Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 05-19-2015, 02:42 PM   #1
layjar12

Drives: 2013 SS 1LE
Stainless Power headers w/ off roads pipes

Got them installed today and holy crap! I'm not sure what I expected but they are stupid loud at WOT. I love load and obnoxious but it is borderline embarrassing! Stainless power 1 7/8" headers, off road pipes and NPP stock exhaust with fuse pulled. It does get a little ear piercing at WOT, I guess i was not expecting that with mufflers. Need to give it some time as I have only drivin it a mile or so but I'm afraid to get on it in town, not sure what it will do.
I might have to figure something else out sound like I would expect it would with no mufflers on it but it does have mufflers on it. Might try to put the fuse back in and see what that does. Anyone else have this experience?
layjar12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 02:46 PM   #2
mbowen89

Drives: 2015 CRT 2SS/RS 1LE
If you did the fuse pull, then the exhaust flow is not being diverted into the mufflers at all, it basically is a straight pipe, from what I understand.

One thing I did is wire up a 3 way switch for my NPP so I can keep it open, closed, or factory.

I can't wait to get headers and high flow cats... are you describing it as obnoxious only at WOT or even idle and stuff? It's that loud even inside while driving?
mbowen89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 03:08 PM   #3
layjar12

Ive only driven a mile or so, let me drive home tonight and report back. Its sounds bad ass at idle and even up to like 4-5rmp but WOT it is absurd! I like load but crap. I guess its not the loud that I do not like it just looses that deep muscle car rumble and gets a bit sharp and raspy. I am hoping putting the fise back in helps. At idle it sounds great! I love the STainless Power I got mine from Apex, save some money and get these you will not regret it. Will report back and try to get some sound clips.
Old 05-19-2015, 06:19 PM   #4
BeMe

Drives: '14 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbowen89 View Post
One thing I did is wire up a 3 way switch for my NPP so I can keep it open, closed, or factory.

I can't wait to get headers and high flow cats... are you describing it as obnoxious only at WOT or even idle and stuff? It's that loud even inside while driving?
How did you wire up the switch?

I just had Kooks 1 7/8" longtubes and high flow cats installed this weekend. It's loud, but I wouldn't say it's anywhere near obnoxious. I'm still in the honeymoon phase though. I haven't pulled the fuse (at WOT, it shouldn't matter). I'm also running cats, not off-road pipes, but if you look at the kooks high flow cats, there's not much to them.
BeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 06:36 PM   #5
14Black1LESS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Cant wait to get headers for mine. Did you use O2 sims since they are offroad? I had to use them on my '02 Vette when I put offroad headers on it but Im not sure if things have changed since then.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:28 PM   #6
summit1le

Drives: 15 Lexus RCF, 17 Vette Grand Sport
I have stainless works no cats and npp on switch. I to battled internally with whether it sounded great or obnoxious. I final consensus after having it for a year. Love it!! Let it grow on you
2013 Summit 1SS 1LE w/NPP, SW 1 7/8" Long Tube Headers, CAI Intake, Ported TB, Cammotion 224/232 113 LSA, BTR Valvetrain, Melling Oil Pump, 468 HP 423, Apex Catch Can, Tank Plates, RPM 4 Point Roll Bar with SCCA/NASA Cross Brace, Schroth 6 Point Han's Harness, OMP WRC Front Seats, F.M.T Trailing Arms, F.M.T Solid Aluminum Subframe Bushings, Moreno Motorsports Camber Plates, BMR Bushings Front and Rear, Essex/AP Racing Radi-Cal Endurance Front Brakes, Quantum Brake Cooling Ducts, ZL1 Rockers, ZL1 Air Deflectors, Heritage Grill, Pfadt Springs.
summit1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 08:31 PM   #7
Mark T
American Gold Whisperer

Drives: 2014 White 1LE 2SS/RS/NPP/Rec/Nav
When my warranty expires, headers HFCs, and a tune may have to be done.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:46 PM   #8
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T View Post
When my warranty expires, headers HFCs, and a tune may have to be done.

Just do it

It's worth it

Ryan
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 09:00 PM   #9
mbowen89

Drives: 2015 CRT 2SS/RS 1LE
I just passed 1000 miles on the car with one track day under my belt and no issues with the car. I'm about ready to say screw it and get headers, cats, and tune... When the wife let's me of course!

Do you other guys think it sounds raspy at WOT like he said?
mbowen89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 05:16 AM   #10
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
Stainless Power headers w/ off roads pipes

I have cats

Video is with the convertible top down

http://youtu.be/mTSPbcIU8Xw

Ryan
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 06:39 AM   #11
skidawgz

Drives: 2004 Mustang v6 w/m112
I put LT headers and Borla S-type truly divorced on my Mustang and I was also embarassed. It was nasty down low, and you could hear me coming 0.5 to 1 mile away. I added an H-pipe and that quieted it down significantly, but that may not be the solution for all engines.

The good news, it stopped me from speeding (ever) because I knew any cop could hear me coming.
skidawgz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 08:41 AM   #12
layjar12

After driving it I am starting to like it but I do think I will add a borla muffler to just take the sharpness at WOT down a bit. Sounds like a beast at idle, will be better after Friday when the GPI guys get thru with it. Get headers, cam and a tune and just do not go to a dealership that has dicks as service advisors. Gwatney Performance Innovations is a branch of Gwatney Chevrolet in Jacksonville, AR and they specialize in the LS platform, they have but out some beasts! I asked them about warranty and they said that they look for reasons to fix a problem under warranty versus trying to find a way out of a warranty repair. They stated that they send in warranty bills all the time on cars that mods done as long as the mod did not cause the problem.

https://youtu.be/cerFflapwsI

Not a real good video but its what I got.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:45 AM   #13
layjar12

Im going to Cerakote the stainless tips black and find someone to just put a borla muffler on there and see what that does.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:28 PM   #14
1LeSS

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS VR 1LE
Did the same as the OP with Stainless Power headers, cat and NPP. I do have the mild to wild switch. It was fun for the first while but then it got obnoxious. I took out the "H" pipe in the system and put in a Magnaflow resonated "X" and now the system sounds quality. In town, I drive with the NPP in open mode cause I like the rumble and when I get on the hwy, I close the system and it gets rid of the drone. Very nice system.
BC Racing coil-overs, 32ml rear sway bar, Solid cradle bushing kit, Steel jacket radius rod bushes, JPSS caster bolt, Bo White TB, Granitelli HP coils, Apex Catchcan, Vortech V7 Ysi Supercharger, LSX B-15 engine, custom spec cam, and other stuff.
1LeSS is offline   Reply With Quote