Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 1st & 2nd Generation Camaros

Old 09-23-2010, 03:49 PM   #1
My 76

Drives: 1976 Camaro
Bent timing tab

I have a crate 350 in my 76 camaro. When I got the engine (used) the timing tab was bent as you can see in the pictures. I took it off and straightened it as best I could(photo). Can someone look at theirs and tell me if this is close or am I way out of the ballpark. Thanks
Attached Images

My 76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 04:13 PM   #2
69Z/28Camaro
Red Big Block Camaro

Drives: 93 C1500, VR Big Block 70 Camaro RS
im pretty sure thats how its supposed to be
my 1970 Camaro RS. Frame off restoration. 600 HP 454 Naturally Aspirated. GM Performance Heads, Comp Mechanical cam, Weiand Stealth Intake, Holley 750 Carb. Hooker and Flowmaster exhaust system. Victory Red paint, True Rally Sport.
69Z/28Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:38 PM   #3
My 76

Drives: 1976 Camaro
Yes, I hope i've got it in the right position. Its a new to my car engine and I have to set the timing. It did have the dual crossfire injection setup on it. Came out of a 82 vette but it was not the original engine.
My 76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 07:21 PM   #4
maxhunter

Drives: 3... (4 now!) camaros and counting
One thing...did the balancer come with the motor or is it off the old motor? Make sure you are using the correct balancer / tab combination for the motor.
It might just be the angle that the picture was taken, but the tab looks a little long.

If you havent got it together yet....you can do this.
Take out the #1 cylinder spark plug.
While holding your finger over the spark plug hole or a piece of tape,Turn the motor over till the timing mark is at 0 in the tab. Your finger should have been pushed off the hole from the piston coming up.......
With the distributor out, look into the hole. You should see the oil pump drive. Align the slot in the oil pump drive running front to back. Take your distributor and look at the gear on the bottom, it has a drive in the bottom of the gear that will fit into the slot of the oil pump drive rod.
Turn the rotor toward the front, and turn it a little more so that when you drop it in it will turn to align the drive on the distributor gear and the oil pump drive as it drops in. IF the dist base isn't all the way against the intake, lift the dist and move the gear one more tooth. The drive and the slot are not aligned.......
Once it is down all the way Wherever the rotor is pointing...is where you start wiring the distributor. This is number 1 cylinder plug wire spot.

I know this sounds like a lot to go through.......But you have the motor up on fire for #1 cylinder, the distributor is in and in the proper place. IF the compression does not push your finger off the plug hole, and your timing mark is at 0...you are 180 degrees off. Actually ready for #6 to fire.
If you do this and you have fuel and spark it will start and run. A timing light is a great tool to get em close.....but if the motor is not completely stock you will have to tune it to run it's best by slight tweaks as you go.