Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications

Old 06-27-2012, 12:32 PM   #15
gbosh

Drives: 2012 ZL1 Camaro
When someone thinks I'm wrong please look into the downforce as drag! Lift is generated from the hood and roof of the car,so the hood causes tubulance to defeat this effect and the pan is also raked at an angle to cause downforce,take the pan off and put a different hood on and see what happens,then you can say I'm full of it! What happens when you speed up air? Does the pressure decrease or increase? Look it up and reply back and lets see who is correct.
gbosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:34 PM   #16
mike@newera

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
Just so I'm clear:

I haven't noticed preliminary base line runs, but I suspect you're A6 was running around 115-117. After tuning, this intake picked-up from 6-8 MPH? I'm not questions - I'm only asking for clarification

Thanks
Unfortunately, we did not run this ZL1 down the track prior to the New Era CAI and tuning, but we have been seeing trap speeds as you mentioned with stock A6 ZL1's (115-117mph), so that is a general assumption of a 5-7 mph increase in 1/4 mile trap speed, yes. And, trap speed is a better definition of acceleration and horsepower than ET.
mike@newera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:17 PM   #17
RoketRdr

Drives: 2010 Duramax; 2012 CTS-V Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerouSS View Post
You're being a bit harsh. Actually both of you are right. The hood extractor prevents unwanted lift from air entering and building up under the hood which reduces lift and it also aids in cooling. The belly pans reduce turbulence under the car without negatively affecting cooling. Also, downforce is created by aerodynamic drag (friction) and the weight of a car. If the rear spoiler is creating 150 lbs of downforce at speeds above 150 MPH, it is doing this by causing friction as the car moves through the air.
The harshness was because he was speaking with arrogance and if he is an authority on the subject matter and used exclamation points to force his view/opinion.
Downforce is not created by drag or friction and is actually the opposite. Its generated by creating a lower pressure area (differential) which reduces drag and friction. This is why an airplane wing will fly or any other surface that has a pressure differential will change directions. It's also the reason why race cars are so low to the ground because it reduces drag which creates downforce and in turn generates more speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbosh View Post
When someone thinks I'm wrong please look into the downforce as drag! Lift is generated from the hood and roof of the car,so the hood causes tubulance to defeat this effect and the pan is also raked at an angle to cause downforce,take the pan off and put a different hood on and see what happens,then you can say I'm full of it! What happens when you speed up air? Does the pressure decrease or increase? Look it up and reply back and lets see who is correct.
I don't think you're wrong I know you are. I'm an an Engineer by trade with 20 years experience so I'm well versed on the laws of physics and don't need to go "look into" what I've spent my entire career practicing. My clients are very happy with my knowledge and my work. You don't understand the correlation between downforce, lift and drag and you're actually viewing them backwards. The reduction of drag/friction is what generates lift due to the low pressure area and differential that's created (increased AND decreased airspeed/pressure on opposing planes). Once again...Bournoulli's law. And for every actions there's an equal and opposite reaction. What you're trying to preach not only defies the law of physics but also contradicts what every race team on the planet that's seeking more speed already knows and designed their cars around. Yes...you're full of it. Keep yelling and trying to force your opinion with exclamation points and see how far it gets ya. Now back to the regularity scheduled discussion on the New Era CAI which is the topic of discussion for this thread.

KDI/New Era...will there be a possibility of this unit being offered CF? And does this unit have a 4" bore?
RoketRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:26 PM   #18
mike@newera

3.9 ID on the tubing used for construction, each welded joint is internally hand blended to match. Air filter supports 1000 hp. Not available in carbon fiber, sorry.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:41 PM   #19
RoketRdr

Drives: 2010 Duramax; 2012 CTS-V Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@newera View Post
3.9 ID on the tubing used for construction, each welded joint is internally hand blended to match. Air filter supports 1000 hp. Not available in carbon fiber, sorry.
Thank you sir. 3.9" is plenty fine. Was just curious on the CF. The matte black looks good.
RoketRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:02 PM   #20
1st Gen Forever
ZL1 #140

Drives: Camaros: 68 SS, 10 2SS/RS, 12 ZL1
The black on the CAI does look good, it matches the top of the intercooler.
1st Gen Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:21 PM   #21
mike@newera

Thanks, it is actually a wrinkle black exact match to the top of the blower.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:10 AM   #22
adamgl

Drives: '98 Camaro Z28, '06 Z06
Looks good, any installed pics?
'06 Z06 2LZ, Cam, P/P/M Heads, FAST Intake/TB, ARH, CAI, HP Clutch/FW, C5 Axles,
Pfadt Coilovers/Poly Bushings, Carbon Fiber: Everything, lol. HID's, 360 Forged Spec 5's/Invo's, Custom Interior. 550 RWHP
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235911
adamgl is offline   Reply With Quote