. My point was if you want most of the tech goodies like I do you aren't saving that much depending on how much you install yourself. (and you still don't have leather, included stereo upgrade, etc..) Plus DIY's always run the risk of inadvertently breaking stuff along the way as opposed to having everything in place from the factory.

If you are going to pay a third party installer to do most of the work your costs will escalate quickly.

It seems that if you only want one or two things that the 2SS offers then a 1SS and some elbow grease makes sense.

I am debating if I want to wait until the 2011's are announced to see if Chevy engages the brain and makes C&C an option on the 1SS.
Of course, the initial cost is the hardest part for most buyers. Buying later, even if it costs a little more, makes it easier on the monthly payments. It gives you a chance to save up for it.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote