Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 12-08-2010, 09:28 AM   #1
jhyland87

Drives: 2011 2ss rs, black
IHE without tune?

So obviously, its much better to get a tune after you get intake, headers, and an exhaust, my dilemma is, im trying to postpone voiding my warranty until I have more miles on the car, I know I cant completely avoid it though.

if I get race headers, maybe high flow cats, borla ATAK exhaust, and an intake, without a tune, will the car run shitty? I know the check engine light will turn on, and that will annoy the shit out of me, but that would be fine for now. But would it hurt the car at all? Or hinder the performance?

Thanks!
jhyland87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:40 AM   #2
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
If your not going to tune, I'd do short tubes and high flow cats. You don't want to be driving around with the CEL on, you won't know if there ever actually is a problem.

Or just do the intake and exhaust, do headers later. I'd rethink the headers with the ATAK, I remember seeing several who have tried that and took it back off for being too loud and having drone.

With LT's and not tuning, it will run OK, but your not maximizing the performance. So if your not maximizing the perf, I'd just use short tubes or stock manifolds.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:18 AM   #3
overhaulengines

Drives: Red 2SS/RS M6
hello, just my view, i have kooks 1 7/8 L/T, high flow cats (kooks) and full corsa exhaust. no tune, i will tune sometime soon, planning on a cam soon, but still at lease 6 months out. i have had the long tubes about 2 months ago. now the upside is i had a big time low end torque/ hp increase, love it, i can only imagine what its gonna be like once it get tuned. yes i have the light, i do alot work on my car so when i disconnect the battery the light goes out for about 300-400 miles then come back on. it no longer bothers me. with corsa, i have ZERO drone, super quite hwy driving, but WOT, look out, its a beast.
now down side.
just as Russell James pointed out, with the CEL on, you wont know if something else goes wrong. also your not getting everything out of them, (15 hp maybe) but if you intend to tune one day, then go with them. me personally i would not have have gone with shorties even if i didnt intend to tune. that just me. i also have heard from others post that the atak is super loud with L/T's, do a search and you will find out more.

lupe
overhaulengines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:17 AM   #4
jhyland87

Is loud.. humm, kinda like it though, but wanna hear what its like from the inside
Old 12-09-2010, 08:55 AM   #5
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhyland87 View Post
So obviously, its much better to get a tune after you get intake, headers, and an exhaust, my dilemma is, im trying to postpone voiding my warranty until I have more miles on the car, I know I cant completely avoid it though.

if I get race headers, maybe high flow cats, borla ATAK exhaust, and an intake, without a tune, will the car run shitty? I know the check engine light will turn on, and that will annoy the shit out of me, but that would be fine for now. But would it hurt the car at all? Or hinder the performance?

Thanks!
If you want to Postpone voiding your Warranty DON'T TOUCH YOUR CAR Just Drive it and Put gas in it.

This is Probably the Most talked about subject, and it is Absurd, to want to modify your car and expect GM to Pay for Repairs Due to your Modifications.

As far as I know, NO one has been able to verify that they're warranty was voided due to a tune, but I suspect that could change at any time.

It is Your Car, and If you want to Personalize it you have to accept the Responsibility that goes along with it.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 04:55 PM   #6
Big Daddy Kane

Drives: Red 1SS
I put longtubes on, and my car ran fine. Engine light did come on, but it still ran strong. Of course, after the tune, it ran even better.

Kooks LT Headers/catback exhaust, E-force supercharger, JRE fuel line upgrade, JRE differential, 3.91 LPE gears, Roto-fab intake, JRE tune, DSS Carbon Fiber driveshaft, MGW shifter, Hotchkis chassis braces
Big Daddy Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:35 PM   #7
Tampa Tuning
Account Suspended

Drives: TAMPA TUNING FACEBOOK & INSTAGRAM
You can do all the bolt ons and drive the car. It should drive fine. With a tune, you'll really notice a differance in performance and the tuner will make your sensor 2 bank report no errors. You may get a code with high flow cats not set to report no errors. I never did. Its slightly differant car to car on throwing a code.
Tampa Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:06 AM   #8
jhyland87

Does it smell like shit with no cats? lol
Old 12-10-2010, 07:17 AM   #9
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Does it smell like shit with no cats? lol
Ohhhh YEAH!

Raunchy comes to mind.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:02 AM   #10
jhyland87

Whats a good setup with highflow cats and the borla atak?
Old 12-10-2010, 09:07 AM   #11
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Whats a good setup with highflow cats and the borla atak?
VaraRam "no-tune" intake, VMax ported throttle body, SOLO high flow cats/mid pipes.

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote