Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

View Poll Results: Which is the your supercharger of choice as a bolt on for a 100% bone stock L99 A6 ?
Kenne Bell 52 16.30%
Magnuson TVS2300 129 40.44%
Vortech V-3 Si-Trim Supercharger Kit 28 8.78%
Magnacharger Intercooled Supercharger 19 5.96%
L99 ProCharger High Output Intercooled P1SC Kit 23 7.21%
Edelbrock E-Force Supercharger Street Legal Kit 45 14.11%
My choice is not listed. I will post my choice on the thread. 32 10.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 319. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-19-2010, 11:17 AM   #15
2KWIK4U

Drives: 1969 Camaro and 2014 Camaro vert
I think most of the superchargers are putting out about the same for a stock application, with that said I do like the Edelbrock design. My car (I am waiting for the convertible) I am looking seriously at a turbo setup. Either way you go to get the full potential you should have dyno tune done just to make sure it doesn't fly apart at high speeds.

I would enjoy first then add the upgrades

JMO

Danny

" I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" -John Wayne "The Shootist"
2KWIK4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 12:01 PM   #16
Robert91RS

Drives: Everywhere
I am going to recomend the TVS2300 for you because of price, availability, reliability, and ease of use. I also believe it will be capable of meeting your performance goals. None of the blowers you have listed would disappoint thought. Here are the answers to your questions that I feel comfortable answering:

Quote:
First does the AFM on the L99 have to be turned off? If the AFM needs to be turned off, do the AFM lifters need to be swaped out?
You can keep your AFM in the car but if it is in your budget I do recomend you have it deleted and replace the lifters as they are the weakest link in your motor. Thats not to say you might not get 200,000 problem free miles from them, its just comforting to know your valvetrain is safe.

I like the superchargers that go on the top of the motor mostly for the look like the Magnuson TVS2300. Is that Maggie for short ? (you never know!!)
Yes same thing.

From what I understand the ones that bolt on like alternators like procharger and vortec claim to get more power because they can run intercoolers or because the run coolerGive me the pros and cons of both types of systems.
They are capable of producing more power but if you prefer the top mount blowers and don't need the extra power capacity than go with what you like. Procharger and Vortec are centrical superchargers and they build most of there boost in the upper RPMs

Does GM honor the factory warantees with the the Edelbrock E-Force Supercharger Street Legal Kit For Camaro ?
No, you will have to say good-bye to your factory drivetrain warranty in most cases. Gotta pay to play.

Which superchargere is the easiest to maintain? and lasts the longest? So I don't have to mess with it? Set it and forget it !
The Maggie definately meets those criteria better than most.

Which one can use the factory airbox?
Several of the top mounts give you that option.

What is a SAFE bolt on option that won't blow up anything on my car?
All of them in stock form are pretty safe. Its upping the boost that kills things.

What is a SAFE level of boost for the motor, tranny, and rear end?
6-7.5psi is your safe zone. You can run more but the risk goes up.

Will the supercharger be safe for a car with 30K to 60K miles on it?
Yes

Which kits require no modifications or the least modifications?
They all require some mods but top mounts are on the lighter end.

Will the stock fuel system need to be modified for my goals?
That will be dependant on your tune and boost levels.

Which will I be able to get parts for the easiest? and for years?
All the big name companys will be no problem.

Can the tranny and the rear end handle it?
As long as you don't start pushing huge power they will be ok. Most people are making 500-550RWHP through the A6 with no issues.

Can I keep the traction control system ??
Yes

Can I keep the stock GM tune??
Nope, it has to go bye-bye.

Are they all liquid cooled ??
I don't believe so.

Is the thing noisy ? I'd like a quiet one.
The Maggie and Edelbrock would probably be the quietest.

Who would you purchase from?
All the vendors who spend time posting results, feedback and advice here deserve our consideration first IMVHO.
I hope this helps you sir.
Robert91RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 12:55 PM   #17
obzidian

Drives: 98 camaro turbo
If i was going to go SC, I would go the Whipple 3.4L route! Hope that helps but I'm a turbo kind of guy and if you didn't go, the TWO fastest camaro's out there were turbo cars!
Old 04-19-2010, 03:01 PM   #18
Granatelli
Account Suspended

Drives: 2SS Victory Red
I am sure you will get good advise from eveyone else

Last edited by Granatelli; 04-20-2010 at 10:53 AM.
Granatelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 03:11 PM   #19
Granatelli
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by obzidian View Post
If i was going to go SC, I would go the Whipple 3.4L route! Hope that helps but I'm a turbo kind of guy and if you didn't go, the TWO fastest camaro's out there were turbo cars!
The Whipple is not there yet in terms of a complete and proven kit and you can make 900hp with a TVS2300

Last edited by Granatelli; 04-20-2010 at 10:54 AM.
Old 04-19-2010, 03:57 PM   #20
Vinz68

Drives: 68,69,72&10 Camaro's 12 CTS-V
I think a Maggie will work great for you. I had alot of other work done at the same time so I don't really know what just a Maggie on a totally stock car would be like. My car put down 635 hp 595 tq to the tire and I'm very happy with it...
Old 04-19-2010, 04:45 PM   #21
HaddadMotorsports

Drives: Camaro
[QUOTE=2010 Bumblebee;1732016]
First does the AFM on the L99 have to be turned off?

NO, magnacharger's tune leaves it intact, most have my customers including myself have opted to turn it off.

what happeneds when boost for 8 cylinders gets pushed into 4 cylinders when the AFM is on?

Not possible unless somebody really messes up your tune, this tuner should be shot however. I'm not going to get into all the parameters that are required for DOD/AFM to be active but, simply put you will not make boost anywhere near any of these parameters.

or are those valves open and just no fuel is being pumped in?

DOD actually disables the lifters and the injectors, hence killing that cylnder

If that's the case wouldn't a supercharger dry the cylinder walls?

Not the case

If the AFM needs to be turned off, do the AFM lifters need to be swaped out?

NO

From what I understand the ones that bolt on like alternators like procharger and vortec claim to get more power because they can run intercoolers or because the run coolerGive me the pros and cons of both types of systems.

This answer is a complex one. However all of these systems are intercooled and/or aftercooled. If you want my take on this question please feel free to call me. There are benefits to each system.

Does GM honor the factory warantees with the the Edelbrock E-Force Supercharger Street Legal Kit For Camaro ?
(meaning this one does not void the GM 5y/100,000m warantee)

Not that I know of

Which superchargere is the easiest to maintain? and lasts the longest? So I don't have to mess with it?
Set it and forget it !

Magnacharger all the way

Which one can use the factory airbox? Does anything have to be moved?

Magnacharger, things always have to be moved, ie. we have to move your intake manifold to the garbage can

What is a SAFE bolt on option that won't blow up anything on my car?

There are a lot of answers to this question, It all depends on what your going to do with the car, what octane you have available, how good your tune is etc.

What is a SAFE level of boost for the motor, tranny, and rear end?

Boost is somewhat irrelevant, Efficiency is very relevant, We've made 800rwhp on 11lbs, we've also seen cars have trouble making 500rwhp on 11lbs, in this particular scenario your tranny and rear end would be fine at 11lbs assuming you made 500rwhp, at 800rwhp forget about it. . The moral of the story is horsepower is more relevant than boost.

Will the supercharger be safe to put on a car with 30K to 60K miles on it?

Yes

Which kits require no modifications or the least modifications?

Magnacharger

Will the stock fuel system need to be modified for my goals?

You will need to upgrade injectors. The Magnacharger somes with that

Which will I be able to get parts for the easiest? and for years?

Magnacharger, vortech, ati, have been around for many years and i don't think any of them are going anywhere any time soon.

Do I need to drill the crank ? and how? is it easy if needed?

Yes you should pin the crank, again the magnacharger comes with a pinning kit. Its a relatively pain free operation, and its hard to mess up with the supplied jig.

Can the tranny and the rear end handle it?

Yes, we've been beating up on theses car and the G8's for several years now and havn't lost one yet. In fact i had my car making 650rwhp on slicks for around a month, car is still my daily driver and I havn't touched any of the factory long block or drivetrain

Can I keep the traction control system ??

Yes

Can I keep the stock GM tune??

NO, unless you like holes in your pistons

Are they all liquid cooled ??

The magnacharger is an air to water system, not sure if anyone offers an air to air system yet, but I'm sure it exists.

Which kits are you all using ?

Whatever is right for the customer

What are your HP ratings?

HP is relevant to $. So how much you want to spend = HP, for a million $ I'll set you up with a nice 2000rwhp daily driver on pump gas.

What do you run at the track?

This question is somewhat irrelevant. If i run 11.8's at California speedway, I'll probably run 11.3's at atco. Not mention are we talking about winter or summer.

Is the thing noisy ? I'd like a quiet one.

A TVS 2300 is all but non existent on a stock car

Who have you purchased from? or would you purchase from?

I hear Haddad Motorsports has great customer service, and there prices can't be beat.

How much did your supercharger cost you start to finish??

Feel free to give us a call

Any regrets ???? Final tips or Suggestions ?

My only tip is that anyone with questions regarding any of these boosted systems should give us a call, its what i do for a living, and I won't bs you. There is logic to everything I say and do, and if we Don't know something I'll get you in touch with the guy that designed it.

I think my first step will be to reinforce the car first.
None of the reinforcements should void my warantee, I think.
And they probably need to be done anyway.

The zeta platform is one of the most rigid GM has ever produced and reinforcements are not typically needed unless we're going to push the limits.

Thanks
Mike Haddad
HaddadMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 04:55 PM   #22
Granatelli
Account Suspended

It is not alwasy about the cheapest price - it is about service too.

Last edited by Granatelli; 04-20-2010 at 10:55 AM.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:28 PM   #23
bumblebeecamaro
Car Lover By Nature

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue Metallic SS
get the Maggie TVS2300, a good set of long tube headers (like the Dynatechs) and a good cold air intake like the ADM and you'll be all set.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:46 PM   #24
Granatelli
Account Suspended

GMS air intake with Maggie TVS2300
Old 04-20-2010, 06:03 PM   #25
Hendrix-Engineering
Account Suspended

Drives: First 9 inch-12 bolt IRS Camaro
tvs 1900

i wanted a 2300 but was asked to give the 1900 a test. First impression is this is all i need,i bought this car to develope the bolt in 9 inch rear kitt we have ,i wanted a lil more punch without needing a fuel system and a big clutch to hold it.. The 1900 is a great blower at a great price.If i can answer any questions give us a call
Hendrix-Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:47 AM   #26
2010 Bumblebee

Drives: Transformers Edition Camaro 2SS/RS
TVS2300 track times & TVS2300 w/traction control "on"

Hello,

Thanks for all the great answers! If anyone else wants to answer those questions feel free to post your answers ! More info & opinions are welcome.

Some new questions;

1/4 MILE TRACK TIMES

What will the car run with a TVS2300 @ 6psi with the Magnuson tune that comes with the unit on a 100% stock 2010 camaro ss?
(more or less, or estimates)

What will that same car do with the TVS2300, CAI, tune, & short headers?
(more or less, or estimates)

TRACTION CONTROL ISSUES

What happeneds to a 2010 supercharged camaro ss L99 A6 with 6psi of boost when you floor it with the traction control in the "on" position?

Does is just not go anywhere?

Does it go and then bog down?

Does it go better than stock?

Is it a pain/annoying to drive?

TUNE QUESTIONS

Right now the car has two modes "D" & "S";

Can you have one tune for the "D" mode & one tune for the "S" mode ??

What happends to those two modes after the maggie tune?

What happends to those two modes after any tune?

Do the "D" & "S" modes get lost in the tune?

Which mode does the tune reside?

Northern Massachusetts & Southern New Hampshire Camaro Club
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/group.php?groupid=127

The mother of all supercharger questions thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77958

My 2010 Camaro Review
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2025442#post2025442

2010 Transformer Edition Camaro L99 Auto

Last edited by 2010 Bumblebee; 04-22-2010 at 12:06 PM.
2010 Bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 12:14 PM   #27
HaddadMotorsports

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 Bumblebee View Post
Hello,

Thanks for all the great answers! If anyone else wants to answer those questions feel free to post your answers ! More info & opinions are welcome.

Some new questions;

1/4 MILE TRACK TIMES

What will the car run with a TVS2300 @ 6psi on a 100% stock 2010 camaro ss? (more or less, or estimates)

Mid 12's bad track hot day, low 12's good track good day.

What will that same car do with the TVS2300, CAI, tune, & short headers? (more or less, or estimates)

A couple of tenths faster than previously stated. Long Tube headers are where its at though, LT's will put you in the 11's all day anywhere.

TRACTION CONTROL ISSUES

What happeneds to a 2010 supercharged camaro ss L99 A6 with 6psi of boost when you floor it with the traction control in the "on" position?

It still works about the same. If you get rid of torque management it starts having a little bit of trouble keeping up. More importantly what are you doing at full throttle with traction control on?

Does is just not go anywhere?

It'll pull timing and/or throttle until the tires stick again.

Does it go and then bog down?

Kind of

Does it go better than stock?

Is it a pain/annoying to drive?

Turn traction control off, and it won't be a problem. It was designed for snow/ice, that the only time it should come into play.

TUNE QUESTIONS

Right now the car has two modes "D" & "S";

Can you have one tune for the "D" mode & one tune for the "S" mode ??

Yes a good tuner can do that for you

What happends to those two modes after the maggie tune?

Magnacharger doesn't do much for the tranny, for many good reasons. However there a good results to be had in the hands of a professional

What happends to those two modes after any tune?

Do the "D" & "S" modes get lost in the tune?

Which mode does the tune reside?
When a car is tuned the only parameters that get changed are the ones being requested. I.E. if i want to change timing, thats the only part of the tune that changes.

Hope this helps

Thanks
Mike Haddad
HaddadMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 01:42 PM   #28
JJ2010

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaddadMotorsports View Post
When a car is tuned the only parameters that get changed are the ones being requested. I.E. if i want to change timing, thats the only part of the tune that changes.

Hope this helps

Thanks
Mike Haddad
Great answers.....
JJ2010 is offline   Reply With Quote