Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 05-31-2013, 04:30 PM   #1
jasonfichter

Drives: 2017 A10 ZL1
Transmission problems v6

I have a 2012 2lt Camaro that i just bought about a month ago. It currently has 18,500 miles on it so its pretty new. About 2 weeks ago I installed a set of eagle eye lights and footwell lighting with no problems. The car has been great since then until two days ago. At first the car was giving me a check engine light and put itself in limp mode because of transmission voltage issues.

I had the car towed to the dealer and they had it all day today and told me that there was faulty wiring on the transmission and they fixed it and were about to take it for a test drive. About a hour later they called back saying now it is reading half a dozen codes, from steering issues to transmission issues and finally engine failures.

They also say they are going to remove my footwell and headlights to see if that will fix it, which i doubt it will.

So out off all of this they say that all of this is caused by my headlights and that it was my fault.I was wondering if any of you guys have experienced these issues in your cars and have you recently installed any lighting in your car.
jasonfichter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:11 AM   #2
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
We call those multiple ghost codes, there is an electrical fault somewhere in your car.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:18 AM   #3
jasonfichter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCool5 View Post
We call those multiple ghost codes, there is an electrical fault somewhere in your car.
Do you think it could be related to my headlights because that is what the dealer thinks
Old 06-01-2013, 12:19 PM   #4
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonfichter View Post
I have a 2012 2lt Camaro that i just bought about a month ago. It currently has 18,500 miles on it so its pretty new. About 2 weeks ago I installed a set of eagle eye lights and footwell lighting with no problems. The car has been great since then until two days ago. At first the car was giving me a check engine light and put itself in limp mode because of transmission voltage issues.

I had the car towed to the dealer and they had it all day today and told me that there was faulty wiring on the transmission and they fixed it and were about to take it for a test drive. About a hour later they called back saying now it is reading half a dozen codes, from steering issues to transmission issues and finally engine failures.

They also say they are going to remove my footwell and headlights to see if that will fix it, which i doubt it will.

So out off all of this they say that all of this is caused by my headlights and that it was my fault.I was wondering if any of you guys have experienced these issues in your cars and have you recently installed any lighting in your car.
Hello jasonfichter,

Sorry you had some difficulties here. So are you currently experiencing the same issue and are your headlights and footwell still installed?

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 06-01-2013, 12:24 PM   #5
jasonfichter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
Hello jasonfichter,

Sorry you had some difficulties here. So are you currently experiencing the same issue and are your headlights and footwell still installed?

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Yeas I am still having the problems but now the dealer got rid of the safe mode but it still has the codes. The dealer said they will remove all of my lights on Monday when they open and try and fix the car again. I doubt it is the lights though because the dealer said the codes went away until the car got back on the highway, which tells me it isn't the lights because they would have come back immediately. And I've had the lights on the car for 2 weeks with no problems.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:11 PM   #6
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Quote:
Yeas I am still having the problems but now the dealer got rid of the safe mode but it still has the codes. The dealer said they will remove all of my lights on Monday when they open and try and fix the car again. I doubt it is the lights though because the dealer said the codes went away until the car got back on the highway, which tells me it isn't the lights because they would have come back immediately. And I've had the lights on the car for 2 weeks with no problems.
Understood jasonfichter. Please keep me informed on the results of Monday's visit and the progress made. You can private message me directly and if needed I will gather more information from you to assist you.

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 06-01-2013, 01:14 PM   #7
jasonfichter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
Understood jasonfichter. Please keep me informed on the results of Monday's visit and the progress made. You can private message me directly and if needed I will gather more information from you to assist you.

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Ok thanks very much for your concern. I'll keep you posted.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:54 PM   #8
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Quote:
Ok thanks very much for your concern. I'll keep you posted.
Perfect. It's no problem at all jasonfichter. Here to help.

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 06-03-2013, 02:36 PM   #9
jasonfichter

So i just got off the phone with the dealer and they said that they unplugged my footwell lighting and my headlights and fixed some wiring in the transmission and now the car runs completely fine. They said that both of the lighting systems were back feeding to the car causing the computer to freak out. Now how could that be because the footwell lighting draws power, not creates it so thats not it and the headlights are completely plug and play and thousands of people have used them with no problems. They also charged me $130 to unplug the headlights and footwell lights. I think they were just saying it was the lights not the wiring in the transmission to make me pay for it.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:05 PM   #10
A Town

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS LS3
Never had that problem. I have footwell lights and headlights. You got got for your loot like always at stealerships.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:09 PM   #11
jasonfichter

just got my car back and put in the footwell lighting back in and no problems so far.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:30 AM   #12
Hannibal

Drives: Camaro SS & ZL1
Quote:
So i just got off the phone with the dealer and they said that they unplugged my footwell lighting and my headlights and fixed some wiring in the transmission and now the car runs completely fine. They said that both of the lighting systems were back feeding to the car causing the computer to freak out. Now how could that be because the footwell lighting draws power, not creates it so thats not it and the headlights are completely plug and play and thousands of people have used them with no problems. They also charged me $130 to unplug the headlights and footwell lights. I think they were just saying it was the lights not the wiring in the transmission to make me pay for it.
Your wiring may have been drawing current and altering the voltage. This will in fact "freak out" a computer controlled vehicle in certain cases. This could be what they were trying to explain to you.
Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
limp mode, problems, transmission