Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-23-2012, 11:30 AM   #43
Agarc
Dr.Frankenstein

Drives: 15gt
didnt they stop making these a while back...
Old 02-23-2012, 01:03 PM   #44
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Yikes. Are there any tests you can do to see if it truly is stainless? I don't know much about metals, but maybe there is a chemical test or something...?

They would be in serious trouble if they ended up being mild steel. What grade do they advertise? 304?
Yes they are supposedly 304.

This is a qoute from one of the vendors selling them on ebay

"Beautifully Constructed With High Quality SUS-T304 Stainless Steel For Best Durability.
Mirror Polished Finishing."
Old 02-23-2012, 01:10 PM   #45
OHIO SPEED

Drives: 2010 1LT v6 Twin Turbo
headers

i have the stainless works long tube with high-flow cats. couldn't be happier! no rust, no problems after 2-1/2 years.
OHIO SPEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:13 PM   #46
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Time to do a little invetigation using the famous internet. I came up with this so far.

3. Can stainless steel rust? Why? (I thought stainless did not rust!)
Answer: Stainless does not "rust" as you think of regular steel rusting with a red oxide on the surface that flakes off. If you see red rust it is probably due to some iron particles that have contaminated the surface of the stainless steel and it is these iron particles that are rusting. Look at the source of the rusting and see if you can remove it from the surface. If the iron is embedded in the surface, you can try a solution of 10% nitric and 2% hydrofluoric acid at room temperature or slightly heated. Wash area well with lots and lots of water after use. Commercially available "pickling paste" can also be used.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:18 PM   #47
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtcat600man View Post
Time to do a little invetigation using the famous internet. I came up with this so far.

3. Can stainless steel rust? Why? (I thought stainless did not rust!)
Answer: Stainless does not "rust" as you think of regular steel rusting with a red oxide on the surface that flakes off. If you see red rust it is probably due to some iron particles that have contaminated the surface of the stainless steel and it is these iron particles that are rusting. Look at the source of the rusting and see if you can remove it from the surface. If the iron is embedded in the surface, you can try a solution of 10% nitric and 2% hydrofluoric acid at room temperature or slightly heated. Wash area well with lots and lots of water after use. Commercially available "pickling paste" can also be used.
Hmm interesting. Well, I know we use this stuff to decon paint, wheels, windows etc in the detailing world. It'll pull the iron out. I don't think I've ever tried it on stainless, but if it doesn't hurt aluminum I would think you'd be ok.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:22 PM   #48
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Quote:
Hmm interesting. Well, I know we use this stuff to decon paint, wheels, windows etc in the detailing world. It'll pull the iron out. I don't think I've ever tried it on stainless, but if it doesn't hurt aluminum I would think you'd be ok.

Thanks for the tip. Looks like I will be getting a bottle of this and giving it a try soon.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:34 PM   #49
Bill F

Drives: 2011 CGM 2LT/RS 2005 Silverado Z71
Quote:
Yikes. Are there any tests you can do to see if it truly is stainless? I don't know much about metals, but maybe there is a chemical test or something...?

They would be in serious trouble if they ended up being mild steel. What grade do they advertise? 304?
I don't think a magnet will stick to stainless steel. Could be wrong though.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:24 PM   #50
HopeRidesAlone

Drives: 2010 Camaro Black 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill F View Post
I don't think a magnet will stick to stainless steel. Could be wrong though.
True but it depends on the grade of SS ill have to try it though

2010 Black 2SS/RS - Stainless powers 1 7/8 LT headers, cold air inductions cai, Tuned by dynosteve, Feesler side skirt, Feesler Spoiler, Feesler carbon fiber bowties, H&R Lowering Springs.
HopeRidesAlone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:12 PM   #51
nikos30
HT5 EastSide

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT
I also have the loudmouth 1 and a G5CR intake. On youtube, there is only one video of a loudmouth 1 and longtube headers and its I cant tell the difference. Is there anybody that can upload somethin for me of a loudmouth 1 + longtube headers for a v6? Im kinda a noob with this, I have a few questions.
1. Aren't long tube headers without cats illegal? I live in NJ...
2. Which long tube headers with cats give the most hp/tq gain?
3. What are all the differences between 1-3/4 and 1-5/8 sizes?
I've been tryin to ask around for a while and I dont get many answers lol thank you so much in advance.
Im currently looking at part number: CAV6SHWC. Let me know what you guys think of that.
Id get a trifecta tune sometime after that too..
nikos30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:20 PM   #52
nikos30
HT5 EastSide

JBAGREG that vid was an ss :( Im so pissed ill never get that sound though cause that is freakin awesome.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:33 PM   #53
v6needluv2

Drives: 2011 Victory Red LS
I was busy all this week so I'm just checking back on this thread now, took me 30min to go through all the posts. After reading everything I think I've decided on Stainless Works. They have a good price without breaking the bank. I would love to get ARH but those are far to expensive for me.

I'll be ordering them in a few weeks when I get enough to order the headers along with the Trifecta tune. Thanks for all of your input guys
v6needluv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:13 PM   #54
nikos30
HT5 EastSide

lmk

Quote:
Originally Posted by v6needluv2 View Post
I was busy all this week so I'm just checking back on this thread now, took me 30min to go through all the posts. After reading everything I think I've decided on Stainless Works. They have a good price without breaking the bank. I would love to get ARH but those are far to expensive for me.

I'll be ordering them in a few weeks when I get enough to order the headers along with the Trifecta tune. Thanks for all of your input guys
Please let me know how it goes and make me some 1080p vids...please. Im so stuck in what to get. You might be the only one that wil have the stainless works and the loudmouth one. let me know ASAP!
Old 02-26-2012, 10:18 PM   #55
v6needluv2

Drives: 2011 Victory Red LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos30 View Post
Please let me know how it goes and make me some 1080p vids...please. Im so stuck in what to get. You might be the only one that wil have the stainless works and the loudmouth one. let me know ASAP!
I'll try and let you know when I can. I probably wont have them on the car until beginning or mid april, depending on how much I work. I'm sorry in advance if I forget to make a video for you I can be a little forgetful
v6needluv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:21 PM   #56
nikos30
HT5 EastSide

Quote:
Originally Posted by v6needluv2 View Post
I'll try and let you know when I can. I probably wont have them on the car until beginning or mid april, depending on how much I work. I'm sorry in advance if I forget to make a video for you I can be a little forgetful
You better not! You are my test dumby to see if it turns out great or not lmao TY