Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 01-04-2017, 01:36 PM   #1
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
Rear shock replacement - R & R advice

I have some new 1LE rear shocks on the way. The install instructions say I need a spring compressor to relieve pressure on the top nut before removing it. I have one, but wondering if it is really needed and if I can just slowly unscrew the nut. Can anyone comment?
Old 01-04-2017, 02:33 PM   #2
Davidd_SS

Drives: LSX FTW
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakespeak View Post
I have some new 1LE rear shocks on the way. The install instructions say I need a spring compressor to relieve pressure on the top nut before removing it. I have one, but wondering if it is really needed and if I can just slowly unscrew the nut. Can anyone comment?
You shouldn't need a spring compressor. just some weight on the strut to be able to insert the nut.
Davidd_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:48 PM   #3
LCPLPunk
USA-1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
Are you getting new 1LE front struts as well? Or do you already have them?

R2C CAI / Apex Scoop / VMAX Ported TB / Speed Engineering LTHs / X-pipe / GPI port/rod-mod intake manifold / Circle D 3200 278mm Converter / 3.91 gears / DynoSteve tuned / 1LE Shocks/Struts/Toe Links / ZL1 Rear Sway Bar / Z/28 Trailing arms / Prothane Radius Arm & Subframe Bushings / BMR UCA Bracket, Steering rack bushing / B&M Tranny Cooler / RX Catch Can / Jannetty Tranny Dipstick / 2012+ Heater Hose / 2013+ Rearview Mirror / Fuel rail flip / Drake shifter / Oil Cooler Delete
LCPLPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 11:20 AM   #4
littlefielc

Drives: 2013 convertible Hot Wheels
No way I could have installed the Koni shocks on my 2013 2LT without a spring compressor. I've seen the videos that show otherwise, didn't apply to me.
littlefielc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 12:07 PM   #5
terry_b

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Send a message via MSN to terry_b
First of all, I don't think 1LE rear shocks are any different from normal SS shocks. The front struts are the monotube struts specific to the 1LE but I don't know about the rears.

Second, I've swapped out shocks using the same OEM spring. You *shouldn't* need a spring compressor, as I did 2-3 shock/strut replacements without one. But to get the nut started back on the strut you will need to be pretty good at pressing down the spring and threading the nut on carefully at the same time. It can be done, but it's a tricky setup.
Old 01-06-2017, 05:24 PM   #6
LCPLPunk
USA-1

terry, GM Parts Direct shows different part numbers for rear 1LE shocks and SS shocks..

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/auto-pa...omponents-scat

R2C CAI / Apex Scoop / VMAX Ported TB / Speed Engineering LTHs / X-pipe / GPI port/rod-mod intake manifold / Circle D 3200 278mm Converter / 3.91 gears / DynoSteve tuned / 1LE Shocks/Struts/Toe Links / ZL1 Rear Sway Bar / Z/28 Trailing arms / Prothane Radius Arm & Subframe Bushings / BMR UCA Bracket, Steering rack bushing / B&M Tranny Cooler / RX Catch Can / Jannetty Tranny Dipstick / 2012+ Heater Hose / 2013+ Rearview Mirror / Fuel rail flip / Drake shifter / Oil Cooler Delete
Old 01-06-2017, 08:48 PM   #7
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Yes the rear shocks are different the 1LE shocks are stiffer compared to SS shocks.
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 08:09 AM   #8
terry_b

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Send a message via MSN to terry_b
You're right.. my mistake - it's the springs that are exactly the same as the regular SS springs.

At any rate, what I said still holds true. No spring compressor required, but be careful as you loosen the nut. I laid them down and made sure it wasn't pointed at anything important. there's not a lot of tension there but there's a little
Old 01-07-2017, 12:34 PM   #9
wakespeak

Thanks for the input guys. Going to try look for my spring compressor, but good to know it can be done without it.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:21 AM   #10
wakespeak

Update after install -

You do not need spring compressors. There is a slight pop when you remove the nut, so don't point it at anything. When reassembling, you can stand up the assembly, then push down some on the top mount to get the nut started.

I had to unbolt the swaybar endlinks, the shock bolts, and the bolt holding the lower control arm to the hub. The lower control arm can be then pulled away with enough clearance to remove the shock assembly. (Leave the control arm bolted to the cradle).

The instructions say to torque down the shock bolts "at trim height" so as not to twist the lower shock bushing once loaded. The control arm to hub did not have that restriction.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:44 AM   #11
LCPLPunk
USA-1

Thanks for the review, sounds too easy honestly. I hate having to use spring compressors.

What is 'trim height'?

Old 01-19-2017, 12:56 PM   #12
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Ride height
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 03:01 PM   #13
LCPLPunk
USA-1

Well crap. When I rebolted the shocks after doing the subframe bushings I definitely didn't tighten them at ride height. :P