Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-27-2012, 09:38 AM   #1
FaytalsCamaro
Distributor of Liquor

Drives: My Wife Crazy
About Shorty Headers

Which part of the GM warranty do these void? I Know these USUALLY dont throw a CEL so no tune is needed right away. Wanting to do Shortys with HFCs.
FaytalsCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:53 AM   #2
Bill F

Drives: 2011 CGM 2LT/RS 2005 Silverado Z71
I'm not an authority on the subject, but I think it will void everything in the exhaust system from the exhaust manifolds (which are replaced by the headers) all the way back to the tips. But waranty voiding is a touchy item. Technicaly, the waranty is only voided if the service dept. determines the mod caused the malfunction. But many service departments are scared of mods because they don't understand them, so they are quick to push the "VOID" button on anything that is non-standard.

I'm kinda curious about this as well because I am waiting for my shorties to be delivered/installed hopefully this week.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:54 AM   #3
RANGERGOD
IDBZ M.C.

Drives: 12' IOM, 2SS, LS3
Shorties do not offer a lot for the price...IMO.

Shorties are a bolt on, like long tubes, it is really at the discretion of your dealer. They have to directly tie whatever is broken directly to the mod to justify not covering it.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:59 AM   #4
FaytalsCamaro
Distributor of Liquor

Drives: My Wife Crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGERGOD View Post

Shorties are a bolt on, like long tubes, it is really at the discretion of your dealer. They have to directly tie whatever is broken directly to the mod to justify not covering it.
Completely understood. But unfortunately LTs would attribute to voiding the entire warranty completely considering they throw a CEL and i would have to get a tune since that would bother me to no end. And from what i hear. Shorties sound better on a v6 then LTs. Even if the gains are more for the LT
FaytalsCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:03 AM   #5
bee sting

Drives: 1997 30th Ann. Z28 & 2010 2LT RS
Quote:

Well that's your opinion .. I have them and I gained HP ( Dyno'd ) not as much as LT true but cost less ..No Cels and No tune needed . Plus the JBA shorty's are a little longer and made my MRT.2 sound a deeper tone .

And lastly this is a V6 thread and looks like you drive a SS unless I'm mistaken. IMO...
Old 02-27-2012, 10:07 AM   #6
RANGERGOD
IDBZ M.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee sting View Post
Well that's your opinion .. I have them and I gained HP ( Dyno'd ) not as much as LT true but cost less ..No Cels and No tune needed . Plus the JBA shorty's are a little longer and made myMRT.2 sound a deeper tone .

And lastly this is a V6 thread as looks like you drive a SS unless I'm mistaken.
Touchy! Lol

I know it's a V6 thread, it was in the new post area and I responded.

I stated my opinion. What kind of HP gains did you see? Around 10?

Not enough to feel. I do admit, if more sound is what you are looking for, go for it. As long as you are happy.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:17 AM   #7
bee sting

Drives: 1997 30th Ann. Z28 & 2010 2LT RS
Touchy?? No not at all . Just how can you say what is worth it when you never tried it ? And yes it was 10 HP , but I'm very please with the shorty setup . Did everything I expected them to do and more .
Old 02-27-2012, 10:20 AM   #8
Bill F

Drives: 2011 CGM 2LT/RS 2005 Silverado Z71
Roughly $350 for 10 hp = $35/hp for shorties.

Roughly $1000 for 25 hp = $40/hp + the cost of tune for Long tubes.

Guess it depends on what you want to spend your money on. Thanks for your input.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:43 AM   #9
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
Quote:
Touchy! Lol

I know it's a V6 thread, it was in the new post area and I responded.

I stated my opinion. What kind of HP gains did you see? Around 10?

Not enough to feel. I do admit, if more sound is what you are looking for, go for it. As long as you are happy.
I believe shorty's have received the "short" end of the stick in these comparison's with long tubes.

The short have never had the benefit of high flow cats combined with them.
The JBA's are longer then the other short brands and combined with hi-flo's I'm sure you'd see > 10hp gain.
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:46 AM   #10
RANGERGOD
IDBZ M.C.

Cool.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:53 AM   #11
KalCorp
Space Coast Camaros

Drives: 2012 Camaro Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaytalsCamaro View Post
But unfortunately LTs would attribute to voiding the entire warranty completely considering they throw a CEL
I did ask my Dealer about getting Headers. Since GM does not make any we looked at the BBK LT's.

They gave me a price with them installed and GM tuned. and nothing about losing my warranty. Going to wait since i don't know if i want TT or a SC.
KalCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:07 PM   #12
JohnnyComeLately

Drives: 2010 SS/RS
Keep in mind headers are not a single mod. Meaning, if you're all stock you're not really helping by JUST doing headers. You do headers when you plan to stuff more air in (CAI, blower, etc) and you plan to improve getting the air out (cats, cat back, larger OD pipes, etc). 10 hp "rating" is disingenuous because YMMV with your mod combination.

I plan to do shorties because I plan to stay 100% legal in California. I just learned JBA got their EO so my order isn't too far out.