Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 04-17-2013, 12:50 PM   #71
Bad70supreme

Drives: 2010 aqua blue SS/RS M6
I say 12 flat at 118 and I cant wait to see what it does! If I ever get my hands on one it will see drag strip duty regardless of what its built to do best! None of the 5th gens are built around the drag strip but how many of us do it!
Old 04-17-2013, 02:19 PM   #72
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Correct the gearing will help the Z/28 in the 1/4. Calculators show it at 11.8
The 1Gen Z/28 SUPRISINGLY didn't suck. In fact it was almost as fast as the top 396.
....true, the 3.73 in the ZL1 with the tranny gearing does not trap out very high RPM wise in 4th gear, there's too much motor left in the quarter. Shorter gears would benefit the ZL1 in the quarter and road course, but would compromise the 186 MPH <governed> top end. It's amazingly balanced for top end, all length's of road courses and quarter mile as it could possibly be. The Z/28..not...it's bred for road racing with winding, twisting turns..., the more, the merrier! The 1320' times are going to be something better than the ZL1 I believe. It'll dig out and wind up easier with the TR6060, 3:91's, 300 lb. diet and 7,100 redline..awesome....
Old 04-17-2013, 03:24 PM   #73
dekan513
chevy pride

Drives: 2ss/rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad70supreme View Post
I say 12 flat at 118 and I cant wait to see what it does! If I ever get my hands on one it will see drag strip duty regardless of what its built to do best! None of the 5th gens are built around the drag strip but how many of us do it!
i been lookin for a way to say that , but im not good with words lol. tryin to talk my dad into buying one. he was about to get a zl1 , but now ive almost got him talked in to a z.
i cant afford one so next best thing is talk the ol man into one.

check out ky speeds fb page https://www.facebook.com/kyspeed
dekan513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:44 PM   #74
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
....true, the 3.73 in the ZL1 with the tranny gearing does not trap out very high RPM wise in 4th gear, there's too much motor left in the quarter. Shorter gears would benefit the ZL1 in the quarter and road course, but would compromise the 186 MPH <governed> top end. It's amazingly balanced for top end, all length's of road courses and quarter mile as it could possibly be. The Z/28..not...it's bred for road racing with winding, twisting turns..., the more, the merrier! The 1320' times are going to be something better than the ZL1 I believe. It'll dig out and wind up easier with the TR6060, 3:91's, 300 lb. diet and 7,100 redline..awesome....
I'll be surprised if it beats the ZL1 in the 1/4. I think it'll come close though.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:09 PM   #75
CamaroTom

Drives: 1/70 2013 BRM 2SS RS 1LE NPP NAV
If the 1LE can run a 12.7, the Z28 will be low 12's at least. Take a 1LE add roughly 70hp to the wheels and tires with even more grip off the line.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:09 AM   #76
Sweet Zness
Because I Can

Drives: 08 IOM G8GT 11 Victory Red SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfatuated View Post
That was painful to read, on multiple levels.

Most important factors for road-course performance of a street-legal car, in order of importance:

Driver
Suspension
Brakes
Weight
Naturally aspirated engine with a linear power delivery

Well then help ME understand. Will this car be allowed to race in NASA, SCCA, or Grand Am? How will it be classified within THEIR rules?

If it won't be, then congrats. We are touting a "real road racer" that is merely a road racer on the street. Or a road racer that built for people who understand this car might not be sanctioned to race. Or in other words, a road racer that can't officially road race. Built for less than one half of one percent of the population who would road race it as compared to the masses who would romp on it next to a competitor.

So who doesn't get it?
Sweet Zness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:27 AM   #77
orthojoe

Drives: Subaru BRZ, Porsche Boxster Spyder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Zness View Post
Well then help ME understand. Will this car be allowed to race in NASA, SCCA, or Grand Am? How will it be classified within THEIR rules?

If it won't be, then congrats. We are touting a "real road racer" that is merely a road racer on the street. Or a road racer that built for people who understand this car might not be sanctioned to race. Or in other words, a road racer that can't officially road race. Built for less than one half of one percent of the population who would road race it as compared to the masses who would romp on it next to a competitor.

So who doesn't get it?
That would be you. You don't get it.

The new Z/28 is not some race car built for a specific series of races. It is a car that is still street legal so you can drive to/from a track, and still be able to participate in trackdays/HPDE/TT/club racing/etc (an increasing popular sport/hobby that Chevy is focusing on). Just because there isn't a specific spec series for the new Z/28, you're calling it irrelevant? Why wouldn't the new Z/28 be allowed to race in NASA/SCCA clubs? You're allow to race anything with them. There's a class for everything.

I'll refer you to this thread:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=288706
orthojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:29 AM   #78
NightmareZL1
Can't stop ***ifying

Drives: Ashen 2013 Gray ZL1
12.8 at 115. heavy car.
Rotofab, grinding rear diff sound forever, dealer replaced supercharger - now i have a rattle when starting from a stop, ordered 2.35 lingenfelter pulley, hp tuner, belt, 100mm idler pulley, tr7IX spark plugs, wideband kit, long tubes with no cats...hoping for 650hp. dyno with rotofab = 518hp
NightmareZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:12 AM   #79
IOMZL1

Drives: 2015 Z/28 | 2017 Viper ACR Extreme
Quote:
Originally Posted by orthojoe View Post

The new Z/28 is not some race car built for a specific series of races. It is a car that is still street legal so you can drive to/from a track, and still be able to participate in trackdays/HPDE/TT/club racing/etc (an increasing popular sport/hobby that Chevy is focusing on). Just because there isn't a specific spec series for the new Z/28, you're calling it irrelevant? Why wouldn't the new Z/28 be allowed to race in NASA/SCCA clubs? You're allow to race anything with them. There's a class for everything.

dougshelbyengineering.com

www.facebook.com/dougshelbyengineering

www.instagram.com/dougshelbyengineering
IOMZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:22 AM   #80

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
I remember on the car show re-fresh video the gentleman when he introduced the Z/28 said something like,"....it's not made for 0-60, or the 1/4 mile....although you can certainly do that if you want to".....something to that effect...just sayin'...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:26 AM   #81
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightmareZL1 View Post
12.8 at 115. heavy car.
FAIL! Use a 1/4 calculator and you get 11.8.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:53 PM   #82
Sweet Zness
Because I Can

Drives: 08 IOM G8GT 11 Victory Red SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by orthojoe View Post

No it would be YOU who don't. For the same price you can get a very gently used to all but new z06. You really want to road race, the idea is to do it well and not suck. You can buy a Z06 and beat the guy in the Z28 or lose all day every day to those who are running them.

So we are talking about a 70-80K CAMARO, Im sorry... engineered for racing Camaro that will not be allowed in any series racing, but hey if you and your buds want to hit a trackday then that's what we are building this car for, excuses kinda sucks.

So you build a car without sound deadening materials, and no air with one speaker, because you know only the most serious racers would that make a difference with, but its not designed for those most serious of racers in any kind of series racing, just trackdays. Got it
Sweet Zness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:08 PM   #83
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
I remember on the car show re-fresh video the gentleman when he introduced the Z/28 said something like,"....it's not made for 0-60, or the 1/4 mile....although you can certainly do that if you want to".....something to that effect...just sayin'...
That line does 2 things; it confirms the Z/28 as a road course specific car and promotes the things done to the ZL1 for making it the 1/4 mile Brut! (Just add a little this and that)

Also, it will allow the Z/28 to be praised for its 1/4 mile capabilities.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:10 PM   #84
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Zness View Post
No it would be YOU who don't. For the same price you can get a very gently used to all but new z06. You really want to road race, the idea is to do it well and not suck. You can buy a Z06 and beat the guy in the Z28 or lose all day every day to those who are running them.

So we are talking about a 70-80K CAMARO, Im sorry... engineered for racing Camaro that will not be allowed in any series racing, but hey if you and your buds want to hit a trackday then that's what we are building this car for, excuses kinda sucks.

So you build a car without sound deadening materials, and no air with one speaker, because you know only the most serious racers would that make a difference with, but its not designed for those most serious of racers in any kind of series racing, just trackdays. Got it
Really???