Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 08-20-2008, 08:41 PM   #1
Rob@WretchedMS

Drives: His Wife Crazy
Zeta Suspension Drawings

G8 Suspension Drawings

Front Strut Mount Assembled

Left Front Suspension from Behind

Right Rear Suspension from Front

Rear Strut Assembled

Rear Strut Parts
Rob@WretchedMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 09:39 PM   #2
gunslinger

Drives: 1998 Z28 M6
More!!! Please!!

These help quite a bit.

Now I can start picking out parts for my 5th Gen.

To me, suspension first, then power (unless I get a Z28)...

EDIT: Is there a front upper A-arm on the Zeta, and where does the tie-rod(for steering) attach?
gunslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 11:10 PM   #3
Silverghost

Drives: Z28
Take a look at their web site, they have pictures of the camaro suspension. My friend has Pedders full suspension on his goat...... they make some bad arss stuff.

http://forums.peddersusa.com/showthread.php?t=404

www.rivercityperformance.com
Silverghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 11:21 PM   #4
Rob@WretchedMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post
More!!! Please!!
These help quite a bit.
Now I can start picking out parts for my 5th Gen.
To me, suspension first, then power (unless I get a Z28)...
EDIT: Is there a front upper A-arm on the Zeta, and where does the tie-rod(for steering) attach?
no upper control arms,
Tie rods connect to the knuckle in front of the strut
Old 08-24-2008, 03:09 PM   #5
gunslinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@WretchedMS View Post
no upper control arms,
Tie rods connect to the knuckle in front of the strut
So, was the purpose of the upper control arm to bear the load from the wheels, or was it just to align the shock in correct direction?

Also, how does Zeta II get away with no upper control arm, there has to be a different supporting/alignment piece...
Old 08-24-2008, 03:25 PM   #6
Rob@WretchedMS

The upper strut mount is the load carrying part of the suspension, the radius rod and lower control arm are not load carrying. (Load Carrying=holds the car up) The strut is a structural part on these.
Old 08-30-2008, 03:46 PM   #7
ckellyme3

Drives: 1986 IROC 406 stroker
Do you know if i will have to replace the rear axle/ transmission if im running about 550HP?? I've been trying to find this out and someone directed me here.

My scheme

ckellyme3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 08:46 PM   #8
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckellyme3 View Post
Do you know if i will have to replace the rear axle/ transmission if im running about 550HP?? I've been trying to find this out and someone directed me here.
Good question, throw me the keys and we'll find out
Old 08-30-2008, 10:05 PM   #9
Rob@WretchedMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckellyme3 View Post
550 at the crank or the wheels?
Auto or stick?

550 at the wheels with an Auto will probably be ok,

550 at the crank with a stick, not so much.

With that said, until we have a chance to beat on them we won't have a definitive answer

Pete's G8 is approaching those numbers with a stock driveline, and no problems.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:12 PM   #10
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Thanks Rob.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 01:44 PM   #11
ckellyme3

Drives: 1986 IROC 406 stroker
Yeah im planning on 550 at the crank through a stick. You see i really dont want to replace the badass rear suspension unless i could get basically the same axle just more beefed up.

My scheme

ckellyme3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 06:24 AM   #12
spd98

Drives: had a goat
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post
So, was the purpose of the upper control arm to bear the load from the wheels, or was it just to align the shock in correct direction?

Also, how does Zeta II get away with no upper control arm, there has to be a different supporting/alignment piece...
It depends on the suspension. Zeta doesn't use an upper a arm either. The difference in a strut and shock is the strut is a load carring component while a shock is just a dampner. Your suspension will work without shocks (though you'll bounce like crazy). But without struts the suspension would collapse.

If you look closely at the 2nd pic you can see the radius rod in the lower front(I'm not sure what the official name of the other rod is). it controls movment laterially. All of the vertical force on the suspension is carried through the strut. The remaining forces in the front/rear and side/side directions are carried on the radius rod and the other support torwards the rear.

As for the Hp numbers there are plenty of GTO's in that range doing fine on stock parts. You can distroy stock drivetrain parts with little more than stock power if you shock load the drivetrain.
spd98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 12:35 AM   #13
gunslinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by spd98 View Post

If you look closely at the 2nd pic you can see the radius rod in the lower front(I'm not sure what the official name of the other rod is). it controls movment laterially. All of the vertical force on the suspension is carried through the strut. The remaining forces in the front/rear and side/side directions are carried on the radius rod and the other support torwards the rear.
WOW! To me, the shock and spring combo have never looked like they could really support a lot of load, like in Autocross and road racing application. They looked more at home on a Civic or Corolla, with the front of the car being a lot lighter.

So, between the spring perch on the shock and the 'hub mount' (where the shock attaches to the lower suspension) will take all the load of the engine and any extra forces placed on it during cornering... I hope those shocks are reinforced on the inside and not typical 1/16th" steel tubing!

Also, does the load bearing nature of the shock make them more expensive to produce, possibly doubling the cost of, say, a set of Koni shocks (the holy grail of affordable performance for 4th gens)?
Old 09-12-2008, 04:37 AM   #14
Rob@WretchedMS

The 3rd Gens all ran a modified McPherson strut, where the strut was the load carrying member in the front suspension, the 5th gen will be similar and will not be a weak point.

While i was a Koni guy with my 3rd gen, it will be far from the only option for the Zeta (II) cars like the G8 and Camaro, and the cost will be a bit higher for the new car simply due to the technology being a bit more advanced than the old style dampers.